Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DAA Alpha-X disappointed

SyNaPsE

I purchased a new DAA Alpha-X for my Glock and it's not even close to a fit.  I contacted DAA and they told me to just Dremel the insert...

For $225 I expected a perfect fit out of the box.  Am I wrong to expect that?  It's not even close to fitting, substantial material needs to be removed to make it fit.  Thoughts? Ideas?

Some manufacturers (esp polymer frames) have variances in their molds so some trigger guards might be a hair wider than some hence why you may have to fine tune the fit. 

My 1911, Shadow 2 and Tanfoglio blocks did not require fitting.

7 hours ago, SyNaPsE said:

I purchased a new DAA Alpha-X for my Glock and it's not even close to a fit.  I contacted DAA and they told me to just Dremel the insert...

For $225 I expected a perfect fit out of the box.  Am I wrong to expect that?  It's not even close to fitting, substantial material needs to be removed to make it fit.  Thoughts? Ideas?

u are absolutely right .

even u order some product  for  specific   purpose  at a cost $1 he has to fulfill his destiny . after what is the point.

mine holster that i use for glock 9mm  fit mod .19,17,34,17l  perfectly.

No, you are both wrong.

Watch Sauls block fitment video for the explanation why.

The problem is variability in gun frames. The blocks are made small so they can be fit to frames of different thicknesses.

If you can’t fit a DAA block after watching the video you probably shouldn’t be handling loaded firearms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Matt1 said:

No, you are both wrong.

Watch Sauls block fitment video for the explanation why.

The problem is variability in gun frames. The blocks are made small so they can be fit to frames of different thicknesses.

If you can’t fit a DAA block after watching the video you probably shouldn’t be handling loaded firearms.

o.k. i agree with u.?

that"s  great idea.

everybody that will order firearm from gun dealer must order milling machine and lathe as set. because i can't understand how can make perfect dimensions with  dremel.

Watch the video

I did a Shadow 2 block with a file and have modded SP01 blocks wth files & dremel to fit Czechmate’s & TS’s (before they made specific blokes for those).

24 minutes ago, Matt1 said:

Watch the video

I did a Shadow 2 block with a file and have modded SP01 blocks wth files & dremel to fit Czechmate’s & TS’s (before they made specific blokes for those).

great .but  not everybody have  skills like u.?

i thought  that holster is  finished product  and not something  like do it yourself??

I have to agree with the OP.
DAA makes an initial clam that the fit is perfect for each gun and reminds the buyer to ensure they order the correct block for their gun. This first claim is negated by their second statement, "some minor fitting may be required".  Looking at the video, at least inside the first two minutes, a hex wrench is required. At least one tool is included. You also need to purchase a block and punch. By 3 minutes into the video we are beyond minor fitting and well into operational theory as a cautionary tale that underscores the amount of attention required to reassemble.
For the cost, they could create custom inserts for each model year range and generation. Or, at the least indicate some medium level fitting is required. To me, more than 50% disassembly indicates major work regardless of complexity.

As an example, Gugas Ribas, at least tell you up front that you will have to take some time to get the correct fit for their holster. Also, there fitting process is centered on tightening the holster and multiple points to get a fit. There is no 'removal of material' which inherently increases the possibility of a failed fitting.

To be fair in judging my assessment, I stopped watching the video at 5 minutes. I was done by then. I would concede that a lower cost and a better reference to the effort would be reasonable solutions.

Thanks for the responses.  

Matt1, I understand what your saying, however, i'm no expert and we are talking about placing a loaded firearm into this.  Safety is priority #1 and I am personally not comfortable with a DIY holster. I paid for the most expensive holster available and expected a perfect fit.  Sure, Glock frames may vary slightly so maybe DAA should make more than 1 block for the different Gens.

yigal and frgood, thank you for the reassurance.  

.40 glocks are large frame and have slightly larger dimensions than 9 glocks, which is why you’re alpha X doesn’t fit your gun. Just slightly sand or file the insert down slowly until it fits. You shouldn’t have to take much off. 

