Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DAA Alpha-X disappointed

SyNaPsE

7 hours ago, SyNaPsE said:

Do I really deserve the condescending remarks?  I made a comment based on my expectations.   Nowhere on the Alpha-X description does it say "Buy our $225 holster but you have to fit it yourself".  Perhaps I was ignorant which is a fair statement.  Kind of like buying a $3,000 gun but needing to get another $1,000 worth of work and magazines to make it run.

Um......thats EXACTLY what you have to do when you but a 3000 dollar gun!!!   Each magazine will cost you about 100 bucks.  Then you need someone to tune each one to the gun for another 35 or so a piece.  Its understandable you or others don't realize this if that's not where you are.  Just understand thats where it goes the higher end you get.  And guess what?  That 3000 dollar gun aint gonna run out of the box either.  Its gonna need springs tuned to your ammo and other work to make it run.  Thats the nature of it all.  There isnt a single thing wrong with running Glocks and holsters from Cabelas that all fit (loosely).  When you go high end, most things require the final fit.

Listen, when you get into the high end of things, they become more and more custom to the person using them.  Most high end, high dollar gun parts need fitting to the gun by a gunsmith.  The matter at hand is actually really simple if you are at the level of spending that kind of money on a competition holster.  Glocks are plastic and their tolerances are all over the place.  We are talking about a holster that applies itself to a very small part of the gun that the company simply does not make the same on every gun.  And as even you said, you will be putting a loaded firearm in it and expecting it to safely hold it.  CZ is the same way.  I have an Alpha X with a block  for my CZ TS and another  block for my open Tanfo.  Yes, a small amount of fitting is needed for the perfect fit.  A SMALL amount.  Its super easy and completely on purpose.  And I was well aware of this from reading the website and watching Saul's videos, which I believe are even attached to the website.  It took minimal research one would expect to do for an expensive item to learn this.  Honestly, no insult intended, but the very nature of your complaint means you may not be ready for that level of equipment.  Which is fine, but don't complain so aggressively about an outstanding product because you don't understand it.

Edited by Hammer002

9 hours ago, SyNaPsE said:

Do I really deserve the condescending remarks?  I made a comment based on my expectations.   Nowhere on the Alpha-X description does it say "Buy our $225 holster but you have to fit it yourself".  Perhaps I was ignorant which is a fair statement.  Kind of like buying a $3,000 gun but needing to get another $1,000 worth of work and magazines to make it run.

It was nothing against you personally. We have never met so I would not joke with you. I get your frustration about buying something and then having to put additional work into it. Imagine how I felt when I spent $105,000 on a Jeep and had to fix little things here and there. I received a benefit from all of that though, that I learned a lot more about the Jeep. My own mechanically ability has now skyrocketed and I am learning how to enjoy working on it. 

As for your holster, I believe that you might have been a little harsh on DAA and that you could maybe have a little bit more of an open mind. To be clear, I was only laughing at the other person's comment and was not laughing at you. 

Cheers sir. 

I appreciate everyone's response/advice.  Nothing against DAA at all I know it is a great company.  I spent almost $1,000 for a full setup from them based on recommendations.  Again, I just didn't do my due diligence when purchasing the holster. 

6 hours ago, Hammer002 said:

Um......thats EXACTLY what you have to do when you but a 3000 dollar gun!!!

I know I was just joking. My dad shot USPSA for a long time and has at least $30k in limited and SS guns sitting around(hasn't competed in the last 5 years or so). 

3 hours ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

As for your holster, I believe that you might have been a little harsh on DAA and that you could maybe have a little bit more of an open mind.

You are right! 

Yeah I have one and mainly use it for my 2011 but I do have a block for the Glock frame. I had the same issue with one of my glocks but my other drops right in. I’m guessing g it’s just the slight inconsistency with the frame tolerances 

On 6/24/2018 at 7:05 AM, frgood said:

I have to agree with the OP.
DAA makes an initial clam that the fit is perfect for each gun and reminds the buyer to ensure they order the correct block for their gun. This first claim is negated by their second statement, "some minor fitting may be required".  Looking at the video, at least inside the first two minutes, a hex wrench is required. At least one tool is included. You also need to purchase a block and punch. By 3 minutes into the video we are beyond minor fitting and well into operational theory as a cautionary tale that underscores the amount of attention required to reassemble.
For the cost, they could create custom inserts for each model year range and generation. Or, at the least indicate some medium level fitting is required. To me, more than 50% disassembly indicates major work regardless of complexity.

