Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

rocksett vs red loctite vs loctite 680 (green, retaining compound)

nhyrum

Hello,

I know rocksett is preferred for rifle muzzle devices. I tried some on my 9 open pistol, properly cleaned and applied, baked at 175 for fifteen minutes, which they claim makes a stronger bond. Anyway, after most of a mag it was spinning loose.

Tried some 680 I had, has a 4k psi shear strength. Held pretty well. And breaks loose easily enough with a wrench and a dab of heat.

Has anyone had a similar experience with rocksett? My only issue with loctite is heat.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have used Rocksett and Red Loctite for muzzle devices and both seem to work equally well. As noted, it is important to have clean surfaces and allow the recommended curing times before use.

• 1 month later...

Well, to start, it's really not enough to say "red", "green", etc, Loctite.  There are different formulations that are colored the same.  Different formulations have different tensile strengths and different retained strength as heat increases. Even most "high temp" Loctite looses a considerable amount of its strength WELL below 1000*.  However, some Loctite formulas have very high tensile strengths, or breakaway torque ratings. 

Rocksett is a little different. It's breakaway torque is relatively low, but because of it's ceramic composition, it withstands some very high heat before its strength starts to degrade.  This is why it is preferred in muzzle device application. 

As previously stated, for best results with both type of products, the surfaces need to be completely free of oils and lubricants. A generous amount of degreaser or brake clean, and some compressed air is one of the better ways to clean the surfaces. 

Properly cleaned, and torqued, I have never had a muzzle device come loose when installed with Rocksett. 

I used rocksett on the suppressor mount on my SBR. It never moved and when I removed it, it took considerable heat and a breaker bar to get it to move.

I thought you were supposed to soak it in water overnight to get it loose?

16 minutes ago, mwray said:

I thought you were supposed to soak it in water overnight to get it loose?

This is correct. From a technician at Flexbar:

"The only way to break a proper Rocksett bond is to soak the part in hot water for 20 minutes or more

and then forcibly remove the components."

6 minutes ago, lacivilian said:

If your comp is titanium, the use of thread locker has a much less desirable effect than if used on 2 alike alloys. 

I don't know this to be true, and I've worked spec'ing quite a few types thread lockers in industrial applications. 

However when using Loctite with Ti, it is recommended to use 7649 primer.