Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 brass jamming on sizing die

I’ve replaced every spring. Index ring press is  aligned. Using the u sizing die. Say this is a lot of it. Greased under #1 locator all that good stuff. I’ve loaded on 650 for 4 yrs an about 60 k. Thanks

B9C28AEE-9F78-4EDC-97B2-632918AE191D.jpeg

Is the shuttle pushing the brass in far enough? Every so often or when I short stroke a bit, the brass will catch my Lee Std. Sizing Die.  It just needs a slight tap further towards the center.

Just now, SCTaylor said:

Is the shuttle pushing the brass in far enough? Every so often or when I short stroke a bit, the brass will catch my Lee Std. Sizing Die.  It just needs a slight tap further towards the center.

Yes I’m full stroking I go slow I speed up it still happens. Dillon sending me case feeder block for the 900 shotgun loader. Still don’t think this will help

I know if it's short stroked it will do that. I mean is the "full stroke" pushing the case in far enough? Every time or on occasion?   Is the shuttle worn?

How fast up the shell plate goes doesn't change the situation much, IMO. It sounds like an issue with inserting the case from the feeder/shuttle interface.

I thought this to at first. But have changed block even tried that after market bearing roller. Case is definitely inserted all the way an stats there until the index comes off the block. On tilts the case just enough to cause the jamming 

1 minute ago, Furrly said:

check the station 1 locator make sure it does not have any nicks or dents on the surface, this will prevent the brass from sliding smoothly into the shell plate. 

Yep done that also. It’s new base is going in shell plate fine. 

I was having same issue with 40. My press has been back to dillon twice just got it back couple weeks ago. It’s pretty much a new press now. Loaded 1500 rounds so far no issues but it’s only 1500 rds so time will tell. It’s frustrating but they have I’ll make it right. If it happens again I was told it will be switched out for a new one but this is a new press now that everything has been changed on it. 

5 minutes ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

I was having same issue with 40. My press has been back to dillon twice just got it back couple weeks ago. It’s pretty much a new press now. Loaded 1500 rounds so far no issues but it’s only 1500 rds so time will tell. It’s frustrating but they have I’ll make it right. If it happens again I was told it will be switched out for a new one but this is a new press now that everything has been changed on it. 

They are awsome customer service. I’ve loaded 30 k of 40 never happened with it. Just 9mm

You might try - with the shell plate fully loaded - loosening the lock ring on the die. run the shell plate all the way up and then retighten the lock ring.  It's possible the die isn't perfectly aligned with the mouth of the case,  needs to be really accurate with the U die, or even the standard Lee die.

30 minutes ago, Steve RA said:

You might try - with the shell plate fully loaded - loosening the lock ring on the die. run the shell plate all the way up and then retighten the lock ring.  It's possible the die isn't perfectly aligned with the mouth of the case,  needs to be really accurate with the U die, or even the standard Lee die.

Yes sir I’ve tried this also

Is the mounting of the press level and solid ? Had mine mounted on an I beam with legs attached. After an extended period the I beam flange listed to the handle side causing the issue. Leveled the press and all was well.

On 6/29/2018 at 1:05 PM, FortyOverUnder said:

I had this similar issue. I cleaned the track the shuttle rides on and lubed it. Issue went away. I’ve had my 650 for the same amount of time.

What type of lube has been used? Dry or oil based?