Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Out of the blue. Mr. BF dropper die problem. Sticking up.

So my Mr. BF dropper die started sticking in the up position last night. I have loaded 4-5K on the setup(Dillon 650) with out this issue up until last night. The only that has changed since my last loading session is the reloading room was especially hot/humid last night.  The die would push up, drop one bullet and stick there. It would stick in a way that even putting moderate force by hand on it, it would not close back up. I would have to wiggle it around to get it to return down. This issue would not happen every time, but probably 10 times per 100rds. I made sure the internals were good and clean and I messed around with adjusting the die up and down with no luck. This happened even without the feed spring attached.  For what its worth I am running Precision Delta 124r JHPs and the dropper die balls are in the upper holes.  Any ideas? 

Well you've done everything that I have to cure that problem, mine responded, yours did not so the next step is determining where that problem originates. This would be my diagnostic plan.

1: Take everything apart, I realize you've already done that but you need to eliminate what's not causing the problem. With the die completely disassembled, does the inner dropper part slide up easily and then drop completely out of the die with no sticking? (this is done with no balls or bullets in the die), if so, you've eliminated the inner die to the outer body as a cause.

2: Next put the balls in the holes and reassemble the die. Put a bullet in, when it stops against the balls, push the inner die up until it releases the bullet. If it falls out, you may have eliminated a cause, but maybe not, I'd do this a bunch of times. When you're satisfied that it's working 100%, put it all back together and see if it's fixed. One problem I has was the spring feed tube wasn't adjusted correctly and it put sideways torque on the inner die. I was also getting intermittent bullet drop because of bullets going into the die nose down, that'll jam it every time. I finally got the shim pack adjusted up top to eliminate that problem (almost, but 1 out of a thousand I can deal with). Hope this helps. Change one thing at a time, if you change more than that you will never find the cause. Good luck.

Update. I think its fixed. I moved the ball bearings to the lower set of holes and it has not given me any trouble for a few hundred rounds.  FWIW I was running an elastic hair tie for extra down force when the problem cropped up, even after removing it I still had the problem. Once I moved the bearings I put it back on. So far so good. 

• 1 month later...

I have a couple cable ties around the drop hose to make sure it isnt pulling and making the dropper stick. I havent had any problems with it since. I havent needed to try this but I do know one of the after market places now has a product available that looks to be an excellent fiv

https://usa-shop.armanov.com/product/mr-bullet-feeder-dropper-assembly-solution-no-consistent-seating-problem/

11 minutes ago, Patrick Scott said:

I saw some stuff like that and decided to try it even though it looks like I got the issue sorted out. I rigged up something similar to that using a 650 indexer return spring and a primer tube clip.  Cheap and it seems to work well. 

Yeah when I was having my problem previously I went out and bough 2 hose clamps and 2 springs. I never did actually install them though since the cable tie fix resolved my problem. 

Edited by PhillySoldier