Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What would you ask a pro?

Brophy-J

On 6/29/2018 at 9:14 AM, reverse_edge said:

Just because they can shoot themselves, doesn't necessarily mean they can teach well. I've taken a couple of classes that have left me feeling similar. 

I can't agree more. I recently felt like I've wasted over half a grand to just end up with not much information to take home and work on. At times it felt like all the info that was given was just regurgitation of information in the popular dry fire books.

On 6/28/2018 at 7:02 PM, stick said:

I would ask about footwork.  A lot of people can shoot fast, but very few can shoot fast on the move.  I would talk about position entry and exit.  I would also ask about stage breakdown.

...and this. 

On 6/29/2018 at 2:02 AM, stick said:

I would ask about footwork.  A lot of people can shoot fast, but very few can shoot fast on the move.  I would talk about position entry and exit.  I would also ask about stage breakdown.

Sounds like a Stoeger class.

One afternoon, I was shooting the s#!t with Taran at his home.  I brought this subject up and we had a bit of a dialog about it.

That session was the impetus for Tips from the GMs column in Front Sight.  The focus was on the skills a D, C, and B shooter should acquire to improve.  

It was great fun for me to talk with the major GMs in the sport and was a wonderful lesson.  Add to this I had to the opportunity to be squad mother on several 'super squads.'  

Every GM I have ever been in contact with, was more than willing to answer questions.  Quite a few would critique what I was doing or offer suggestions on how to shoot a stage.  TGO is excellent in this area.

I have taken two formal classes.  Both instructors were quite good.  The only downside was the disparity in skills sets.  But only slightly.

Matt B talked about grip, Max M talked about movement.  Both emphasized the need to hit an A on command.

Too bad Roy Neal does not weigh in on this topic.  His input was be an eye opener for many.

There is no doubt in my mind I was on the road to significant improvement because of these guys but I was derailed with life issues.

Ask if your actually doing correctly what you think you are and how to fix what your doing wrong on the things you are.
It's hard to get better if you dont work on part of your game because you think it's ok but your doing it wrong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I got to watch Taran shoot the Mid-Coast Championship.  One stage was two strings; one strong hand and one weak hand.  His times were almost exactly the same.  

I asked him about it.  He told me he wanted to be know as the guy who could do the hard shots.  Most people do not work their weak hand.  

He spent a some time with me about shooting weak hand, the transition from strong to weak, shoulder angle, cant/not, etc.  

Yeah, I was pretty lucky to have some one-on-one time with a great shooter.  The interesting part was it was in small manageable chunks of time.  It was focus on one skill to establish a solid foundation.  

I offer this as a suggestion, pick one skill-talk with a GM, and work on that skill.  Gain proficiency.  Move onto the next skill to acquire.  Remember skills are perishable, so you always have to go back and re-enforce the learning.

• 2 months later...

I've read a few post of folks not being satisfied with classes taken. I've been there. I'll also say, I think as a person get better at shooting/competing, there understanding of the game changes. I've heard a lot for people say, "I can stand and shoot as good as anyone, I need to work on movement and stage planning". I've been one that's said/thought that. There's some truth to that, to some degree. However, I really don't think footwork is keeping the M level and down shooter from winning HOA at big matches. A supper squad level shooter could loose a stage by missteping somehwere that cost a sec to correct  The folks winning HOA have fundamentals that are on point! Their transitions are better and their stage execution is better. Yes, the also are more efficient in thier movement. 

I've taken a few classes. IMO, a group class is great but can only do so much. Though, I've been impressed with most of the ones I've taken. You have to be realistic in what you expect. Taking a class and thinking you're gonna level up as soon as its over isn't realistic. I'd say, you should expect to 

1. See the instructor demostrate solid skills.

2. Be critiqued on the same skills.

3. Have some small gaps of technique bridged

4. Have some questions answered. 

Then you as the shooter are responsible for building on that on your own. 

If the instructor didn't meet your expectations of improving your footwork but instead saw a huge gap in your transitions and points dropped, and provided feedback on that. I'd say you might have to swallow the pill of self assessment. Maybe that's priority number 1. 

Edited by B_RAD

• 2 weeks later...

I would ask them what they see. It amazes me to watch how fast Max and KC and a few of the other pros can shoot. I would love see be able to see what they are seeing when they are shooting at speed. It may be a difficult thing for them to convey to me but I would be interested in their answers. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Most important is how much practice you walk in with: dot drills, matches, basic skills (reload, draw), and even general drills like ("The Test") from Larry Vickers.

This might not be what you want to hear :) But until you've bumped into your own limits, you won't even know what to ask. And the only way that I know of to find your limits is through experience. If you are really short on time (e.g. days), you could shoot the Venti 100, and see what questions arise. 

A good teacher will be able to diagnose you "on the spot." That said, if you can bring them footage of you running a live course of fire, that speaks volumes.

Of course, this all comes down to what you are trying to improve. If you are trying to improve speed, begin by looking at the largest pools of time: movement, draw, reloads, etc. If you are trying to improve accuracy, that is yet another matter (often in the trigger and how you aim the gun).

The more knowledge you walk in with, the more you can walk out with.

Edited by shootmove
grammar and completeness