Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 40 S&W brass

zzt

The last batch of brass I bought was no where near as good as the first three batches of 3000 ea.  I had a lot of problems with it.  So much so, I decided to buy processed once fired, same headstamp.  I don't load on a 1050, so i definitely don't want swaged primer brass.

I can get a reasonably good deal on Winchester brass.  Any other good, unswaged primer pocket brass out there?  I can also buy Federal, Remington and Speer.

I’ve never seen a crimped 40. They may be out there, but I don’t know. I would suggest a different reloading strategy, I buy raw, mixed brass without issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sounds like you're looking at the Shooters Connection processed brass. I've been using mixed headstamp and have had good enough results. I'll get a few every few hundred that the GRX can't save and I just toss them into my "dismantle, do not use" box.

From what I've found (and this is strictly my personal experience) the Federal, Speer and Blazer brass has all seated primers easier, as well as the case mouth opens a little more when they go into the powder thru die so the bullet sits in the mouth a tiny bit deeper than on the WIN labeled brass.

Overall the WIN brass seems to be a little bit stiffer. I find myself having to push just a little more to get the primers to seat fully. 

What that means over the long term I have no idea because most of my brass is only being reloaded 3-5 times, which is on the low end, before being left at a match. 

For me I was also looking at the fully processed brass, but I can get cleaned and deprimed once fired for pretty cheap locally ($25 per 1000) so for me I've decided the little bit of extra work is worth it. All brass through the GRX, then load as normal, case gauge, separate the handful that won't gauge, run those rounds through GRX, those that will then gauge freely and easy go into the use rotation. Those that are just a little snug or won't fit at all go into the tear downs box. 

I've never used Remington brass, but a quick google search comes up with some posts saying that the brass is a bit on the thin side and isn't as durable as the others. 

As was stated above, if you're buying new brass, Starline is the way to go. If you're going to get mixed brass or sorted brass, stick to the major brands like Federal, Speer, Blazer (brass), WIN. 

Ultimately it's really up to you if you feel like you've got the time to process mixed brass yourself. If you've just got enough time to load, then the fully processed may be the way to go. For me, I just figured on my days off I've got the time to do the extra work and the price for cleaned brass for me is too good to justify the processed brass. 

I have been using wet cleaned range brass forever.  It costs $30/1000 shipped.  I always end up with a few crimped primers.  No big deal.  This last batch of 2000 was a mess.  There were many crimped primers, a lot of brass so short it would not activate the powder measure, and many so thin the bullet feeder dropped the bullet and it dropped all the way into the case.  

I just ordered 3000 Win HS cases, dirty.  I'll see if that helps.  I considered Shooter's Connection, but they never have enough in stock to make the shipping worthwhile.  All my matches are lost brass, so Starline is out of the question.

Not sure of the “best”...but can tell you some of the worst is Federal that has a NT stamped on the head. All I can figure is that the NT stands for non-toxic? I want to say I remember them making Frangible loads that were marked NT? Anyway, this stuff sucks and crushes primers EVERYTIME! Total crap. Believe it or not, I can now feel a piece in the resizing die...kind of springy/spongey feeling. I’m almost 100% now in catching them in the downstroke in my Dillon 550B. 

Anyway, I think they’re crimped primer pockets. A buddy of mine bought a ton of it and had to swage the primer pockets to be able to use it. 

Hope this helps avoid “bargains”!!!

When I got my Gen 4 G23, I opted for once fired. I bought Win nickel and brass. Rem RP nickel and brass. Speer nickel and brass, Fed nickel. Blazer brass, and even some CCI brass. All in all I probably purchased a total of 1,500 once fired of the brands mentioned. That was back in 2013, and I still have and load over half of the lot. The only change is the nickel. I do not pick it up anymore.

Starting around 2015, I started buying Starline. I can't be happier with that brass. For sure, one of the best on the market. Flawless reloads, and that goes for all my once fired I purchased. I have never had any types of issues with any of them.:)

• 6 months later...