Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6/28/18 New high hit factors and retired classifiers

Paulie

Just saw a note in Down Range email blast. [edit- website crashing]

I’ll post the before and after once the site is back up. Not pumped about this as a B trying to make A! 

The USPSA Classification System has been updated to include new High Hit Factors for classifiers in all divisions. Several classifier stages have been retired and will no longer be available for future use as classifiers. The new High Hit Factors have been incorporated into the USPSA Classifier Calculator, which can be found at USPSA.org, and will be included in the upcoming USPSA Mobile App. 

Retired classifiers:

• 99-09 Long Range Standards
  • 99-34 Ported View
  • 03-10 Area 5 Standards
  • 06-07 Steely Speed IV
  • 06-08 Steely Speed V
  • 06-09 Steely Speed VI
  • 08-05 Long Range Standards 2
  • 08-06 Area 4 Standards
  • 09-05 Quad Standards
  • 09-06 Quad Standards 2
  • 09-11 Razor's Edge
  • 13-09 Window Pain
Edited by Paulie

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, Flatland Shooter said:

Will the new high hit factors be retroactive?

Highly doubtful, that would mean taking away some peoples rankings which I don't think they would ever do.

New high hit factors doesn't necessarily mean that they have increased the high hit factor from where it was, I believe for CO some of them are supposed to be lowered. *shrug*

48 minutes ago, Bthomas said:

Highly doubtful, that would mean taking away some peoples rankings which I don't think they would ever do.

Agree. 

Site still down. Unusually high volume? LOL

USPSA Website USPSA Website Down 
2 hours ago

28/06/2018 10:47: We are working to fix this issue.

28/06/2018 10:32: We are investigating an outage on the uspsa.org server

...like when Kim Kardashian butt broke the internet. 

It's showing one that I scored 100% on as 85%!  Damn!

The six used to give me 92.0958% now give me an 86.2363%.   

Gonna be harder to hit 95%

Edited by B_RAD

27 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

It's showing some that I scored 100% on as 85%!  Damn!

The six used to give me 92.0958% now give me an 86.2363%.   

Gonna be harder to hit 95%

That’s a huge change. Would have been nice to get a heads up. 

I just looked at them as well, having made B class this week. I still would have made it as the last classifier dropped 3% and barely above what I needed. But, El Pres dropped 13% compared to how I shot it some weeks ago, guess a lot of people practice it. Only one classifier went up, "Pucker Factor" by about 3% rest went down anywhere from 13 -3%.

22 hours ago, Paulie said:

That’s a huge change. Would have been nice to get a heads up. 

I think if they're gonna be 10%-15% more for the same HF, they should apply the new hhf retroactivitly.   

Edited by B_RAD

1 minute ago, tanks said:

I just looked at them as well, having made B class this week. I still would have made it as the last classifier dropped 3% and barely above what I needed. But, El Pres dropped 13% compared to how I shot it some weeks ago, guess a lot of people practice it. Only one classifier went up, "Pucker Factor" by about 3% rest went down anywhere from 13 -3%.

What do you mean by only one went up? The HHF declined on all the others?

Or are you solving with a lower time meaning declines are actually higher HF? 

1 minute ago, Paulie said:

What do you mean by only one went up? The HHF declined on all the others?

Or are you solving with a lower time meaning declines are actually higher HF? 

I meant percentage went up. On the rest of them the percentage dropped between 3 to 13% for the same hit factor.

Ok, looking at the 6 currently used for my classification right this second in Production.

Classifier. my HF. "old" %. "new" %

99-22. 9.32hf. 92.0%. 90.66%

99-11. 10.26hf. 100%. 88.77%

03-02. 5.88hf 98.14%. 83.20%

03-04. 7.44hf. 89.37%. 79.92%

08-03. 9.06hf. 88.85%. 80.65%

06-03. 13.08hf. 87.74%. 82.04%

Using the old numbers I am currently classified at 92.7%. These are my 6 best that are currently used for my classification. Run the "new" numbers and I fall to 84.2%. So from close to GM all the way down into A.

