Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

**VIDEO** Ruger PC Steel Shoot

With the new "AW" laws here in CA, I have transitioned to the Ruger PC Carbine for my USPSA and Steel Shoot race gun.

Coming from a 9mm AR platform there is a learning curve (for me at least) to shoot this rig at speed.

But it has been fun and I enjoy trying and using new rigs.

I just keep hammering away with it and every match I seem to pick up a bit more speed and muscle memory is starting to kick in.

Anyways, here is a video from Tuesday Steel (7-3-18) at the Redding Gun Club.

I still have a ways to go...you will note the misses (who says you can't miss fast enough!?!?), and at my age (pushing 50) there is only so much I can do. But I always walk away with a smile on my face and that is why I keep goingh back for more punishment!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbEZ-nP-6EM

Edited by BigBamBoo

Thanks folks. 

Yes, this rig is a very viable option for anyone wanting to try PCC without spending a bunch of money. Or for folks like myself who are in a state that has assault weapons (whatever that is) ban it gives us the option to stay legal.

Jack. Yes, it is very flat shooting. I owe that to the weight of the rig...7 lbs 1 oz unloaded...and the relatively short recoil stroke.

I am using WWB 115gr ammo. 

Transitioning from the 9mm AR platform has not been all that difficult. It is like handling and shooting any shotgun or hunting type rifle.

I can tell you that the Volquartsen trigger does make for better splits. The factory trigger is what it is, and I like a good, lighter trigger with clean break and positive reset.

And while it will never be as nice as a good AR trigger, I can live with it. 

I am sure with the popularity of the Ruger PC, more and more aftermarket products will be available for it in the future. 

4 minutes ago, MatroskinT said:

What is the muzzle break that you are using?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It is the Allchin 9mm brake.

Not sure how much the brake actually does with a 16” barrel. I know it looks like a lot of discharge in the video. I plan on wrapping some painters tape over it to see if it will blow through it. That should show whether any real force is generated by the comp.

I like seeing more rugers Shooting uspsa and steel challenge , I got mine last month,,, love [emoji173]️ it !!! Very happy with it , I also use the allchin comp , not much dot movement at all .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was bad ass, way cool! Every Tuesday is real sweet.

I saw the review of the Ruger PCC in the Dillon catalog, looked interesting and very well thought out.

I'm guessing the smartest guy at Ruger came up with the idea of being able to use  Glock  mags !

Yes, if Ruger had made this carbine to only accept their mags....like the old PC9...they would probable only sell about the same amount as they did with the PC9.

Being able to accept Glock mags has made it a hot ticket item.

Makes you wonder why they do not redisgn the Mini-14 to accept AR mags?

Another Tuesday Night Steel video.

It was pretty "warm".....read 104 in the shade. 

There were 13 hearty souls who came out and shot. Seemed like none of us where on our A game. Still a good time.

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 2:21 PM, BigBamBoo said:

It is the Allchin 9mm brake.

Not sure how much the brake actually does with a 16” barrel. I know it looks like a lot of discharge in the video. I plan on wrapping some painters tape over it to see if it will blow through it. That should show whether any real force is generated by the comp. 

Before I get to the quote, I thought I was the only redneck who had a hankey hanging out of his back pocket when it was stupid hot out. You sweat, you need something to wipe it off with, function over fashion I always say. Besides, you said you were pushing 50, I pushed it a year and a half ago. What do we give a s**t what anyone thinks?

As far as the quote, I shot my 6th classifier on Sunday, plus one steel match in March. With working up a load when I built the gun and practice, lets say 2000rds so far. I built a .750 diameter muzzle brake out of aluminum to keep the weight down. The barrel is thin and the brake blends with the crush washer and the diameter at the very end of the barrel. I copied my basic brake design with 3 larger cross holes and  three .125 holes drilled from the top into the through hole in the brake. When I gave the gun a once over on Monday all three small holes were plugged up tight with s**t !

I never knew if a brake would do anything on a 9mm with a 16" barrel, but I would say now it's doing something.

Nice shooting also, you manipulate that conventional stocked gun very well. 

Edited by SJMPCC022
spelling

LOL....YES...need my hankey. I sweat like a ho in church when it gets over 100 degrees.

I see more folks on here playing with mid brakes, popples, etc. I have come to the conclusion that for these 9mm PCC rigs...we shooters just like to play with our toys. And hey! If we trip over something that works....take yes for an answer.

I can tell you for me I have had so much fun in USPSA and Steel shoots since I switched to the PCC's. With my aging eyes, the dot was a game changer for me. Shooting open sights on my pistols was very frustrating as my sights would disappear leaving me shooting wildly at the targets.

Edited by BigBamBoo

Amen Brother! That ho in church thing, totally get it !

Due to circumstances beyond my control, ( getting married at the same time I started the USPSA program at my club, was the president of said club and did all the work at said club) s**t got real and I had to make a decision.......................................................................... I walked away.

Fast forward 12 years and someone decided to you could build an AR to chamber a 9mm.  I'm in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The last classifier I shot before the steel match I mentioned earlier was in 2005. This 9mm carbine has made me want to shoot USPSA again ! I also agree 100% on what you said about the dot. My career up until now consisted of single stack when it used to be limited, then limited 10, and at the end revolver. Holy shi*ski do I like that dot !  Add in the fact of a rifle that you can't feel( hardly) any recoil and us old guys look pretty good amongst the kids and the guns they shoot now that cost twice as much as my first pick up truck!

In all honesty I love every one of those kids because they have a USPSA # by their name and they are too busy shooting to spray paint buildings or be a general blight on society. They are polite, respectful and appreciative for any info they can get, and give me a glimmer of hope for the future.

Keep rocking that Ruger PCC, with the hankey, and don't stop the videos! They are awesome to watch!

5 hours ago, BigBamBoo said:

LOL....YES...need my hankey. I sweat like a ho in church when it gets over 100 degrees.

I see more folks on here playing with mid brakes, popples, etc. I have come to the conclusion that for these 9mm PCC rigs...we shooters just like to play with our toys. And hey! If we trip over something that works....take yes for an answer.

I can tell you for me I have had so much fun in USPSA and Steel shoots since I switched to the PCC's. With my aging eyes, the dot was a game changer for me. Shooting open sights on my pistols was very frustrating as my sights would disappear leaving me shooting wildly at the targets. 

Edited by SJMPCC022
grammer