Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 929 chambered in 9x21?

Daniele

a box stock 12lb trigger gun should light off anything that can light off. 

I'ma gunsmith at an indoor range. I see more function problems with Winchester white box than all other brands of 9mm put together. This is primarily in bottom feeders, as my 929 customers hand load.

We don't sell white box, it's not actually very common at the range, but almost all gun failures that require gunsmith assistance to clear are Winchester white box. Yesterday the case was too long for the chamber, I've seen that one quite a bit.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2018 at 11:04 AM, Daniele said:

MWP , that is exactly what I'd like to do: import it as chambered in 9mm x 21mm or import only the cylinder

Can you still get 929 cylinders from S&W?  I looked pretty hard and couldn't find one.  I also called, but I'll be the first to admit I'm lacking in "people" skills.

45 minutes ago, Justin M said:

Can you still get 929 cylinders from S&W?  I looked pretty hard and couldn't find one.  I also called, but I'll be the first to admit I'm lacking in "people" skills.

I'm 99% sure they never sold just a cylinder. 

I'm doing that same thing.  Putting 627 cylinders into two 929s.  A revolver shooter, much better than me, had said something about the idea at our sectional.  I had been considering it for a couple of reasons.  I just walked in from the shop to refill my coffee.  First 929 will be done in about 30 minutes, give or take.  

18 minutes ago, Justin M said:

I'm doing that same thing.  Putting 627 cylinders into two 929s.  A revolver shooter, much better than me, had said something about the idea at our sectional.  I had been considering it for a couple of reasons.  I just walked in from the shop to refill my coffee.  First 929 will be done in about 30 minutes, give or take.  

Let us know how that goes. Are you cutting the 627 cylinder down or the barrel? You'll also have issues using the 929 crane as its shorter than a 627 crane, so headspacing will be a bit long for a normal firing pin. 

Barrel cut down and forcing cone cut.  I noticed the crane difference.  I've been toying with the idea of making a bushing to put at the end of the yokes to control end-play (cut down the yoke .100" or so and press in a hard steel bushing) for a better, more permanent fitting - in lieu of washers.  For now, though, I plan on just using bearing shims like I've been doing.  I also had to "tune" that little bump on the frame that keeps the cylinder from flopping off when it's open.  Not much, just a bit.  I cut about .008" off of the center bearing and ratchets to close up the headspace as well. It's sitting just under .065" now. 

55416304896__9608B46C-0064-4CFB-97D0-C99CAA9B3F32.JPG.jpeg

For the record, if anyone is interested in doing this it's about .006" difference between the yoke on the 929 and a "regular" 627 yoke.  I didn't put a depth mic on them, I'm just going my the shims I used minus the .008" or so I cut off of the center bearing & ratchets to reduce headspace. I used a single .015" die shim.  

Edited by Justin M