Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which is your favorite CZ and why?

Gcarr

Like the topic asks... Which is your favorite CZ and why?

I have kind of gone in a circle... My first CZ was a 75 Shadow SA. Next came a LSP... then SP01 Shadow... followed by Shadow 2... and now I am back to liking my 75 Shadow (DA now). And a PO7 for carry...

What I found ...

75 Shadow SA - wanted a DA for Production 

LSP -  I found It top heavy

SP01 Shadow Custom - small grip 

Shadow 2 - never shot it that much, loved the grip but gun felt heavy

Thinking of getting another CZ ... just undecided on which... Maybe a Bull Shadow or Accu Light... Help?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't shoot competition, just EDC CZ's.

I bought a P07 DUTY in .40 S&W for a project.  Took it to the range and shot it.  No way I'm messing up anything that shoots groups like that.  Only mods to it are the optic cut for the DI RMR, the cut and installation in the slide for the BUIS and the taller front sight by Primary Machine, as well as replacing the factory trigger return spring and the firing pin block spring with the reduced power versions from CGW and a grip wrap/tape to keep it from moving around on those days when I sweat so bad it gets slick/slimy.  I carry that pistol (12 round magazine in it and an extended P09 magazine for back up) anytime I get in the car/truck to go somewhere (shopping/eating/visiting relatives.)

I bought an old Pre B CZ85 for a knock around gun and it was a bit long/big for IWB carry during the summer months (no issues with the outside the waist band/winter time carry).  Ended up having to do more work to make it right than I expected and ended up with a really nice pistol.  Loved those CZ85 controls.  Got the urge to convert a CZ75 Compact to CZ85 controls so I bought one, bought the parts and did the measuring/figuring/drilling/fitting and now I carry a CZ85 Compact/clone for everyday around the house/garage/property.

I've bought more CZ's since those but none of them fit the bill for EDC like those two.  Recently I bought a P01 Omega and it's about to try and bump the CZ85 Compact/clone as my knock around pistol.

My best (most accurate) range gun is the P09 9MM.  It even beats out the Tactical Sport .40 for small groups.  The only centerfire handgun I have that keeps up with the P09 9MM is my old S&W 586 with the 6" barrel.

The Tactical Sport Orange. It is a gun that is worth more than it's price. I have shot guns with a much higher price point and some of them just can't compare. It simply eats anything you feed it. The stock trigger is unbelievable. I don't know how much you know about competition shooting, but I took a two day class with Robert Vogel. I let him feel the trigger to which he responded "Whoa." The next day he said "I have to get me one of these to play with." He later asked if he could shoot it. After he did that, I had everyone else in the class come up and ask if they could shoot it. Several said they were going to get one or start saving up for one. (This was even the STI guys.)

Started with an SP01 and had it Cajunized that made a big difference. Picked up a 75B in .40 and did it the same way that gun is fun, got a PCR for EDC. Started shooting some competition so I got rid of my only Polymer which was a Walther PPQ M2 and replaced it with a Tactical Sport which I just got. I enjoy each one I shoot.

41 minutes ago, BLUEPSTU said:

The Tactical Sport Orange. It is a gun that is worth more than it's price. I have shot guns with a much higher price point and some of them just can't compare. It simply eats anything you feed it. The stock trigger is unbelievable. I don't know how much you know about competition shooting, but I took a two day class with Robert Vogel. I let him feel the trigger to which he responded "Whoa." The next day he said "I have to get me one of these to play with." He later asked if he could shoot it. After he did that, I had everyone else in the class come up and ask if they could shoot it. Several said they were going to get one or start saving up for one. (This was even the STI guys.)

Ben Stoeger asked to try out my TSO. He had the same response. He mentioned having sent his Tanfo to Patriot for a trigger job. I can't shoot for s#!t but my off the shelf TSO is better than his Tanfo-whatever.

I'm rounding out 7500 rounds without cleaning, which includes a two day class and a USPSA state match. 

^not a chance it makes 45oz with an optic and a 140mm mag. there is a reason why even on the czub website they don't list the weight. and ipsc prod optics doesn't have our uspsa weight limit, so they made it for that game not ours.

i really would like to own a TSO. and a bren. and a shadowline p01. and a couple dan wessons. and one of the .22lr rifles.

1 hour ago, rowdyb said:

^not a chance it makes 45oz with an optic and a 140mm mag. there is a reason why even on the czub website they don't list the weight. and ipsc prod optics doesn't have our uspsa weight limit, so they made it for that game not ours.

i really would like to own a TSO. and a bren. and a shadowline p01. and a couple dan wessons. and one of the .22lr rifles.

