Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rimfire Rifle Build

Adamj

Put together a rimfire rifle for steel challenge. Began life as a basic bi$@% Ruger 10/22. Upgraded the trigger with a KIDD single stage trigger drop in unit. Barrel got swapped out with a KIDD lightweight fluted aluminum sleeved bull barrel. Threw it in a Boyds SS Evolution stock.

Added some additional parts starting with a KIDD magazine release,  KIDD bolt buffer,  KIDD bolt handle charging assembly. I also threw a C-more 8 moa dot on top. I might be slightly one- sided in the components I like to use. This one can be shot much faster than I am capable of going. 

20180626_182337-1008x567.jpg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, ZackJones said:

Someone makes one better than Allchin? Do tell. Or are you talking about something specific to the Kidd barrel?

Not to tear down the Allchin—I shot one for quite a while and have recommended them previously—but Pace Setting Designs makes one that is way better.  I’ve stated many times before that I believe the main function of a .22lr comp on a rifle is just to throw the noise back to the timer.  They both do that, which is a wash between the two in comparison.  However, the PSD looks very cool versus the Allchin.  WAAAAY more importantly than any of that, though, the PSD is cerakoted (or something) and the way the baffles are designed, the lead shrinks a little when it cools on the coating rather than adhering to it like on the Allchin, so it cleans about a thousand times easier than the Allchin.  I won’t say that the the lead just falls out of the PSD, but it kinda feels that way by comparison.   

I'm actually looking for a comp and have been directed to Allchin and Tandemkross. I know they're are people much smarter than me designing these things,  but does a .22lr produce enough gas for side cuts to benefit the shooter. My simple brain thought that if anything at all only top cuts might be effective for such a diminutive round. 

1 hour ago, Adamj said:

I'm actually looking for a comp and have been directed to Allchin and Tandemkross. I know they're are people much smarter than me designing these things,  but does a .22lr produce enough gas for side cuts to benefit the shooter. My simple brain thought that if anything at all only top cuts might be effective for such a diminutive round. 

In my scientifically uneducated opinion, no, there isn't enough gas produced by the time a .22lr has traveled the length of a 16"+ barrel to do anything of substance to run a muzzle brake/comp, so I doubt that it matters what direction you have the ports pointed.  I do know that it's very helpful, sometimes even required depending, for throwing the sound backwards to the timer.  Now, if we're talking about gas coming out of a short pistol barrel, I think it's entirely possible that a comp could have some benefit for controlling the muzzle.

• 1 month later...

I've tried a lot of comps on 22 competition pistols, and every one of them reduces muzzle rise.  That is important in some games; not so much for SC.  One of the loudest and most effective is the ugly little 2-port comp CWA used to sell.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice rifles everyone! Can't find a pic of mine on this phone but it's not quite as fancy.

I do have mine in a Boyds Evolution stock, though. Comfortable and the looks make it go faster, right??

• 1 month later...