Wow.

Thousands of guys and gals (present company included) have been dryfiring an hour a night trying to bump and they move goal posts 10% overnight? This is really a kick in the pants.

Why? Was there a problem with a flood of “paper GM’s” or something? 

Putting my self-serving complaint aside: what about competitive equity? This pretty much renders classes irrelevant because legacy classifications are going to have a hard time competing against newly classified people (shooting wise- field course skills equal) and they can’t downgrade absent age or injury. 

Edited by Paulie

The hill got a little steeper for those of us still trying to climb it.

I went through my classifiers with the new calculator and previously the average HHF was 10.0, now it's 11.0.

My previous classification was 63.84% but now I'm still C at 59.20%. Thankfully I do better at major matches than on classifiers so I have one of those finishes propping up my scores a little.

13-05, 09-08, 13-01, and 99-24 all got about 2% easier.

Maybe I made a typo (I can't use the calculator anymore, no many queries), but it looks like 03-09 got 24% harder?  My 6.1172HF used to be a solid B and now it's only 48%.

03-02, 06-03, and 09-02 all had their HHFs jump more than 12%.

edit: these are all Production scores.

Edited by belus

Production being overall 10% harder. I wonder what they based that upon. I felt like overall Production was pretty accurately math’d out before this

Yes, El Prez, Both Sides Now, and a handful of others were too easy to shoot GM on. And some of the others were impossible.

But I don’t feel like making the division as a whole 10% harder is a logical move.

A lot of Production shooters are going to begin putting together PCCs this week... :D 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

23 minutes ago, Paulie said:

...Putting my self-serving complaint aside: what about competitive equity? This pretty much renders classes irrelevant because legacy classifications are going to have a hard time competing against newly classified people (shooting wise- field course skills equal) and they can’t downgrade absent age or injury. 

To be honest if someone is not shooting close to the top edge or above their classification then they are not going to win within that class anyway.  I looked at my scores before and after the change . My overall percentage dropped by 4.6275%. So, the difference, at least in my class, is not that big. Hopefully by the time someone with a new classification makes it to my class I have improved accordingly.  I realize at M class it will make a bigger difference as the upper and lower range is not that big and 5% or so is a huge difference.

On the positive side of things it will make upper levels more competitive. I know A level shooters that were getting 100% on classifiers while shooting 70%  or so on major matches.

The High Hit Factors have needed updated for a LONG time. If the proverbial "bar" is now higher that is a good thing.

My only beef with the classification system is how they poach existing division High Hit Factors for new divisions. Like most of the PCC High Hit Factors were based on Open which is a complete joke for many of the classifiers. This is why we see a flood of M/GM PCC shooters that would struggle to make A class in any pistol division.

10 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Production being overall 10% harder. I wonder what they based that upon. I felt like overall Production was pretty accurately math’d out before this

I think you previously mentioned it possibly being based on the top 16 at nationals and that sounds plausible. I shot in a Level II with Ben Stoeger in February and scored 58% of him. With the new HHFs I'm basically at that level.

But I also shot a Level II in March with three regional GMs and 50 production guys and scored 68% there.  I guess it comes down to whether you want your class % to reflect the national level or what you could expect to see regionally. Either way I'm going to be competing against the same local guys who sometimes beat me.

6 minutes ago, tanks said:

On the positive side of things it will make upper levels more competitive. I know A level shooters that were getting 100% on classifiers while shooting 70%  or so on major matches.

I do appreciate this too. I'm partially motivated by improving my classifier %, but I want it to be consistent and not from getting lucky.

3 minutes ago, BritinUSA said:

My percentage in CO did not change at all…

Your existing scores are not going to change. 

Use the classifier calculator with one of your posted scores and see if the percentages match.