Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tripp Cobra 10 Round Problems

jschweg

Just wanted to get some experiences or opinions.

I have a bunch of 10 round Tripp Cobras that I've been using in competition for 2 years which have been flawless. I primarily compete in PPC leagues that limit 6 rounds in the mag because the wheel guns aren't in a separate class.

I shot my first steel challenge practice match earlier this evening and loaded 10 rounds into these mags for the first time. With 10 rounds loaded, the second round nose dives into the feed ramp and jams almost every single time. I loaded 9 rounds for the rest of the match and it ran like a champ.

Are these 9mm 10 round magazines iffy when loading the full 10 rounds? I'm shooting my own 147 grain reloads at 1.14 in my Trojan.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I've seen the same issues and usually it has to do with the second round being pushed forward in the tube when the first round is chambered.  I've even seen it on first round from slide lock if the round wasn't pushed all the way back in the tube.  I've moved and had most of my shooters move to the CMC XP mags.  No issues with the rounds moving because of the feedlip style.

On 6/27/2018 at 6:49 AM, scubajosh77 said:

I've seen the same issues and usually it has to do with the second round being pushed forward in the tube when the first round is chambered.  I've even seen it on first round from slide lock if the round wasn't pushed all the way back in the tube.  I've moved and had most of my shooters move to the CMC XP mags.  No issues with the rounds moving because of the feedlip style.

Yep same for me. No issues with the CMC XP mags.

Edited by Dave C

Thanks for the responses guys.

I'm going to email Tripp and see if they have any suggestions. I have a bunch of these mags and I'd like to figure out a way to make them work.

18 hours ago, jschweg said:

Thanks for the responses guys.

I'm going to email Tripp and see if they have any suggestions. I have a bunch of these mags and I'd like to figure out a way to make them work.

Interested in response, I’m experiencing top round nose dive on slide lock reload with 10 round Tripp mags in my DW PM9

It's a common problem more to do with the feeding geometry than any type of mag. Google around and you'll find better descriptions than I can muster here.

I have a set of 10mm Tripp mags I use for a .40 that used to have this problem. I had a gunsmith recut the feed ramp and after a fresh spring the gun was running fine with 10 rnds and truncated nose bullets.

EGW makes a raised mag catch that is another commonly suggested fix.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

It's a common problem more to do with the feeding geometry than any type of mag. Google around and you'll find better descriptions than I can muster here.

I have a set of 10mm Tripp mags I use for a .40 that used to have this problem. I had a gunsmith recut the feed ramp and after a fresh spring the gun was running fine with 10 rnds and truncated nose bullets.

EGW makes a raised mag catch that is another commonly suggested fix.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Yes, this is basically what Tripp said. They also suggested the same mag catch as well.

Honestly, I think if I was using round nose bullets, I doubt that it would even be a problem. I think the flat points are just hanging up at the bottom of the feed ramp.

13 hours ago, jschweg said:

Honestly, I think if I was using round nose bullets, I doubt that it would even be a problem. I think the flat points are just hanging up at the bottom of the feed ramp.

I have two 9mm single stacks with different ramp types and haven't experienced any feeding issues with 10 round mags and 147 rn. One of these is an older bull barreled commander Rock Island that I consider a gem considering it was inexpensive and runs really well.

Almost switched .40 bullets to a round nose when the other gun was given me fits but a good local smith got it all sorted out. 

My 10x9 Tripps are ok, with, like Wilson 47D, an occasional spring change.

My 9mm 1911oids got some ramp work back when Metalform was the only  10x9 magazine on the market, that may have mattered with the Tripps.  The Colt pretty well demands roundnose bullets, still. 

Like Josh says, I was moving more and more to CMC XDs.  I was dismayed to see they were not on the CMC www post-Wilson buyout and bought a few on my last Midway order and probably will for the next.

Our Springfield 9mm 1911s have been flawless with Tripp mags over what I would estimate is a combined 150K rounds.  We no longer run 147gr FP  primarily because we don't have to make PF, but they ren flawless with the occasional stutter when chambering the first round.  For heavy bullets Acme 145gr (RN) work great in our 1911s FWIW.

• 1 month later...

I found the front of the follower got crud or was rough causing the follower front to chatter and dip. I cleaned and used fine sand paper lightly on the front tab of the follower that slides on the magazine.  This corrected most feed problems.  I also did reform one of the follower tab which helped. The Tripp Cobra mags works fine and I like them better than the lighter Wilson.

I've got about 20 of Virgil's mags. Some for my EDC Colt  CCO 45s. And a dozen for my 9mm Steel guns. Very few issues and when i do, I've called Virgil who fixed the issues immediately.

It is really nice to be able to reach out to the man whose name is on his product.

Edited by p7fl
typo

+1 for Tripp.  I've been running the same set of 8 System mags with the hybrid follower for my 40 for the last 4 years and have never had a problem no matter what bullet shape (mostly 180's though).  I too have the Dawson higher mag catch though, it was suggested to me to put in before I ever even fired a round so that's what I did. YMMV.  

• 2 months later...

+1 to all the Tripp accolades. Out of six new Cobra magazines (9mm) I had one with the spacer in the wrong position. I sent the mag body to Tripp Research with a note, and they sent me a brand new magazine. Great folks to deal with.

Virgil builds a damn good-looking gun, too.

15 hours ago, Tampa-XD45 said:

How did you resolve your nose dive problem with your PM-9?

It may have been a break in issue, but all I have done is leave my mags fully loaded for a few weeks and have no longer had any issues. I know this does not make sense, but my nosedive issue has disappeared.

Edited by mwx40x40