Heres my experience. I have two older Shadow 2's and recently acquired a new one. I bought a DAA  Alpha X primarily for the newest gun. When I tried it it fit the older guns nearly perfectly but the new gun trigger guard was a little wider and essentially would not fit the lock slot. I watched the video and using a Dremel and mostly 1000 grit paper slowly worked the slot to a perfect fit. 

The older two guns work but rock a little bit in the holster. The one that I fit it for is rock solid. I love it. You can't blame DAA for the fact that trigger guard widths are not a critical dimension for gun manufacturers. If you want this holster to be perfect it has to be fit to your gun. There is no alternative. 

If you don't feel comfortable fitting it then don't buy one or hire someone to fit it.When you get it right you will love it.

I also had to open mine up a little and it now fits perfectly. Though two screws did strip out far too easily. Luckily the holster was in position when I tightened them. I'll have to deal with that if I wasn't too change position. That was a disappointment. 

6 hours ago, lacivilian said:

.40 glocks are large frame and have slightly larger dimensions than 9 glocks, which is why you’re alpha X doesn’t fit your gun. Just slightly sand or file the insert down slowly until it fits. You shouldn’t have to take much off. 

No, 45 is large frame. 9mm & 40 use the same frame size.

On 6/24/2018 at 2:29 AM, yigal said:

u are absolutely right .

even u order some product  for  specific   purpose  at a cost $1 he has to fulfill his destiny . after what is the point.

mine holster that i use for glock 9mm  fit mod .19,17,34,17l  perfectly.

All you do is bitch about CZ's and how the world isn't fair. Why do you even bother posting? Is it because you just like being negative? Your world is so terrible you must spread your vitriol? 

I had to do some fitting for my PT grip.

Was a bit frustrating that it didn’t work out of the box but I get why...not DAA’s fault. The fitting video is helpful. Just go slow. 

I’m still satisfied overall. DAA is a good company- always innovating. 

9 hours ago, SyNaPsE said:

No it doesn't say anything about the block to my knowledge.  but it does say 

They are slacking. On the racemaster holster page there is a note at the bottom for Glock owners. Same block, same problems. They should have put it on the alpha x page too.

http://www.doublealpha.biz/images/important_glock_notice.pdf

1 hour ago, SCTaylor said:

No, 45 is large frame. 9mm & 40 use the same frame size.

All you do is bitch about CZ's and how the world isn't fair. Why do you even bother posting? Is it because you just like being negative? Your world is so terrible you must spread your vitriol? 

sorry.? next time i will post only things that u like to read. but unfortunately i can't read  your  mind.?FORGIVE ME FOR THIS.

i will  try to be positive : to P.O.  eat the frog and don't complain in  the forum. ? try another hobby like fishing or knitting ,because u can't fix your gear.?

BETTER?

o.k.?

32 minutes ago, SCTaylor said:

Yigal - no dude, you just have a penchant for posting negative things. I don't see much helpful or positive. Stating facts.

did i posted something that  is not true?

(i personally don't disappointed  from DAA  because i don't  have  it)

Edited by yigal

On 6/24/2018 at 3:56 AM, Matt1 said:

No, you are both wrong.

That made me laugh. Thank you. 

I agree, in that some adjustments to the holster may be in line and by no means are the fault of DAA. Blame Glock. As for not feeling comfortable with this, how could the OP even get past basic reloading procedures, which is a whole ball of grey to me. 

To each their own I guess. 

4 hours ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

That made me laugh. Thank you. 

I agree, in that some adjustments to the holster may be in line and by no means are the fault of DAA. Blame Glock. As for not feeling comfortable with this, how could the OP even get past basic reloading procedures, which is a whole ball of grey to me. 

To each their own I guess. 

Do I really deserve the condescending remarks?  I made a comment based on my expectations.   Nowhere on the Alpha-X description does it say "Buy our $225 holster but you have to fit it yourself".  Perhaps I was ignorant which is a fair statement.  Kind of like buying a $3,000 gun but needing to get another $1,000 worth of work and magazines to make it run.