Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What would you ask a pro?

Brophy-J

If you were taking a class from a top level shooter.

What questions would you ask?

What would you have them check in regard to your fundamentals.

What would you try to get out of the class?

I would ask about footwork.  A lot of people can shoot fast, but very few can shoot fast on the move.  I would talk about position entry and exit.  I would also ask about stage breakdown.

5 hours ago, stick said:

I would ask about footwork.  A lot of people can shoot fast, but very few can shoot fast on the move.  I would talk about position entry and exit.  I would also ask about stage breakdown.

I’d ask for some sponsor discount codes.  

Just kidding!   But not really...   Actually, I’m with Stick on this one.  

6 hours ago, stick said:

Stick nails it.  Mastering your exits and entries into positions will generate the greatest improvement in your field course scores. And learning to do it right is not easy even after you "know" how to do it. 

Requires lots of practice.

Seems like the more I work at this, the worse I get.

1.  I've taken two different courses with top, highly regarded professionals over the past decade,

and only now do I realize that they never offered any suggestions or critique of The Most

Basic element of shooting    -    my grip.    :surprise:

If you're happy with your current grip, forget it - but I'm NOT happy with my grip, and wish

I had asked for a full review by the Pro.

2.  Neither PRO worked with me on transitions and splits - no one took the time to

measure how long it took for me to fire 12 shots, and still hit the target.   Of course, a key

element of being able to fire .2 second splits and .3 second transitions is The Grip, plus

a few other things thrown in.

If your grip isn't good enough to fire quick splits and transitions, you will never progess too far   :( 

These are Very Basic elements - yet these highly regarded PROS skipped over them, for me.

3.  One of the PROS basically spent 70% of our two days together doing some variance of The

Dot Torture Drill.   If your PRO spends more than 1-2 hours on this - you might mention that you

get it and will continue to work on it on your own time.

4.  I would ask for his/her review of what practice schedule YOU should have for the next

few months, including dry fire practice and shooting drills, that will get YOU to the next level.

This should be put into writing so you can take it home with you to work on.

You will NOT progress as quickly by firing 1,000 rounds per day in practice doing one specific drill

over and over again.

5.  IFF your PRO has you fire 1,000 rounds/ammo per day, bring bandaids, in addition to all the other

things you will bring - food, beverages, weather appropriate clothing.shoes, etc.

The two day course that I took that consisted largely of The Dot Torture Drill over and over again

was helpful in the short term.   (BUT, I could have done that myself).   What you really need is

the basics reviewed individually and a practice plan for when you return home.

Good luck with it    :)

49 minutes ago, reverse_edge said:

Just because they can shoot themselves, doesn't necessarily mean they can teach well. I've taken a couple of classes that have left me feeling similar. 

One of the best teachers/book writers out there has never won a major title to my knowledge

The one regret I have from the class I took this spring was not asking more questions of Stoeger, he really doesn't volunteer a lot unprompted. Thankfully the guys on "The Shoot Fast Podcast" sat down with him and asked a whole lot of what I would've liked to know. But mostly I should've hung around until I could ask for individual recommendations of a training regime. 

I tend to analyze everything that is said, and he said a lot to me in quick blunt little quips during the class. I'd venture it made a difference, classifiers since have almost all been significantly higher, match finishes have mostly been higher. 

27 minutes ago, SCTaylor said:

If they haven't won, in this sport, they're kind of a hack.

I think a lot of sports have coaches that have nurtured students while themselves never reach the pinnacle of that sport. An example is Nick Bollettieri ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Bollettieri ) who has coached many who have gone on to become World Number 1 in tennis.

While I do not know him, Anderson at least is a GM and from his reputation seems to be an excellent teacher. Same can not be said of some that do give group classes and while they themselves have won National titles are lousy teachers.

3 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

You're really missing out, there is a lot you can learn from guys even if they aren't super squaders.

I agree with Mike here. A lot more of my energy goes into dancing than shooting. I'm serious enough about dance that I've quit my job to study it in another country before; USPSA hasn't elicited that type of commitment yet.

Anyways, being a good practitioner of a sport/art does not make you a good communicator of it.  My best dance instructors have been solid reliable dancers themselves, but I keep going back to them because they can articulate how they perform and recognize the faults and challenges in their students.

I can't find the exact statement, but I remember hearing Carl Sagan say that one of the reasons he was such a good popularize and communicator of science was because he struggled to learn it. Through the struggle he knew where the difficult parts of understanding were and was able to coach other curious minds through the same pitfalls. I've seen the same in dance instructors: the naturally talented and gifted struggle to explain how they perform, while those who struggled through remember their own learning process and can share it with students.

2 hours ago, SCTaylor said:

If they haven't won, in this sport, they're kind of a hack.

Look at the MLB and NBA, the majority of managers and head coaches were not studs in there day but were very solid and studied the game harder than anyone else. Just because you are not a 6 time All-Star or National champion does not mean you can not coach someone else to reach the next level. Great coaches are great observers. 

2 hours ago, lacivilian said:

Look at the MLB and NBA, the majority of managers and head coaches were not studs in there day but were very solid and studied the game harder than anyone else. Just because you are not a 6 time All-Star or National champion does not mean you can not coach someone else to reach the next level. Great coaches are great observers. 

I agree. 

I often ask them who they go to when they seek training.  Someone once told me that it is rude but I don’t mean to give offense. I’m just curious who people seek for training partner or for tuneups at that level.  

The new drills are nice in classes but i go looking for new perspectives on how to train or ways to think about and approach and practice.