Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip is key?

BoyGlock

Took a class put on by Bob Vogel. He believed in grip so much that he consistently trained with grip strength tools to get his grip strength as strong as it could be. Proper grip on the gun is key. How many good runs by the professionals you watch go a bit off from what they want and grip is usually one of the first things the mention as the reason why. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/12/2019 at 11:39 PM, 11MM said:

Took a class put on by Bob Vogel. He believed in grip so much that he consistently trained with grip strength tools to get his grip strength as strong as it could be. Proper grip on the gun is key. How many good runs by the professionals you watch go a bit off from what they want and grip is usually one of the first things the mention as the reason why. 

I think this is one of the things that affects performance the most:

Precision

Speed

If you have a 500Lb force per hand, the gun will not move.

If it doesn't move, you will shoot accurate and fast, with the fastest split time possible (of course you have to aim properly).

That said, what tools did he use? What muscles are involved the most in grip?

Improver your grip using the captians of crush grip strength trainers/squeezers- there are several. Start with the beginner -100#- and move up. As you move up and your grip strength improves your grip strength will be more substantial and your scores/performance should improve if you grip on the gun is correct. Grip is a key here ask Vogel.

I have found recently that if I Concentrate on my grip I tend to Overgrip the gun and move the shots around more. Before I shoot I remind myself firm grip, use my sights, and move my ass. This has seemed to help me. I did have 1 stage this weekend where i missed my grip slightly and caused me to drop a mag on the first target array and cost me the match win(lost 8-10 seconds between watching it fall, reload, rack and back to plan).

Having a Consistant grip I think is much more important then Crushing the grip to Death. I know some people tend to have weaker grip and that needs to be worked on. Remind yourself before you shoot to grip and aim. Then just rely on Process.

Grip is as important as aiming and pulling the trigger correctly! You need to grip as hard as you can without causing issues.  If your grip isnt as strong as it should be, you should try to strengthen it, if possible.  For me personally, I try to just hold the gun with my strong hand and grip with Max effort with my weak hand. Over gripping with my strong hand causes sympathetic movement when pulling the trigger and I have issues with dropping hits low and left. That's what works for me. Everyone else may be different. Though, I think most people make excuses for a weak/poor grip. 

It's one of theost important things to do correctly!

I'm told I do it all wrong, more push pull than "King Kong" grip squeezer. I have notice that the grip squeezer thingys became very popular around here after a few Vogel classes rolled through, and you could here springs squeaking night and day! Some of the guys became better shooters, some didn't. The guys that did swear by the "springs", except almost all of them spent more time practicing and shooting.....I know because I didn't used to see them except on match day, and then I saw them a lot on non match days. Now I am the first to say consistency in gripping is great, but how many of the spring kings get beat by the top women shooters, who don't even have a third of the hand strength? Well quite a lot from what I have seen in the results. Hmmm...... Maybe time behind the gun and consistency is important. Maybe the word "grip" brings to mind different things to different folks, and we all might be saying about the same thing just saying it in our paradigm. I have noticed one thing though. The tighter the gun is squeezed, crushed, smashed like a beer can, the more it induces trigger slap, which is fine as long as nothing moves, but it also hinders fine finger motion and "feel" of the trigger hurting long range performance, in the 30-75 yard range

On 7/3/2018 at 7:39 AM, Jake Di Vita said:

Your grip is the only interface your body actually has with the gun...

Physical-contact-wise, yes.

The eyes too -- not touching the gun obviously but they are part of the interface.

Edited by GunBugBit

15 hours ago, kurtm said:

I'm told I do it all wrong, more push pull than "King Kong" grip squeezer. I have notice that the grip squeezer thingys became very popular around here after a few Vogel classes rolled through, and you could here springs squeaking night and day! Some of the guys became better shooters, some didn't. The guys that did swear by the "springs", except almost all of them spent more time practicing and shooting.....I know because I didn't used to see them except on match day, and then I saw them a lot on non match days. Now I am the first to say consistency in gripping is great, but how many of the spring kings get beat by the top women shooters, who don't even have a third of the hand strength? Well quite a lot from what I have seen in the results. Hmmm...... Maybe time behind the gun and consistency is important. Maybe the word "grip" brings to mind different things to different folks, and we all might be saying about the same thing just saying it in our paradigm. I have noticed one thing though. The tighter the gun is squeezed, crushed, smashed like a beer can, the more it induces trigger slap, which is fine as long as nothing moves, but it also hinders fine finger motion and "feel" of the trigger hurting long range performance, in the 30-75 yard range

I won't name a top female shooter which is probably one of the best in open/production but she definitely has more muscles than me or some other shooters I know, of course that will help. And she had really low splits, I can tell it does help. Of course it's not all about splits, but it might be the low hanging fruit for some shooters.

I've seen improvements in splits by squeezing the gun hard but that leads to more trigger freezes sometimes. It doesn't affect my accuracy that much as far as I can tell