Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rimfire Rifle Build

Adamj

I really likr my $230 Hiperfire and recommend it to everyone with an AR.  Having said that, I like my $85 Kidd trigger even more.  

Yep. The Giselle and Hiperfire triggers are great, as far as AR triggers go, and even my cheap Velocity and my POF triggers are pretty nice, but again, nothing save maybe a good 1911 trigger can touch a good 10/22 trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, 1911luvr said:

Yep. The Giselle and Hiperfire triggers are great, as far as AR triggers go, and even my cheap Velocity and my POF triggers are pretty nice, but again, nothing save maybe a good 1911 trigger can touch a good 10/22 trigger.

There’s a part of me that wants to try out the top end Kidd trigger, but his entry model is so good I don’t really see a need as yet.  Maybe if I felt one in my hands I’d change my mind.  

Is the kidd better than the top tier Brimstone?  I've tried that and it's very light 1ish lbs i was told.  To light IMO.  I did like it but I did not think it reset faster (shorter) than a hiperfire.  Both have no takeup, hiperfire hits harder.  Doesn't matter much, I can't outshoot either one.

4 minutes ago, Andyk said:

Is the kidd better than the top tier Brimstone?  I've tried that and it's very light 1ish lbs i was told.  To light IMO.  I did like it but I did not think it reset faster (shorter) than a hiperfire.  Both have no takeup, hiperfire hits harder.  Doesn't matter much, I can't outshoot either one.

I'm unfamiliar with the Brimstone, but if you've used a Hiperfire 24c, I'd say that the entry level Kidd is crisper and has a slightly shorter reset, which is saying a lot given the short reset of the Hiperfire.  I've never measured my Kidd's trigger weight but I'd guess that it is in the 2-2.5# zone.  The higher end Kidd triggers are not adjustable, but you can order them pre-set for pretty much any weight.  I like my triggers in the 2-2.5# zone, for what it's worth.

On 11/3/2018 at 3:23 PM, jkrispies said:

There’s a part of me that wants to try out the top end Kidd trigger, but his entry model is so good I don’t really see a need as yet.  Maybe if I felt one in my hands I’d change my mind.  

^^this. 

The entry-level Kidd trigger is ridiculously good.

Anyone got pics with a Hogue stock ?   Here in the people's republic of CT, we cannot have a pistol grip or thumb hole.   I'm looking for steel challenge usage so lightweight is best.   

Currently have a Titan for benchrest shooting that I need to take off.   

8 hours ago, jrdoran said:

Anyone got pics with a Hogue stock ?   Here in the people's republic of CT, we cannot have a pistol grip or thumb hole.   I'm looking for steel challenge usage so lightweight is best.   

Currently have a Titan for benchrest shooting that I need to take off.   

I've used a hogue overmold and found it to be okay but not amazing.  I wouldn't go out of my way to talk you out of it, but I'd certainly lean more towards the Magpul stock if in your position.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2018 at 9:08 PM, Adamj said:

The hogue I have used before flexed way too much for me. I would look for something a little more rigid. 

Agreed. I started with a hogue and it has way too much flex. Magpul or one of the other Boyd's stocks that doesn't have a pistol grip would be my vote if you have restrictions.

On 11/6/2018 at 9:55 PM, jkrispies said:

I've used a hogue overmold and found it to be okay but not amazing.  I wouldn't go out of my way to talk you out of it, but I'd certainly lean more towards the Magpul stock if in your position.

Agreed. I started with a hogue and it has way too much flex. Magpul or one of the other Boyd's stocks that doesn't have a pistol grip would be my vote if you have restrictions.

Thanks everyone.   

Edited by jrdoran

On 11/3/2018 at 1:29 PM, 1911luvr said:

Their top end trigger is very nice and can be sent as low as 6 ounces if I’m not mistaken, but that I think is a little too light for our game in steel challenge.

