Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 brass jamming on sizing die

Did this behavior exist before you installed the u-die?

If you manually guide the case into the die as you pull the lever does it still mess up?

If so it sounds like the die may be out of spec. All I use are Lee sizing dies including the u-die and as long as I adjust the die as "Steve RA" described they have worked fine. On the rare occasion I've had to re-adjust as described and then things are fine again for thousands of rounds.

20 hours ago, FortyOverUnder said:

fd3dc50edd6f58b2e93dafb217f7c8cb.jpeg

Had this laying around. Tried it and worked smoothly for 2 years.

I didn’t have any further success with lubing the slide so decided to remove the case insert slide and inspect. I removed the case insert slide spring and compared to the new one in the parts kit. The older spring was a full 1/2” shorter in length so I replaced it and now feeds cases properly into the shellplate. This was not a new press bit and hope others can benefit from my issue. Thanks all!

Thank you for posting a resolution!

This is such an obvious oversight that I can see myself doing cause I hate replacing something that just ‘looks’ good.

@dillon  Is it possible to publish spring spec’s ... mainly how long they are supposed to be so we can ‘retire’ what is not so obvious as a tired spring?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I am having the same problem.  about 70k loaded on the press, and cases start being crushed every 50 or so.  Lee standard die, not U die.  Did everything said here, used the Dillon alignment tool, replaced all the springs and case feed assembly block, etc.   Same result. 

I am thinking maybe it's the die's life is up.  When I did slow motion video of the problem, I noticed that the cases are perfectly positioned before the shaft starts moving up.  However, while the shaft moves up, there is a loud click that is from the resetting of the shellplate, and that click is causing vibrations that send the cases outwards slightly. 

My shell plate is not very much tightened, because if it is there are other problems, but it's been like that for the past 70k rounds.  So I don't know why the problem just started now.