Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practical Shooting Grip Strength Video

CHA-LEE

I have been getting some questions about the Grip Strength content in my book Path of Focused Effort. Primary associated with measuring grip strength and how specific pounds of grip effect recoil management. Hopefully the below video helps clarify the situation. Check it out and let me know what you think.

• 6 months later...

Charlie, what is your absolute peak grip strength in each hand (proper firing grip) using the dyno? 

I'm interested to know what percentage of your peak grip strength you are using to get to the recommended 100lbs.

My "Peak" grip strength today at 5:26PM using the proper firing grip on the dyno is 141lbs in my right and 142lbs in my left. These measurements were taken in a "cold" manner meaning that I simply picked up the grip dyno and tested each hand without any warm up before hand. If my hands are warmed up, like in the middle of a live or dry fire session, I can usually produce 150 - 160lbs per hand.

I also want to point out that when I am shooting I am obviously not using 100% of my available grip strength or I couldn't manipulate the trigger effectively. My grip on the gun is usually about 80% - 90% of my maximum effort. If we used 150lbs as my average and took 20% off of that it would mean that I am using 120lbs of grip force, per hand, on the gun while shooting. My recommendation of using at least 100lbs of grip force, per hand, on the gun while shooting to properly manage recoil is what I would consider the minimum needed for major power factor iron sight guns. More pounds of grip force above that will obviously improve the recoil management even more. Let me put it this way, if I could grip the gun with 200lbs of grip force per hand and still manipulate the trigger properly I absolutely would.

I am always training to improve and maintain my grip strength. My current grip strength training regiment allows me to maintain an exceptional level of grip strength without causing injury. I am leery of taking that training even further without risking injuring myself in the process.