Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unica Heavy hammer Pair with Bolo

Apolo

Recently installed a Bolo paired with the new Unica hammer in my Gold Team. This combo totally rocks. It did take some fitting but we'll worth it. Both Items can be found @PatriotDefense.  Right now the trigger sits at a cool 1.4lbs with absolute zero take up and minimal over travel. 

There is some differences I found from the stock Delta hammer. My unica Hammer I chose is the "Heavy" DA hammer. Went this route so a Bolo could be installed. The hooks are about 1/2 the width and material has been removed from bottom side of hammer. Reasons I don't know but I could guess to reduce friction and because on the rearward swing it may not clear frame. Tanfo really went all out with the hammer index. The hammer is at nearly total capable index when locked back by sear. If the hooks were set any further the hammer would lock on sear from inertia. I have not set hammer on scaLe to compare weight but if I had to guess it's definitely heavier. So far I see some major pluses with this. This Unica paired with bolo, PD optimised FP spring, PD heavy extended FP, and a hammer spring of your choosing is a real primer whacker. I only currently have WSP primers so further testing is in order.

While this combo was ALMOST drop in there was small fitting that needed to take place.

The Bolo was a couple thousandths too wide. I had to basically just polish it to fit in hammer.

The bottom corners of hammer due to index, had to be slightly rounded to allow swing.

I had to remove just a touch of material from bolo per PD instructions to allow hammer to drop and not catch

My GT machining from Tanfo is a little rough so I NEEDED to use the supplied Unica (shorted) hammer spring strut, and polish my spring hole quite a bit. The hammer index causes the coils to bind hard and catch on a lip inside hole. This did not allow free hammer swing and hammer would not return fully rearward. The factory GT strut was too long and made it worse. Once polished up the Unica strut works great.

As always YMMV! Take it slow and only do what you feel is appropriate.

Additional info : I do not have experience with the Titan hammer so as far as comparison I cannot say as of this time.

Just thought I'd share 

2018-06-22 10.53.12.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried the 15.5lb PD hammer spring?

I cannot get the hammer to swing back far enough, with just that spring. And I have aggressively polished the hammer spring hole. Any more aggressive and I would end up opening up the hole more, and I don’t want that.

The oem Stock 2 hammer spring works, as well as the 14lb PD spring.

The oem spring is shorter, while the 14lb PD spring is the exact same length is the 15.5lb PD spring.

Additionally, with my Stock 2, I do have some take up with the Unica DA and Bolo (unknown Gen Bolo, but did require some fitting, as outlined by the PD instructions. Also it looks like I have a gen 1 trigger bar in my 2018 manufactured Stock 2). Less take up than with the original parts, but perhaps not as little to none as videos I see of the Titan and Bolo.

You may need to trim a coil off. Tanfo seems like they shortened the spring pocket in the frame.

Or the UNICA changes the angle so much the strut binds.  you could try reducing the diameter and polish the strut up.

I'm going to try out the PD 14lb for the time being. If I get light strikes because the spring is too light, I'll look into trimming the 15.5lb spring.

I did polish the strut, but haven't gone so far as to reducing the diameter yet.

And I do believe that the angle change is pretty significant. The short Unica strut sort of "floats" in the hole like the Bolo does, just to a lesser degree. Not as minimal as the stock hammer and strut, but not as much as the Bolo.

Also, I did not have to fit the safety, but I did have to fit an extended FP block.

Edited by motherFNbrandon

The angle is indeed different. I had to go with the Stock hammer spring. I kept my trigger right at 2lbs. I am very happy. The 14lb spring was too light at 1.4lbs. What I actually found what was happening is the angle was causing the longer PD springs to actually grab against top of frame strut hole. Not allowing full swing. It did not do this with the skinnier 14lb spring and shorter stock spring. There is a "ledge" inside the frame strut hole that it catches on. If you force the hammer back any way you can see the spring will deform. I had to not just polish, but remove this ledge. Once done, I also had to soften the strut edges and top that holds spring a good bit to prevent binding.

Also adding the extreme sear was a large improvement. It gave back a stronger reset and my factory sear was noticeably worn. Turns out there is a use for those part's ?

2 hours ago, Apolo said:

Also adding the extreme sear was a large improvement. It gave back a stronger reset and my factory sear was noticeably worn. Turns out there is a use for those part's ?

Tanfo needs to go to full hard sear and hammer not just surface hardened.