Get your G card and strut your ass on the Shot, NRA, MM show circuit. They'll throw some hardware at you. 

1 hour ago, rowdyb said:

I imagine you're right, and I'll stick to my SP01 Shadow...

Well.. I tweeked my SP01 as far as I could for limited.. comp hammer, czc sao trigger, palmswells, extrawide LHS, cts 9mm upper and put 50 matches on this rig .. Then picked up a TSO 40, ditched the thumb rest, aluminum grips and magwell, added lok palmswells, exrawide LHS, moved the cts upper over to it to stay with the same 9mm load and my pairs shrank in half with the same upper. Deltas cut by 50%.  why?:  I think its the light trigger, extra weight out front, and a uniform 360 degree grip ALL working together to tighten up the pairs.  Ive got maybe 12 matches on this rig.. and honestly love shooting this thing.

So.. TSO wins. Sorry SP01.

That said .. Stuart says he can tune my SP01 SAO trigger ... and fit a bull shadow upper in the frame while its in the shop.... I am sooooo tempted.

Edited by scroadkill

TSO.  It’s heavy but balanced and the grips fit my hand very well. Since installing a better(wider) thumb rest, it just feels right out of the draw.

i also have the Czechmate and shadow 2 but the TSO is the winner for me.

4 hours ago, yigal said:

is only in US CO division has 45oz limit?

because i saw shooters use this sh2  with dovetail  steel mount  in CO div. as it is.

for ipsc i prefer tso.  for carry gun old cz75

Yes, only in the us region, uspsa, is there a 45oz weight limit for carry optics (what ipsc calls production optics). there are some other major differences as well. I have a shadow 2 for CO with a milled in place for the optic and a fair bit of slide cuts to make weight.

I had one of my Shadow slides cut for a DPP. I have shot it on the 75 Shadow lower as well as the SP01 lower... and again I seem to prefer the 75 Shadow lower due to the way the grip fits in my hand. It's not about how wide the grip is, but more the length front to rear. With all things considered I think I would like a down sized Shadow 2 (SP01 length and weight) or maybe a SP01 with a Shadow 2 grip... bull barrel of course. I can not help but wonder what the CZ Mad Scientist will bring out next... probably right after I buy a new gun.

11 hours ago, rowdyb said:

I'm guessing once those are released, they'll be able to be cut for weight (which one would assume will be cheaper than having CZC do a optic cut AND a weight cut)

Right? 

My favorite is the CzechMate. In Limited or Open configuration, it's plain fun to shoot. Haven't gotten a TSO yet. When I shoot it in Limited it is just as fun as the TS9, but its level of fitting and finish is much better than anything else I've seen from CZ.

YMMV

19 hours ago, 858 said:

Ben Stoeger asked to try out my TSO. He had the same response. He mentioned having sent his Tanfo to Patriot for a trigger job. I can't shoot for s#!t but my off the shelf TSO is better than his Tanfo-whatever.

I'm rounding out 7500 rounds without cleaning, which includes a two day class and a USPSA state match. 

Nice! I hate cleaning but don't think I could go that long without cleaning. I do know that I have over 10,000 rounds through mine without one failure.

5 hours ago, BLUEPSTU said:

Nice! I hate cleaning but don't think I could go that long without cleaning. I do know that I have over 10,000 rounds through mine without one failure.

I've had a single failure that was caused by a sideways primer. I normally check all of my primers but I had to load 3k rounds of ammo for a BS class and a month worth of practice while I moved so it all got dumped into ammo cans. The pistol runs like a sewing machine, I just put a little oil on the sear and the frame rails. I've actually been waiting for it to choke and it just hasn't.

Edited by 858

That A01 looks very interesting... guess I have been out of it for to long. Has anyone put their hands on one? If so how's the grip compare to other CZs? Looks like there are a lot of new possibilities in the future.

I was just in the market for a classic design 9mm, looking at a Browning Hi Power, but then got a CZ-75B in my hands. The CZ went home with me...

Later on, I decided to give IDPA a try, and bought a belt, Comp-Tac holster and mag pouches...I knew that trigger could be better and did some searching.

Found CGW. Replaced hammer and firing pin springs. Then I bought a SP-01 just because, and sent it to them for some sights, action work and new trigger and hammer. Kept it SSP legal. Sweet! I know people are talking about TSO and Shadow models, but for my limited exposure to the  brand, I'm pretty happy with my two CZ's.