Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hodgdon Titegroup vs VV N320 for 9mm

Fasthenk65

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello: Just to through in another powder in the mix since I have shot alot of TG and N320 over the years is Clean Shot. In the last couple of months I have been testing TG, HP-38/231, N320 and now Clean Shot. Bullets are Acme 135 and 147's. Testing on the Clean Shot is not fully done yet but so far I like what I am seeing. Thanks, Eric

I've found the Australian Clays to work very well in 9mm and .45ACP.  Great minor loads in 9mm and even major loads in .45.

Unfortunately, if you don't have any you won't be able to get any unless you run across another reloader with a supply for sale or trade.

On 1/15/2019 at 9:56 PM, BiggMike said:

I had this same problem with my 1050. Unfortunately for me, I found this out at Nationals when I failed the chrono by 3%. The crazy part is that when I first started using N320, all my drops were dead on but somewhere the drops got sporadic. I switched back to HS-6 and my drops are dead on.

Correction. I cleaned and checked my 1050; reconfigured my loading data and then rechecked my N320 loading. I am switching back to N320 because now my drops and loads are dead on. My deviation is +/- .1 on the drops. So now my current PCC load is 4.2gr N320 @ 1.130; this gives me about 135-140 PF in my GMR-15.

2 minutes ago, BiggMike said:

Correction. I cleaned and checked my 1050; reconfigured my loading data and then rechecked my N320 loading. I am switching back to N320 because now my drops and loads are dead on. My deviation is +/- .1 on the drops. So now my current PCC load is 4.2gr N320 @ 1.130; this gives me about 135-140 PF in my GMR-15.

So, what was the issue?

Just now, GrumpyOne said:

So, what was the issue?

For some strange reason my micrometer drifted. I moved from FL to MD and I didn't take the humidity into account. So I did my usual 10 drops to calculate but when the drops got into the 20-30's I started to notice the deviations set in. I took everything apart and I also noticed that my powder funnel was not clean at all, so I cleaned it up.  I then reset the spreadsheet for my micrometer and now everything is good to go.

I was loading at 3.8grs but since I switched back to 124gr MG, I bumped up the charge weight to make sure I got the MG's covered in both of my GMR-15's. I know they tend to be slower than most JHP.

N320 has always metered awesome for me on my 650.  Actually it's the best metering powder I've used.   I did start to notice that my variation had increased and when I started checking I found that the powder had started galling out the plastic Arredondo (sp) powder bar.  Once I went back to the metal Dillon bar my drops went back to near perfect precision.  I will concur with the others that have posted.... If N320 and Titegroup are the same price and availability... I pick N320 every single time.

Cleaner, burns cooler, meters better, and more forgiving.

I was using TG for 9mm minor for a long while , and it works well. I tried VV n320 on whim, and I never looked back.  Both  are very accurate for me , both meter well in my Dillon powder throw,  although  n320 is slightly more consistent  metering, but n320 is so much cleaner and less smokey.  Especially with coated Bullets.   Now, subjectively , to me, n320 is softer shooting.  It’s worth the price difference to me.  If if they were the same price, it’s a no brainer.  The only downside to n320 I noticed , is it seems to be a lighter powder than TG.   Before I tamed the 650 shell plate snapping, it was more prone to powder spill.   But, it doesn’t stain your hopper like TG does.   

• 1 month later...

Don’t forget that Titepoop is a smaller volume and doesn’t fill up the case enough for me. I like a powder that will overflow the case and go all over the shell plate on a double charge. N320 fits this bill. I could triple charge with Titepoop and not make a mess. This may be a sign of my OCD.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2019 at 3:11 PM, BiggMike said:

BiggMike

do you mind sharing your N320 load for your GMR15, I did try 3.8 and it was a soft shooting load but the accuracy was not satisfactory, then bump my load to 4.1 gr and accuracy is now great. btw I'm using Frontier Match 124 gr. 1.125" OAL,  thanks

BiggMike
do you mind sharing your N320 load for your GMR15, I did try 3.8 and it was a soft shooting load but the accuracy was not satisfactory, then bump my load to 4.1 gr and accuracy is now great. btw I'm using Frontier Match 124 gr. 1.125" OAL,  thanks

I pushed to 4.3 of N320. I'm using MG 124gr JHP @ 1.130. The MG tend to be a touch slower so I chose 4.3gr to make sure that I have room at the Chrono. It is still soft shooting and very accurate in GMR-15. I was at 3.8 but that only made 123pf for me. I found that out at Nationals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello: Another to watch with N320 is that it can very from lot to lot. Sometimes up to 0.3 grains, so chrono your loads. Thanks, Eric

I have not encountered any lot to lot variations. Has anyone else seen variations among different lot numbers? Curious.

• 2 months later...
On 4/24/2019 at 12:23 AM, Red Ryder said:

I have not encountered any lot to lot variations. Has anyone else seen variations among different lot numbers? Curious.

Variations between lots is the nature of the beast for all powder manufacturers. Generally speaking our modern times have seen the consistency between lots improve as compared to 20/30/40 years ago when you saw more swing. I always check any new lot of powder to make sure because an off lot can and does happen from any of the Powder companies. I will mention that extruded short stick powders with the "air space" factor within a given volume can vary the drops during the metering.... so what some may warn as a lot to lot variation could be just the inconsistency in metering (why I prefer fine ball powders)! Either way I agree with Aircooled6racer about N320, Ive seen both lot density variations and lots that just wouldn't meter as well. I dont use N320 anymore so I cant reference the lot #'s I saw this with. I ended up making the switch to A#2 as it felt no different as N320, it runs cool, clean, it meters second to none, and hardly find a variation from lot to lot (.1 gr or less) ....oh and cheaper. 

Edited by BallisticianX