Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm & 40 S&W minor & major or both

kmaultsby

Hello, all I am shooting my first USPSA match tomorrow shooting my Springfield XD9 Tactical in production.  I have question best economical solution for reloading.  Let give some background. I have been shooting IDPA on and off for the past few years. My division Sharp Shoot in SSP and marksmen in ESP.  I also own an XD-40 tactical and an XDM 5.25 which I am going to use for Limited.  I have been using my  XDM in SSP loading 40 minor and my XD 40 in ESP.  My XD 40 has a magwell legal for ESP and I could use it in limited 10.  Anyway, I was wondering because I going to start shooting USPSA would be smarter to just reload 40 minor and major or should I just keep reloading 9mm and 40 separately? I was thinking of changing from 40 minor from 180gr to 155gr bullet. I would love to hear from others good or bad.

Hello, all I am shooting my first USPSA match tomorrow shooting my Springfield XD9 Tactical in production.  I have question best economical solution for reloading.  Let give some background. I have been shooting IDPA on and off for the past few years. My division Sharp Shoot in SSP and marksmen in ESP.  I also own an XD-40 tactical and an XDM 5.25 which I am going to use for Limited.  I have been using my  XDM in SSP loading 40 minor and my XD 40 in ESP.  My XD 40 has a magwell legal for ESP and I could use it in limited 10.  Anyway, I was wondering because I going to start shooting USPSA would be smarter to just reload 40 minor and major or should I just keep reloading 9mm and 40 separately? I was thinking of changing from 40 minor from 180gr to 155gr bullet. I would love to hear from others good or bad.

Certain some are using light bullets. Most will use 180 or 200 gr .40 bullets with a fast powder like Titegroup or N310/N320. Softer shooting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I were shooting a .40 Minor for IDPA for the past few years, and decided to "try out" USPSA,

I'd continue shooting .40 Minor for a while and see if you like USPSA.

I don't believe in making changes in what I'm doing when I experiment with new things, like

shooting USPSA.

I'd stick with what I have been doing, or you're changing more variables then you need to.

Try USPSA with the .40 Minor, and see where your heart leads ...

Some people can shoot BOTH IDPA and USPSA - I'm not one of them - I had to choose, and

I chose USPSA.

Economically, in the short term, you're much better off shooting .40 Minor.   In the long term,

you're better off switching to 9mm.   That's what I've done - when I shot USPSA Limited, I

stuck with 9mm Minor, and also shot OPEN with 9mm Major.   Easier, and more economical.

If you are really interested in winning, and willing to pay the small price, you would definitely

want to shoot .40 Major or 9mm Major in USPSA.

You have to choose between economics and results    :) 

7 hours ago, kmaultsby said:

my XD 40 in ESP.

My very last straw with IDPA was when they changed the CCP rules & made my 4" 40 XD illegal by 1/8", apparently Bill Wilson gets more money from Glock. That gun is a tack driver and 40 minor is a blast but now it is a safe queen.  

Anyway, for you. If you are going to keep shooting IDPA there is something to be said for USPSA production division (still 10 rounds) & 40 minor is a valid option, at about 140 power factor it is very controllable and it keeps you from being the 9mm minor shooter that got screwed when the popper didn't fall on the first hit. Never tried anything less than 180 grain & fast powder (bayou plated & Clays for me) simply because it worked very well. I will leave it to you to figure out the relative costs of 9 vs 40 and whether or not it is worth it to you.

Side note; I hope it never happens but there is talk about changing production to 15 rounds (apparently that is what they do in France or some damn thing) if that ever happens your 12 round 40 mags would be useless and I'm not sure you could find a 15 round option.

3 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

WOW    :surprise:

THAT might get me into Production.    :)

I never saw the advantage of a 10-shot gun.    :cheers:

That seems to be the IPSC thing, in order to allow for freedom of choice and increase participation in the sport, force all hand gun divisions to be pretty much exactly the same. 

12 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

WOW    :surprise:

THAT might get me into Production.    :)

I never saw the advantage of a 10-shot gun.    :cheers:

I live in California 10-shot is normal and Hawaii is the same. 

Well completed my first USPSA match using my XD9, I suck.? I don't understand the scoring but this %19.01 points 131.4789 times 294.26 possible % 18.13  A- 86 B- 0 C-29 D-12 M-18 NPM-0 NS-0.  My main problem was the plates we were shooting between fifteen and twenty-five yards on average missing high I think, anyway I know what to practice on.

Edited by kmaultsby

My very last straw with IDPA was when they changed the CCP rules & made my 4" 40 XD illegal by 1/8", apparently Bill Wilson gets more money from Glock. That gun is a tack driver and 40 minor is a blast but now it is a safe queen.  

Anyway, for you. If you are going to keep shooting IDPA there is something to be said for USPSA production division (still 10 rounds) & 40 minor is a valid option, at about 140 power factor it is very controllable and it keeps you from being the 9mm minor shooter that got screwed when the popper didn't fall on the first hit. Never tried anything less than 180 grain & fast powder (bayou plated & Clays for me) simply because it worked very well. I will leave it to you to figure out the relative costs of 9 vs 40 and whether or not it is worth it to you.

Side note; I hope it never happens but there is talk about changing production to 15 rounds (apparently that is what they do in France or some damn thing) if that ever happens your 12 round 40 mags would be useless and I'm not sure you could find a 15 round option.

IPSC Product has been 15 rnds for years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First decide what division you want to shoot. If Limited (because you like your magwell ) then you want to shoot major.

If you want to shoot Production you can go 9 or 40 minor, pick based on what gun you like best. I made GM shooting 40 minor.