You are correct. The Brimstone and Kidd top end triggers are more geared to benchrest shooting or silhouettes shot offhand. For the steel game I believe they are a bit too light and could result in some AD's if you're not real careful. 

3 hours ago, IHMSA15151 said:

You are correct. The Brimstone and Kidd top end triggers are more geared to benchrest shooting or silhouettes shot offhand. For the steel game I believe they are a bit too light and could result in some AD's if you're not real careful. 

Not sure why you guys feel that way... I use a Kidd 2 stage set at 8oz 1st stage and 8oz 2nd ( break ) It is just a matter of finger control  I have once or twice when I first started using the Kidd have had a premature discharge... but it was no harm no foul.... BTW if you think a AD is a automatic DQ you are wrong.... as long as the round does not strike within 10 feet or worse goes over the berm... it is just another 6 cent miss … my wife's  RFRO has a 2lb and it feels like it will never break quick enough when I am transitioning between plates... I think I am literally slapping the trigger as the dot crosses a plate and because it breaks so easy there is no jerk or pull off... again it is what you get used to and yes you must have good finger discipline … which you should have even with a seven pound trigger... YMMV

IMG_0892.JPG

Edited by xpierrat

Here is part of a vid from a Action Steel match....if you look right at the end of the vid where I go to transition from a array of targets to the right all the way to the left  ( even though I am not moving feet wise ) you can see my trigger finger go up the side of the gun as I pivot before I again start shooting.

Not sure why you guys feel that way... I use a Kidd 2 stage set at 8oz 1st stage and 8oz 2nd ( break ) It is just a matter of finger control  I have once or twice when I first started using the Kidd have had a premature discharge... but it was no harm no foul.... BTW if you think a AD is a automatic DQ you are wrong.... as long as the round does not strike within 10 feet or worse goes over the berm... it is just another 6 cent miss … my wife's  RFRO has a 2lb and it feels like it will never break quick enough when I am transitioning between plates... I think I am literally slapping the trigger as the dot crosses a plate and because it breaks so easy there is no jerk or pull off... again it is what you get used to and yes you must have good finger discipline … which you should have even with a seven pound trigger... YMMV
IMG_0892.JPG.a2756ce55b03ac9a2612ad0c9bf1a4f7.JPG

I would never use a two stage trigger for speed shooting, period. I use a Kidd trigger job kit (not to be confused with their full trigger group) and their spring set which gives me a super short pull, smooth 1.5lb trigger break, and ridiculously short reset which makes this rifle extremely fast. For me, a quick 4-5mm pulse while maintaining normal finger contact throughout the stage is much faster than slapping the trigger. I haven’t beaten Trenton, Kolby or Cole yet, so until then my opinion may not mean a whole lot so take it for what it’s worth.

21 hours ago, xpierrat said:

Here is part of a vid from a Action Steel match....if you look right at the end of the vid where I go to transition from a array of targets to the right all the way to the left  ( even though I am not moving feet wise ) you can see my trigger finger go up the side of the gun as I pivot before I again start shooting.

Get a slightly heavier trigger and you won't have to remove your finger for target transitions.  It has to slow you down, you may very well find faster times

3 hours ago, Paul-the new guy said:

Get a slightly heavier trigger and you won't have to remove your finger for target transitions.  It has to slow you down, you may very well find faster times

Trust me it don't slow me down... that finger position depends on how big the transition... in this case it was almost 160 degrees so the finger came off the trigger as it does when I have to move... on Steel Challenge it never leaves the face of the trigger and I have NO problems with AD's   as I said before YMMV  a 8oz break suits my shooting style just fine.

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:01 AM, Paul-the new guy said:

I won a magnum research 22 at the NRA world shoot.  Looks pretty much like my 10/22  I assume the Kidd trigger would work in it? 

Small world!  I won one as well.  First thing I did was drop a Kidd single stage in it.  Works beautifully.  I think it's going to make a fantastic steel challenge rifle.