Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flying M 2000?

robert3405

I just got into Steel Challenge this year so I'm a newbie.  I notice there once was a stage called Flying M 2000?  I was wondering why it's not listed or doesn't appear to be used in official SCSA shoots anymore?  I've searched the interweb but couldn't find anything.  Looks like an interesting stage. 

July is a busy month for me.  I've got my local shoot July 21 and then I'm traveling to the Area 5 Steel Challenge in Riley, IN July 27-28.  I'll be staying at the Holiday Inn in Terre Haute.  If anyone else is going to the Area 5 shoot maybe I'll see you there!  

There have been a couple of SC stages that have been retired since the sport was first introduced & Flying M 2000 is one of them.  Can't tell you the history of why .... BTW, the reason Speed Option is called what it is is because one of the plates used to be 'optional' meaning you didn't have to shoot it but if you did and hit it you got time subtracted from your run .... the top shooters were so good at doing it they started to get scores less than zero so it was abandoned ...

I think Mike and Mike got rid of Flying M 2000 because the stage ran slower than the others, causing a backup.  It was the only stage other than Outer Limits that required movement, and we shot 5 strings, instead of just 4 as we do for Outer Limits.  It also required the shooter to holster and turn/move uprange to get back to the starting position.  It was a fun stage though.  Lot's of stutter stepping, just like in Outer Limits.

Seiichi