Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking to get a bolt gun and try PRS. Any thoughts on the Seekins Havak?

ClangClang

So I've got an itch to try something new and get a bolt gun. I live about 1.5 hours from Peacemaker WV which has a range out to 1200 yds and is open to the public once a month, and also hosts multiple PRS matches throughout the year.  I have a budget of around $1300 for the gun alone. I have a separate budget for optics, an "intro to long range" class, and all the various accessories required for PRS.  I'm 99% sure I'll be getting something in 6.5CM.  I don't reload yet and will be shooting factory ammo to start.

As far as rifle options, my initial inclination is to go with the Seekins Precision Havak Pro HP1.  I picked up one of their 50% coupons off a prize table, so it would only cost me $1000 shipped (instead of $2000), which strikes me as an incredible deal. It also leaves me some extra money to put into an optic.  Is there any reason NOT to go with the Havak? Or is there another rifle that will rival/equal the Havak at the $1000 to $1300 mark?

while this forum is excellent for uspsa and 3 gun etc, might want to check out snipershide.com for PRS-type stuff.  haven't heard anything bad about the havoc.  folks also like tikka's in that price range.  the 6.5 creed is a great round, especially for folks like me that don't reload.  also check out the 6.5prc.  newer and not as much factory ammo variety, but also a primarily hornady round, they make in 147 with 2-300fps faster than the 6.5 creed, but $10/box more.

I've never had the opertunity to handle one but the barrel and action sound good.  I don't like that magpul stock though.  

Take a look at the Tikka T3x TAC A1.  A friend has one and it's a sweet shooter.

If you can get the Savage PRO HP1 6.5CM for $1k, I would say go for it. The Magpul hunter stock will be fine until you get tired of it then you should be able to sell it outright and get yourself a modern chassis system.

My experience with the Havak is not good if you like easy cycling and reliable ignition.  I bought the Havak in action form and put it in a MPA competition chassis.  First problem to arise was the mags would not seat due to the design of the bolt.  I had to cut .060" off the mag catch to seat the magazine lower. 

Problem 2--running the action fast is not smooth and very notchy when closing like the extractor was hitting something unless the bolt angle was perfect.  The bolt cut on the left side of the bolt body for the bolt stop/guide was not deburred AT ALL so it was a knife edge cutting a groove in the bolt stop on the top and bottom. Trying to run the action fast results in the bolt stopping usually at the rearward start postion.  Was told it might be clearance issues bolt body to action but have not checked it.

Problem 3--this rifle was chambered in 6x47lapua and at the range feeding from magazine about 1 in 3 rounds would come out of the mag and hit the back of the barrel and stop.  I figured this was due to the short cartridge so it was rechambered in 6mm Creed.  It was better but I found out some mags have shorter feed lips than the original AICS mags so I can only use original AICS mags.

Problem 4--ignition-- using cci450 primers in both calibers I had misfires(no pew pew).  I measured the FP protrusion @ .040" and was told it should be .050-.060"  I checked my rem700 and sure nuff it was .058".   

I like Seekins and this rifle shoots awesome groups but it is not suited for PRS type stuff.  Better suited to hunting I think.  It may be I received a non-spec action but I've not looked at any others at Cabela's or seen anyone else using one.  

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

I would only consider it if you only plan to shoot production PRS. 

But like others have said once you get it then you will want to get out of the Magpul stock. Once you buy another $800 plus chassis you should have just bought a custom gun to start with. IMO

For your price range check out the Ruger Precision Rifle. I picked up a used one for well under your budget and put the rest into the optic. I wanted to get into a chassis rifle and the RPR was the most logical way to do it. So far I am very happy with it and plan to start PRS matches when the weather cools down. 

For your price range check out the Ruger Precision Rifle. I picked up a used one for well under your budget and put the rest into the optic. I wanted to get into a chassis rifle and the RPR was the most logical way to do it. So far I am very happy with it and plan to start PRS matches when the weather cools down. 

If you are starting out go with this recommendation. If you want to be really competitive, get one in 6mm creedmoor and not the 6.5. You can get ammo in the 6mm as you can in the 6.5mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 6/23/2018 at 11:08 AM, ClangClang said:

So I've got an itch to try something new and get a bolt gun. I live about 1.5 hours from Peacemaker WV which has a range out to 1200 yds and is open to the public once a month, and also hosts multiple PRS matches throughout the year.  I have a budget of around $1300 for the gun alone. I have a separate budget for optics, an "intro to long range" class, and all the various accessories required for PRS.  I'm 99% sure I'll be getting something in 6.5CM.  I don't reload yet and will be shooting factory ammo to start.

As far as rifle options, my initial inclination is to go with the Seekins Precision Havak Pro HP1.  I picked up one of their 50% coupons off a prize table, so it would only cost me $1000 shipped (instead of $2000), which strikes me as an incredible deal. It also leaves me some extra money to put into an optic.  Is there any reason NOT to go with the Havak? Or is there another rifle that will rival/equal the Havak at the $1000 to $1300 mark?

19 hours ago, NateTSU said:

18 hours ago, Stuey said:

If you are starting out go with this recommendation. If you want to be really competitive, get one in 6mm creedmoor and not the 6.5. You can get ammo in the 6mm as you can in the 6.5mm.

I agree with NateTSU!  Do NOT agree with Stuey, you can get 6.5 ammo in droves now with no wait or little wait and anyone getting into PRS should be reloading anyway, buy projectiles, and brass and those are now in stock at any of the major re-sellers.  I am buying Peterson brass from Graf & Sons, projectiles from Midsouth (had great deals on 250 packs of projectiles) 

I love my RPR (Ruger), just did my first PRS skills builder match yesterday and got 9th overall out of 30, the RPR is dead nuts accurate, there were two other shooters with RPRs.  

Sorry, just re-read your post, did not see you had a 50% off coupon.  In that case you cannot go wrong with the Seekins and you will get your money back long term.  

Good luck!