Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning a C-more window

Lexor40cal

So I have to share this with everyone here, as I had no idea this was possible.

I have had a number of C-more sights mounded on open guns over the years, and even with a blast shield fitted to all of them the window aperture would eventually grow smaller in diameter from the continual pressure blasts of gasses from the popple holes and comp vents, even with wiping it after every stage with a lens cleaner.

I've changed out complete sights as they really vignette down so there is 1/4" that is heavily smoked around the outside of the aperture.

Well I recently decided I was going to try and remove the window from a serendipity that I am no longer using and try to order a new replacement window from the factory. Well there is a little plastic snap ring behind the window that comes out pretty easily, but the windows are bonded into the plastic housing (I'm not sure how the windows are secured in the aluminum housing), and after a call to C-more they told me they would not supply me with a replacement window, and to ship it in for them to do.

Well I thought to myself, if I'm going to ship it in they are going to trash the window to remove it, so I might as well have a go at removing the discolored area myself, what can hurt if I scratch it. So I take a nice new Stanley box cutter blade and gently start scratching at the darkest areas, and to my astonishment, it didn't matter how hard I got on the glass, it didn't damage the window or the coating that is on the glass. I finished cleaning it with Windex and a good cloth, took care of a few little lines I missed, and it's as good as new. First photo serendipity after 2/3 attacks, second photo is a slide ride after first go around, just a few more lines to take care of.

So don't shy away from it, have at it, it's difficult to damage the window or the coating.

Hopefully this advise is helpful to someone and saves you some $$$, and allows you to see more clearly through your window...............

IMG_2530.JPG

IMG_2532.JPG

I carry alcohol wipes at the matches and I have my Cmore getting a little more cloudy and there are a couple spots on the glass that just won't come clean.  I have tried vinegar and 91% alcohol on it.  I'm going to try toothpaste on it.

So you just scrapped it with a razor blade?  Did you use any liquids?

2 minutes ago, aandabooks said:

I carry alcohol wipes at the matches and I have my Cmore getting a little more cloudy and there are a couple spots on the glass that just won't come clean.  I have tried vinegar and 91% alcohol on it.  I'm going to try toothpaste on it.

So you just scrapped it with a razor blade?  Did you use any liquids?

Just a Stanley utility blade, scrapped at it, then cloth & Windex., 

I used to run a 90deg mount wit Popple holes and my cmore lenses would get almost black after a few stages.   I would use CLR on a q-tip and then use a regular   lenses wipe from Walgreens  to shine it up.  Fast and very effective 

On 6/25/2018 at 10:04 PM, arkadi said:

Human saliva. When alcohol cannot make it, I give it a good spit.

if soap and  regular water (not holly water?) not help . good spit is the old optic military  technicians  secret.

and after this with soap again to clean the stomach acids from the lens.

I use one of those throw away alcohol pads(what they use at a Dr office) and a microfiber cloth I have in my range bag. I bought a bottle of stuff called "Dot Drool", a supposed better idea for cleaning dots. I didn't notice any difference between alcohol pads and dot drool. It works well enough so I keep it in my range bag and use it during the match, otherwise I use the pads in the shop.( I suspect just about any fast evaporating solvent would work just as well)

r

I'm sure all of those methods are good, but I wanted to let everyone know, that if you leave it and let it build up, now I'm talking years worth, of just wiping it with a cloth after/before every stage, it heavily builds up around the outer 1/4" of the window. It was that thick, that all of the other suggested ways of cleaning the window didn't work. That's why I took a sharp edge to it, I had nothing to loose. The point of the post is to let everyone know that the glass and coating is so hard, it is difficult to scratch it. Now, IDK if you took a pointed end and tried to scratch it, but using a blade as a scrapper, it didn't damage the glass or coating. BTW Kudos to C-more for making a tough product too!