As an example, Gugas Ribas, at least tell you up front that you will have to take some time to get the correct fit for their holster. Also, there fitting process is centered on tightening the holster and multiple points to get a fit. There is no 'removal of material' which inherently increases the possibility of a failed fitting.

To be fair in judging my assessment, I stopped watching the video at 5 minutes. I was done by then. I would concede that a lower cost and a better reference to the effort would be reasonable solutions.

I have a PT Evo insert for my Racemaster and the fit is incredibly sloppy.

I am pretty disappointed in my Alpha X also.  I got the SV insert and I am using it with my steel grip CK, and the draw is just not smooth at all; the trigger guard gets caught and it doesn't release the gun right.  

I ran into the same issue with my SV grip. There appears to be a lot of difference in manufacturing specs of different grip manufacturers. My buddy sent me a video showing how to modify the insert and now mine works perfectly.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, GringoBandito said:

I ran into the same issue with my SV grip. There appears to be a lot of difference in manufacturing specs of different grip manufacturers. My buddy sent me a video showing how to modify the insert and now mine works perfectly.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Have you got a link to said video?

I love my Alpha X keep in mind that it may be the  sloppy tolerances in the trigger guard from Glock my STI for like a glove however my PT insert is loose with my gun however tight with a buddy PT grip so that is not a DAA issue 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/8/2018 at 5:20 PM, Rader1812 said:

Ran into the same issue with the TSO. Mine fit perfectly, but when my buddy wanted to use my holster for his TSO it didn't fit.

The dimensions of the TSO trigger guard has changed a bit over the years.  The 2018 model TSOs have a larger trigger guard, than previous years.

I have a Glock that I had to do minor fitting. After watching the video, it was really easy. I didn’t have to break out the dremel or anything, just a little sandpaper  to file down the edge corresponding to the inside of the trigger guard. I know it might be a little intimidating at first, but if you go slow it will be ok. In regards to one of the previous posts talking about having modification rendering the holster unsafe - this would be modifications to other parts of the holster (the area where the lock engages for instance). As long as you are sticking to the trigger guard area, and the lock engages fine, then the holster will be completely safe (even if the gun wiggles a little). If you take a little too much off and are unhappy with the fit, you can always give them a call and can order a replacement locking block (it’s less than $20).

The other option is to make them for the large end of the tolerance on the trigger guards for each manufacturer.  Then the other 99% of us have loose fitting holsters or we are forced to buy another block designed for a smaller trigger guard and make a larger adjustment.  I suspect DAA did some market analysis and determined the better solution (which I and the other 99% agree with).  There isn’t much in this sport that is not custom.  

• 5 months later...

Just bought a Gugas Ribas holster for my STI Steel Master.  Took a while to understand all the adjustments, even with the very good video by Gugas Ribas.  But, once it's adjusted (no fitting as in carving, filing, dremmel, etc., just a bunch of screw adjustments), it holds the gun very well and releases easily.  The only disappointment is the locking lever/mechanism.  It seems like the locking mechanism is all plastic and as a result it occasionally can bind.  An aluminum mechanism, while more expensive, would function smoother in my opinion.  It's useable now so I'm hopeful that once it is broken in, the plastic parts will smooth out and improve.  Otherwise, the holster is fine, has an easy release to take it off your belt without losing any adjustments and is a significant savings vs the DAA.

On 6/24/2018 at 6:56 AM, Matt1 said:

No, you are both wrong.

Watch Sauls block fitment video for the explanation why.

The problem is variability in gun frames. The blocks are made small so they can be fit to frames of different thicknesses.

If you can’t fit a DAA block after watching the video you probably shouldn’t be handling loaded firearms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for that. This guy doesn’t even stop to think that trigger guards are not critical parts and especially with plastic guns come from many molds. 

I had had to fit my Shadow 2 Alpha X’s. It’s simple and the holsters are perfect if you take your time. 

On 7/8/2018 at 4:15 PM, chevrofreak said:

Have you got a link to said video?

I had the same problem with my PT EVO grip and ended up buying the thigh pad for it and it totally fixed the issues...i think their design didn't take into account the weight of steel grip guns and it bows the holster.  The thigh pad gives it stability.  It worked for me.

Edited by JJB05