Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip is key?

BoyGlock

10 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Comma's can do a lot to promote peace. 

For me once my grip is correctly established I think my hands could be coated in grease & it wouldn't matter until it was time to reload. For drawing & manipulating the gun I do not want my hands to be slippery though. When it is really sweaty outside I just grab a handful of whatever I am standing on (usually stone-dust-dirt here) at make ready, works well, stold the idea from Mr. Enos. 

I've really noticed I needed something this summer in the midwest. We've had a couple matches that have had heat indexes in the 100+ degree range with wicked humidity. I was starting out the first few stages of matches just fine but as the matches wore on I could tell my weak hand was slipping due to the sweat and humidity and my accuracy was really dropping off. Tried the chalk this last week when it was again 100+ degrees and was accurate like a monster all day. Its gonna be chalk from now on no matter what the temperatures. It really helped a lot.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what does the chalk do to you gun and mags? does it make a fkn mess or is it tolerable and easily cleaned? some use white roll on stuff that apparently stops your hands from sweating as well but it sticks to everything so im told,my hands sweat lots,sorry to hijak this thread!

On 7/4/2018 at 1:02 PM, Doublehelix said:

So many people talk about getting a grip to fit your hand, but how can you judge proper grip size? What "feels" right? Is there some measurement that you look for?

Maybe some of the more experienced guys know of something but I don’t know.  By now, I have learned what gives me troubles I have with various guns so when I’m at a match and there is a guy with a gun I am interested in, I would ask the person if I could try it out. I mainly look at establishing a proper grip and seeing if the grip is conducive… Do the curves in the front of the grip fall at a point where my joints are and whether there is enough room for my support hand palm to sit against the gun instead of on top my fingers of my support hand.

• 1 month later...

Was live practicing a while ago on a cof w/ a far and moderately fast full board swinger. When my grip on the pistol is a bit off I could hardly hit it on my second shot in one pass because the dot would not return on target in time. Gripped the pistol properly and the dot returns on the target fast w/o much effort so good 2 hits/pass  are quite easy. 

On 7/6/2018 at 7:30 AM, jaysrgu said:

what does the chalk do to you gun and mags? does it make a fkn mess or is it tolerable and easily cleaned? some use white roll on stuff that apparently stops your hands from sweating as well but it sticks to everything so im told,my hands sweat lots,sorry to hijak this thread!

Pretty easy to clean. Use some solvent and a dry towel and that's it. 
Put the chalk on your hands, not the gun :) 

grip is extremely important and the first thing I teach a new shooter. gripping hard is one of the most overlooked issues with a lot of shooters. shooters elbow can be fixed by working out your forearms and is often used as an excuse for a poor grip. there are plenty of videos online about how to fix shooter's elbow.

• 2 weeks later...

as leatham said in the past. grip it hard and tight but not to the point that you are shaking....and without sacrificing the trigger control.

Edited by Yagi

On 7/4/2018 at 5:28 AM, Hi-Power Jack said:

How are your splits and transitions ?

Why do splits matter?  My splits will be

very different on a 7 yard open target vs a 15yd target with a NS.  Both can have perfect or poor grip and the split difference will not change.

I have struggled with my grip.  First, finding grips that fit my hand, small palm, long fingers.  I finally found grips that worked.  Then I struggled to remember to grip tightly.  Even with hours and hours of dry fire, part way through a cof, I would realize that the gun was flopping in my hands.  As soon as I tightened my grip, my accuracy improved, but of course.  Over the past couple of months I've developed a new issue.  I noticed that my shots were going low.  Very low. And I wondered if I had developed a flinch.  I did the dry fire with the muzzle close to a wall so I could focus on my sights and while concentrating, the sights stayed true.  Then one day, just sitting at the table, on the spur of the moment, I held an imaginary gun in my hands and pretended to pull the trigger.  And watched in amazement as my wrists bent down every time I moved my trigger finger.  Not much, but enough to cause some serious problems on partial targets and far away plates.   I'm glad I finally figured out what was going on because it was driving me crazy and since I'm older and don't/can't run, accuracy and efficiency is key to me.  I'm going to work on this in dry fire but now my mantra at make ready will be, tight grip, lock wrists and remember where all the target are!  And I need to do even more dry fire to make this instinctive.  I should add that I'm shooting a revolver with an 8lb trigger so that makes it even more important to remember those things.  Any other suggestions on how to overcome this would be appreciated!

Edited by kimmie
spelling

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dry fire can help a lot with acquiring a good grip.  practice drawing from weird positions, aka seated, hands touching barrel or start stick.  This is where I see people getting their worst grips

This is something I have talked about here before. Basic Shooting Fundamentals. Stance, grip, trigger control, sight picture. In THAT order. Your stance dictates your grip to a large extent, and your grip dictates your trigger control to a large extent. When I find my accuracy slipping, 9 times out of 10 I can trace it back to getting lazy with my stance. I work on that for a few mags and my groups tighten up. As someone else said it is the prerequisite to the more advanced techniques. You really do have to master those before you can move on successfully. And there will be times even when you reach master level that you need to go back and revisit those fundamentals.

So how do you find the perfect grip? It ain't an easy process and it can take years. One thing I will tell you right off the bat is stick to the same platform. If you are shooting 1911s, Glocks, CZs, M&Ps and everything under the sun every time you go to the range you are NEVER going to get comfortable with any of them and they will all start to feel weird. Pick one that feels good to you and stick with it. Then practice with it. A LOT. Especially dry fire.

Dry fire. Put a target paster on the wall, step back 10 feet, and draw to that paster. When the gun comes between your eye and the target, freeze. don't adjust where the gun is aimed just freeze and look. Look at where the gun is aimed. Are the sights dead on? If not pay very close attention to how and how far they are off. Now adjust your grip til the sights are aligned perfectly. Don't just bend your wrists to get there, that's what we're trying to eliminate. What will it take to get to that every time on the draw? Is it just a matter of how you wrap your fingers around the grip? Where you position the heel of your strong hand? And your weak hand. Or do you need to relieve part of the grip? Or fill in?See if you can find grips or other parts that do that.

But the ultimate goal is to get to where anytime you bring your gun between your eye and the target, the sights are already aligned when it gets there. No adjustments. Gun stops on target and you fire the shot. It has to be natural and automatic.

• 10 months later...
1 hour ago, BoyGlock said:

Fun fact. If your draw is good then think of properly gripping the gun just before the beep to draw, more often than not, you will have a bad grip 🥴 

Bit confused here. Are you saying that if you think of properly gripping the gun, you'll end up with a bad grip?

Easy to overthink for sure. I find that I end up doing whatever I’ve been dry firing recently, regardless of what I’m trying/thinking to do. This has gotten me in trouble before when I’ve been dry firing with bad technique. Lol

13 minutes ago, Blackstone45 said:

Bit confused here. Are you saying that if you think of properly gripping the gun, you'll end up with a bad grip?

Yes. If you consciously think of getting a good grip, your subconscious skill of gripping properly, if already developed, is over ridden so usually you end up w/ a bad grip. 

4 hours ago, BoyGlock said:

Yes. If you consciously think of getting a good grip, your subconscious skill of gripping properly, if already developed, is over ridden so usually you end up w/ a bad grip. 

True story. And if you think about going fast too the wheels will totally come off