Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet hitting feed ramp causing this?

B_RAD

I switched to blue bullets a few weeks ago. On bullets that have been chambered I've noticed an indention.  When switching to these bullets I did not adjust my seating die.  These rounds have been 100 percent reliable and the accuracy does not seem to be affected by this. The blue bullets are longer than the Xtreme so by my math, the bullet was seated the same depth inside the case but since they worked I saw no need to seat them any deeper.  This was before I noticed this issue. The OAL length of the round is 1.250". Like I said, so far these have been reliable, but the bullets are hitting and being marred. One would think the chances for a malfunction would be higher.  I'm guessing here but it looks like the round is hitting the top of the feed ramp? BTW I'm using a 10# recoil spring.

Thinking I should experiment with shorter OAL (and reduce the charge).

Thoughts?

IMG_20180624_33780.jpg

Edited by B_RAD

4 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Is that mark there after reloading, and before you chamber them ?

No. It happens from being chambered.  It's not there from reloading. 

I bet the mark is there from the bottom of the feed ramp, not the top. Slide comes forward, driving the round into the bottom of the ramp, then the round continues upwards into the chamber. 8 have seen this with my own reloads using a softer lead bullet head, and it's usually on flat points or truncated cones. I don't recall ever seeing this with a round nose (lead or jacketed).

What bullets did you switch from? What bullet profile? 

I need to correct some info up top. 

My current load of 180 gr blue bullets are at 1.215". Not 1.250". 

I was using Xtrme 180 FP loaded to 1.185". 

I was also incorrect about the base of the bullet being seated to the same depth. The BB are .632" and the Xtreme .575". I must have adjusted to get the blues down to where they are now. 

The profiles are different between the two but I think the softer blue is why it's deforming. 

I can tell you exactly what it is.... and it is not from the loading process. 

This type of mark happens when the bottom of the edge of the ramp hits the top round in the mag as the barrel is traveling rearward/unlocking. 

Shortening your length may help some, but probably won't cure it.  The main culprit is that when your barrel is at its most rearward position, the feed ramp sticks out past the frame.  Most likely, this has always happened, you just notice it more on the soft lead bullet. 

It can be a real pain to correct.  You will probably have to shorten the bottom corner of the ramp, so that it protrudes less when the barrel is against the VIS. 

9 minutes ago, Ssanders224 said:

I can tell you exactly what it is.... and it is not from the loading process. 

This type of mark happens when the bottom of the edge of the ramp hits the top round in the mag as the barrel is traveling rearward/unlocking. 

Shortening your length may help some, but probably won't cure it.  The main culprit is that when your barrel is at its most rearward position, the feed ramp sticks out past the frame.  Most likely, this has always happened, you just notice it more on the soft lead bullet. 

It can be a real pain to correct.  You will probably have to shorten the bottom corner of the ramp, so that it protrudes less when the barrel is against the VIS. 

Thanks man. 

Never would have thought of that. 

23 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

Thanks man. 

Never would have thought of that. 

No problem.  Make sure it is not setting your bullet back. 

Usually when the ramp is smacking the bullet that hard, your going to get a little setback.   Probably not enough to cause any real issues, but it can make SDs look crazy across the chrono. 

1 hour ago, Ssanders224 said:

No problem.  Make sure it is not setting your bullet back. 

Usually when the ramp is smacking the bullet that hard, your going to get a little setback.   Probably not enough to cause any real issues, but it can make SDs look crazy across the chrono. 

Yep.

I had some dummy rounds loaded so I put one in the mag, started with the gun at slide lock and racked the slide back hard to chamber the round.  No mark.  

I've had good SD when chrono but I'll be checking to see if it's seating the bullet deaper. 

56 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

Yep.

I had some dummy rounds loaded so I put one in the mag, started with the gun at slide lock and racked the slide back hard to chamber the round.  No mark.  

I've had good SD when chrono but I'll be checking to see if it's seating the bullet deaper. 

Yeah, you won't be able to recreate it by hand. 

When the slide chambers a round, I think it drags the top round in the mag forward a little sometimes.  So the bullet is closer/against the frame, and the ramp smacks it when it comes back. 

1 hour ago, Ssanders224 said:

Yeah, you won't be able to recreate it by hand. 

When the slide chambers a round, I think it drags the top round in the mag forward a little sometimes.  So the bullet is closer/against the frame, and the ramp smacks it when it comes back. 

Good to know. Thanks again. 

10 hours ago, Trinimon said:

Time to switch over to round nose pills me thinks.

Still wouldn't solve the issue of the feed ramp being too long. 

Ssanders224 correctly diagnosed the issue. My other gun has a the bottom edge of the feed ramp shortened and this doesn't happen with that gun. 

Edited by B_RAD

3 hours ago, B_RAD said:

Still wouldn't solve the issue of the feed ramp being too long. 

Ssanders224 correctly diagnosed the issue. My other gun has a the bottom edge of the feed ramp shortened and this doesn't happen with that gun. 

Would fine tuning the magazine's feed lips so that the rounds are slightly upward pointing resolve this problem?

12 minutes ago, Trinimon said:

Would fine tuning the magazine's feed lips so that the rounds are slightly upward pointing resolve this problem?

I personally think all my mags are tuned properly. They seem to hold the ammo at the right angles and stack well.  I have no issues at all with feeding. Changing anything magazine related is just asking for another problem to pop up, IMO. 

I thought this was an issue that was due to OAL of the round. That's why I posted it here. Now it's pretty clear that it's related to the gun. Not sure if there's a problem so to speak, but I'm looking into it. 

Edited by B_RAD

Tuning the feed lips will make zero difference because the round is getting hit by the bottom edge of the feed ramp BEFORE the round is registered to the top of the feed lips. The "Second" round is getting hit when its still being pushed down buy the underside of the slide.

I should add that I loaded up some rounds @ 1.180" and it did it to those too. Not as bad but it was still hitting them. 

Makes sense to me that the longer the OAL is, the more impact to the round.