Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

16" Barrel PCC Load - 115gr JHP? N310? N320?

I'm building a new PCC rifle with a 16 inch barrel and hope to get all the parts together by this weekend...  Thinking about what ammo to load for it...  I don't have much/any experience loading for rifles...  I'm concerned that fast powder like N310 will be too fast for a 16 inch barrel.

I also have quite a lot of N320 and would like to use that...  It's a bit slower than the WST a lot of you seem to like...  Is it too slow?

The only JHP bullets I have are the 115gr Everglades bullets that I shoot in my Open gun...  Are those too light for a full length PCC rifle?

I'm building a new PCC rifle with a 16 inch barrel and hope to get all the parts together by this weekend...  Thinking about what ammo to load for it...  I don't have much/any experience loading for rifles...  I'm concerned that fast powder like N310 will be too fast for a 16 inch barrel.

I also have quite a lot of N320 and would like to use that...  It's a bit slower than the WST a lot of you seem to like...  Is it too slow?

The only JHP bullets I have are the 115gr Everglades bullets that I shoot in my Open gun...  Are those too light for a full length PCC rifle?

Not too light. Much flatter than 147 gr. Looking for the same thing for a load.

One source has N320, 4.1 gr., COL 1.130” and 1,206 FPS for FMJ bullet from 16” barrel. That seems a little high on powder since VV data shows 3.9 gr. @ 997 and 4.5 gr. @ 1119 for FMJ-RN Lapua for pistol data. For my PPC I will start with 3.8 and COL of 1.10 to 1.13” and see what the chrono says.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an awesome load for a Faxon 16" barrel with N320!!!!

1.085oal, 135grBBI, 3.1gr N320 for 129PF or 3.2gr N320 for 132 PF, .380 crimp(no crimp)

I was at 3.7gr N320 on 115 grain projectiles but it did not feel nearly as good as 135gr.

Edited by alvinsmith75

I don't have any luck with 115 at 50 yards. I don't know how you guys are doing it. The only thing that groups in my Rock River is 147 grain jacketed. I have been loading  147 Zero JHP at 1.150" OAL with 4.2 grains of VV N340. I have not chronographed these yet but I get a super tight group at 50 yards.  Is this too much of a distance?

140ish PF (a 130 load in you handguns) seems to run really well and really flat.

Remember that you’ve left handgun land. We aren’t after soft: you’re a grown man shooting a six pound handgun from your shoulder.

What matter is how FLAT your gun shoots.

I load a 125 over Prima V (similar burn to N320) and it makes 140-145 through my 16” Guard barrel. I’ve shot a buddies ammo that was loaded lighter, and yes it shot a pinch softer. It just didn’t shoot any flatter, so I’m leaving well enough alone. Tinkering nonstop means I’ll never get better because I’m swapping parts instead of practicing.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

All good tips, thanks!  I think I will try the 115gr JHP bullets with N320...  See how it works.

Do any of you shoot lead or polymer coated bullets in your PCC rifles?  I only shoot JHP's in my Open gun to cut down on lead buildup in the compensator...  Wondering if the lead buildup would be as bad in a 9mm minor rifle.

34 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

All good tips, thanks!  I think I will try the 115gr JHP bullets with N320...  See how it works.

Do any of you shoot lead or polymer coated bullets in your PCC rifles?  I only shoot JHP's in my Open gun to cut down on lead buildup in the compensator...  Wondering if the lead buildup would be as bad in a 9mm minor rifle.

I only shoot BBI coated bullets in everything. No issues at all as long as you DO NOT crimp them.  Crimp should be .380 which is just closing the bell from seating the projectile

On 6/25/2018 at 6:55 PM, chevrofreak said:

I run a 115 with N350 and I think it feels better than fast powders. 

Good to know. 

I’m down to my last 4# of N-320 but still have 24# of N-350 in reserve.  Give me a couple of months and it’s back to load development. 

Hello: I tried 115's in my AR9mm PCC and did not like the recoil impulse. I am using 121-124 grain bullets with Tite Group and they work well in the 131-134PF range. This is with a 16" barrel. I would load up some of your 115's with the N320 you have an see how you like them. I think around 3.7 grains of N320 at 1.140" OAL should work but check to see if your barrel will take that length with those bullet. Thanks, Eric

@RaylanGivens I have just under 1,000 225gr Black Bullets though my gun with a surefire comp on it. 

A tiny bit of build up so far maybe. If I have to clean the comp every thousand or two, I’m okay with that to save the money over jacketed.

And... hopefully a good soak in some kroil will allow the buildup to blow out with the first few shots on the next range trip.

• 10 months later...

See what works for your gun.  Every gun/barrel/buffer combination is different.

I tried both N320 and N350 with different weight and brand of bullets.  On my gun, lighter bullets (115 gr) worked well and the heavier (147 gr) ones didn't group nearly as well.  Have finally settled on a 115 gr bullet over 4.2 gr. of N320.  I like the feel of the round in my gun, and I can consistently hit steel plates at 100 yards offhand; at 25 yards, the rounds are pretty much touching.

The best thing to do is experiment, and use a reasonable scope to see what works and what doesn't.

Good luck.