Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock sights or aftermarket with XDM 5.25?

Canman

• 3 months later...

My issue is i want to change out the rear (and front) but due to how the rear is built we seem to be stuck.   I know Springer Precision has a piece they use that is used to upgrade to CO, but I just want some different sights.     I'm one of the different ones and like something on the rear sight -- specifically the SpeedSights.   It may be because i'm relatively new, but they have really upped my game on an M&P, so much so that I don't shoot my XDM Comp hardly at all.

• 2 months later...

That definitely might be tough. I didn't realize the 5.25" had a different rear sight mechanism until recently. It would be kinda cool to get an adapter plate for a classic dovetail, but the stock rear sights are definitely better than some other manufacturers to the point that I may only change the front sight in the future if I stop shooting mine in carry optics.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Another for Dawson .100.  For older eyes such as mine definitely helps.  In the opposite direction, I have Tru-Glo TFOs on a couple of XDM Compacts, and there is almost no gap in the sights, which is noticeably slower to pick up.  I do okay in IDPA with them where the distances are short, and aim not as critical, but the Dawson's are faster. 

• 1 month later...

Up until a week ago I used factory on mine, anything but a black serrated rear is obnoxious. About the time I realized I wanted the narrow dawson I switched to Carry Optics. Im addicted to the dot now after dry firing all week with it. Unfortunately it all came loose during sight in today. Praying even more loc tite keeps everything snug tomorrow for a second go, it ruined my range day. 

Depends on what you use it for.  If you're leisurely punching holes at the range, the factory sights will be fine, in fact more accurate than the Dawson.  If you're in competition and need to get a fast sight picture, and "good enough" fast, tactical accuracy, you want something narrower. 

I had several people at a match tell me that "you should try blacking out the rear sight" -- this was on my M&P that i have the Speed Sights installed on.  They were saying it allows you to focus more on the front and the "old eyes" would work better.    So, we walked over to the safe table and I said, "here, sight this...." after one quick movement to sight it, they both were like "wow".   So, i got the questions of where did i get them and they popped it into their phones.

I've been hoping that the Speed Sight group would make an adapter plate to be able to put their rear sight into.

Either way, it forms a "tight" picture but since they are diamonds you actually still can see between them, but, the diamonds naturally line up.

I miss shooting my XD(m), but these sights really up my game in fast action shooting -- but, that may also be due to how new I am to the sport.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I read all your comments  . I own an xdm elite 5.25 and shoot IPSC . I need a narrow front sight . From my measurements the front is 0.150'' wide and at its tallest point it measures 0.25'' in height . Dawson offers a 0.24'' or a 0.265'' in height . Which heigth did you end up choosing that came closer to the factory height ?