Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet weight for sti

Dpolk

I’m shooting an sti executive in .40 I am going to start using the blue bullets for reloading and was curious as to what weight works best. I have been shooting 180 since they are easy to come by in my area. Does the 200 work a little better? I’m going to load to around 170-175 power factor. 

Ive shot the blues in 180 and other brands as well and for USPSA shooting or similar, 180 is the go to weight. My load for the blue 180s was/is 4.8 gr of VV320 at 1.2 OAL. Makes major easily. There might be a small diff in felt recoil with the 200s but can't imagine much change over the 180.

• 3 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, Mike21STI said:

I started with 200 grs, just switched to 180's under a timer you won't be able to feel the difference.  Other than having to use less powder to make power factor it doesn't make much difference

I had similar experience but I did the opposite, I started with 180's then switched to 200. As I was switching I practiced a few days with both load, and couldn't really tell a difference. Certainly not on the clock.

180's are cheaper.

I've seen everything from 155 through to 200gr projectiles used in various STI (Edge) pistols.  All are accurate enough, its just a matter of recoil preference.  Personally I prefer at middle weight projectile ~180gr projectile.  200gr projectiles make me a bit nervous due to their weight and depth into case required to seat them at ~1.20" but I understand some folk love them.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had great luck with both, besides from saving a little bit on powder over time, but 200's are usually from my bullet guy (Bear Creek) are just a touch more expensive. Difference in negligent in my opinion. I've had great luck with Bear Creek 180's on 4.2 TG at 1.118 i tried longer like 1.124 last weekend had one little hickup so went just a touch shorter and they seem to function flawlessly out if the 300 I've shot. 

• 4 weeks later...

I notice the difference between the 200's compared to the 180's. To me the 180's are a bit more snappy which I like. 

Brazos Gun Works  wrote an article in the Front Site magazine a few issues ago which was extremely interesting. 

Black and Blue Bullets make a 190 gr  round nose bullet. Shot about 500 of them and my gun loves them. Problem is they are a tad expensive.

Try both and see which one you like most.

• 2 weeks later...

Great info! I'm also a fan of the 180 gr Blue Bullets.  I just bought an STI Edge and was wondering what OAL to use... I was using 4.5 gr TiteGroup with 1.125 OAL for my 180 gr loads out of my M&P Pro and making about 175 PF, sounds like i don't really have to mess with my setup too much... 

I like both 180s and 200s. I ran across a deal on 180 JHP Montana golds so I use those mostly. However, I really like the Syntech 205 factory ammo for Matches. For some reason, they really seem to be just right in my Titan. So, I just ordered 3K of the Precision Delta 200 grn FPs so we’ll see what I can work up with those this winter.