Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best stock for JP GMR-15

Since the GMR's are pretty heavy I went with the Minimalist route to get all the weight savings possible.   I like the barrel weight on the gun, but getting it close to 6lbs unloaded is a chore without something like a taccom barrel which I found to be to bouncy.

But it all falls down into what's comfortable for you,  I put some clear nail polish on mine to help reduce snags and it works just fine.  I switched from the magpul and only saved a few oz,  few here, few there.

I purchased one of the minimalist stocks, based on the weight, and hated how the cheek weld felt.  I went (back) to the SOPMOD style stock (with the battery compartments) because it offers a comfortable and consistent cheek weld and I don't notice the weight that is behind the grip.  The weight beyond the grip is what you feel most when swinging the gun.  

I assume you have a complete gun now?  Get some static weights of an ounce or two apiece and tape/rubber band them to the forearm, then try them on the stock.  Practice it to get a feel for how it swings, stops, etc.  When it feels right, mark where the balance point on the gun is; i’d use blue painter’s tape. Once you have that, then you have the info you need to tailor the balance point on your gun.  If the weight feels best on the stock, then take off your existing stock and weigh it with the ballast— now you know what weight stock to purchase, or possibly you can add weight to your existing stock.  If the weight is on the front end, then all you have to do is add a properly weighted attachment... hopefully with M-Lok or the like. Flip side, you could remove the appropriate weight to get the balance but that’s more complicated if it has to come off the front.  While lots of folks proclaim “lightweight or die,” that really isn’t gospel.  My PCC wears an Ace SOCOM stock specifically to add weight in order to bring the balance point rearward.  Of course, I’ve also got a TACCOM ULW up front. ?

Edited by jkrispies
On 7/3/2018 at 7:02 PM, jtrump said:

Since the GMR's are pretty heavy I went with the Minimalist route to get all the weight savings possible.   I like the barrel weight on the gun, but getting it close to 6lbs unloaded is a chore without something like a taccom barrel which I found to be to bouncy.

But it all falls down into what's comfortable for you,  I put some clear nail polish on mine to help reduce snags and it works just fine.  I switched from the magpul and only saved a few oz,  few here, few there.

Where did you put nail polish?

On 7/5/2018 at 9:08 AM, Tampa-XD45 said:

Where did you put nail polish?

On the backside of the butt stock up top about an 1" and and same at the bottom,  gives me fewer hang ups on clothing if I don't bring the gun out far enough trying to go fast from stock on belt.

For my two cents I like a heavier stock.  I prefer the balance with one.  If you want to be empirical, take both stocks to the range and run drills with both.  Let the timer decide.  How it feels is really important when we are picking out our bed, less so when we are deciding what is the faster gun setup.  ?

I don’t like how it wiggles a little bit. Would prefer a more solid feel. For the most part, though, I agree, it’s fine. I still don’t understand the fang and how it’s supposed to be more comfortable. I would think it would catch on clothing easier. I heard it is somewhat more advantageous from a on the belt starting position, but is still don’t get it.

Edited by Silverscooby27
2 hours ago, Silverscooby27 said:

I don’t like how it wiggles a little bit. Would prefer a more solid feel. For the most part, though, I agree, it’s fine. I still don’t understand the fang and how it’s supposed to be more comfortable. I would think it would catch on clothing easier. I heard it is somewhat more advantageous from a on the belt starting position, but is still don’t get it.

The New MBX "Fang" extends the factory Butt Stock to allow for deeper and more stable contact with the shoulder pocket. Other benefits includes greater recoil control and added stability when reloading along with a raise stance when used in conjunction with MBX offset C-More mounts.

4 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Think about truly bringing the gun up to your cheek, and not your cheek down onto the gun.

That’s the concept behind it.

But if you’re raising the buffer tube and overall bore axis above your shoulder and basically creating a new pivot point on the lower tip of the buttstock, isn’t that going to increase muzzle flip?  Historically the primary benefit of the AR platform is that straight back impulse into the shoukder vs something like the M1/M14 that would recoil upward due to the bore axis being above the buttstock’s contact point with the shooter.    

• 2 years later...
On 7/9/2018 at 10:19 PM, Silverscooby27 said:

The wiggling of the stock can be cured by adding a layer of electric tape in one or two places and it will tighten up the slack causing the wiggles. I made a "Fang" for my magpul stock that was flat and not like the MBX stock. At first I thought it was somewhat unwieldy, but after one range session I dont even notice it anymore and it allows me to get the gun higher for less red dot riser and less holdovers and much less head bending down to the stock.

I prefer a slightly rear heavy PCC, to make it swing and transition faster. Weight towards the stock actually makes the rifle feel lighter, and the weight there still helps with soaking up recoil. With a JP that is on the heavier side, I'd be looking towards a heavier stock such as the magpul ACS or the UBR, not a lighter one. Your taste might differ.