Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6/28/18 New high hit factors and retired classifiers

Paulie

On 7/30/2018 at 1:33 PM, 3gunDQ said:

Has anyone put up a GM score with the new HHFs?

...I haven’t, but I only shot two, one with a penalty and another with a mediocre reload. 

I did. ?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was curious if anyone has any insights to the logic of the new adjustments.  What i mean is, i cant seem to clearly identify a meaningful pattern in how some divisions are affected vs others... For example - classifier 99-12 (Take your choice) which seems to be one of the most drastic changes.  Here is what i see based on a recent match scores for top division shooters of that stage:

Open HF 7.0761 Old - 64.33%. New - 60.216%, ~3% difference

Limited HF 7.6271 Old - 84.75%. New -  67.844%, ~17% difference 

CO HF 7.6104 Old - 84.77%.  New - 81.83%, ~3% difference

Prod HF 6.7 Old - 82.61%. New - 70.74%, ~12 % difference

This pattern seems to indicate they felt that iron sight divisions were "too easy" and optics were sort of "ok as is"...  Is that the case?

Edited by nasty618

Was curious if anyone has any insights to the logic of the new adjustments.  What i mean is, i cant seem to clearly identify a meaningful pattern in how some divisions are affected vs others... For example - classifier 99-12 (Take your choice) which seems to be one of the most drastic changes.  Here is what i see based on a recent match scores for top division shooters of that stage:

Open HF 7.0761 Old - 64.33%. New - 60.216%, ~3% difference
Limited HF 7.6271 Old - 84.75%. New -  67.844%, ~17% difference 
CO HF 7.6104 Old - 84.77%.  New - 81.83%, ~3% difference
Prod HF 6.7 Old - 82.61%. New - 70.74%, ~12 % difference

This pattern seems to indicate they felt that iron sight divisions were "too easy" and optics were sort of "ok as is"...  Is that the case?
A sample size of one classifier doesn't mean much.

But with that said, it would not surprise me if we found that pattern/disparity if we ran the data for all classifiers across all divisions.

The simplest explanation is that the iron sight divisions account for the most classifier entries.

The more entries, the more bites at the apple to set ultra-high HFs, and the higher density of super high HFs at the extreme end of the curve.

The stated methodology of HQ was to take away outliers and anomalies and use an average of the next highest X number of classifier HFs to set new HHF.

So this comes as no surprise, and an illustration of reason why they should have had a computer do this instead of a human being.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Just getting into to USPSA (been doing IDPA for 3 years) I did a qualifier match with 24 stages last weekend. I was kind of bummed to only make D. (I’m a SS in IDPA) My local match this weekend had no D class  shooters, all C and above. I was discouraged, I was wondering if everyone was a better shot than me. I guess this thread can make me feel a little better. 

Edited by Malarky112

1 hour ago, Malarky112 said:

Just getting into to USPSA (been doing IDPA for 3 years) I did a qualifier match with 24 stages last weekend. I was kind of bummed to only make D. (I’m a SS in IDPA) My local match this weekend had no D class  shooters, all C and above. I was discouraged, I was wondering if everyone was a better shot than me. I guess this thread can make me feel a little better. 

First, I’d like to know a little more about this 24 stage match you speak of. I think Uspsa Nationals is 18 stages. 

Second,

I wouldn’t worry about the classification much. USPSA and IDPA are totally different games and IPSC is different still. A lot of people think they are pretty hot stuff (myself included) when they come over to USPSA from LE or other shooting sports. Only to find they are middle of the pack or worse. 

Please dont give up. While IDPA has its place, I’m a firm believer that USPSA will challenge all of the shooting disciplines as well as your mental game. Good times for sure!! Stick with it a while. I’m sure you’ll feel the same. 

6 hours ago, Malarky112 said:

This is a very common experience. I also came over from IDPA (SS at time) and was absolutely whipped in my first local match. Second to last place IIRC.

It’s a different game for sure. Put in the work (dry and live) and you’ll soon forget that match and classification.

Don’t be discouraged. Early on is when the most rapid and visible gains are made. I went from D to B in four months with limited live fire practice. 

Edited by Paulie

On 9/25/2018 at 4:17 PM, Sdlrodeo said:

First, I’d like to know a little more about this 24 stage match you speak of. I think Uspsa Nationals is 18 stages. 

Local club in RI did a 12 stage classifier and let you run thru a second time if you wanted to. I’m a glutton for punishment so I said why not. It was a long day! 

8 hours ago, Malarky112 said:

Local club in RI did a 12 stage classifier and let you run thru a second time if you wanted to. I’m a glutton for punishment so I said why not. It was a long day! 

Ah. At first I thought it might have been a typo. But I understand. 

Its pretty common for clubs to run to run a special classifier match that might have 4,5 or maybe even 6 but 12 is a lot. Seems cool though. It would be cool if they set it up as like two 6 stage  (or three 4 stage) matches.  That way you can shoot multiple guns if you want and still have them count for score since you could change out your guns for each match.