Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
forkliftHIFI

Hammer up start allowed? Shooting a DA/SA in limited question

Recommended Posts

I've been shooting limited with an SAO handgun but have a DA/SA with decocker on the way.  If I wanted to shoot the new gun in limited until I assemble a rig/magazines for production can I start hammer up even though it doesn't have a manual safety?  

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Gary Stevens said:

No.

^^^Plus 100.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't want to stick a cocked gun into a holster if there was no safety    :surprise:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I wouldn't want to stick a cocked gun into a holster if there was no safety    :surprise:

And you would think I was Satan himself for DQing two shooters last weekend who holstered 2011’s with safeties off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sarge said:

you would think I was Satan for DQing two shooters who holstered 2011’s with safeties off. 

 

Their wives should buy you a beer, at the very least       :eatdrink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

 

Their wives should buy you a beer, at the very least       :eatdrink:

You would think! But all I got was a bunch of lip from one and a heap of excuses from the other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LuvDog said:

What would they even say for excuses?

At the risk of thread drift, one shooter said I was unsafe because I let him holster off safe. Said I should have warned him. The other shooter got confused dicking around with Barney mag and asked me if he could holster after he racked one in the chamber. I said , “you are at make ready and you can legally holster anytime you want.” When I DQed him he said that I said it was OK to holster. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sarge said:

At the risk of thread drift, one shooter said I was unsafe because I let him holster off safe. Said I should have warned him. The other shooter got confused dicking around with Barney mag and asked me if he could holster after he racked one in the chamber. I said , “you are at make ready and you can legally holster anytime you want.” When I DQed him he said that I said it was OK to holster. ?

 

Haha, so basically they were blaming you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LuvDog said:

 

Haha, so basically they were blaming you.

Yep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Things have gotten a little weird now that striker guns can have uber low weight trigger kits.

 

Rules are rules, but I could see somebody wondering and head scratching. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a posting, here at BE, a few months ago about what sounded like

a very experienced shooter who shot himself in the leg during a rapid draw, with

a plastic gun that had a Very Light trigger. 

 

No safety on the gun    :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Sarge said:

And you would think I was Satan himself for DQing two shooters last weekend who holstered 2011’s with safeties off. 

 

Good call.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've also had to DQ a guy for this.

But when i got tapped in he'd be doing it for several stages and the other guy didn't notice/know/care whatever.

Getting yelled at was super fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/23/2018 at 5:05 PM, IHAVEGAS said:

Things have gotten a little weird now that striker guns can have uber low weight trigger kits.

 

Rules are rules, but I could see somebody wondering and head scratching. 

Sorry I see now it was a dumb question but being a casual and relatively new participant to sanctioned matches this was exactly the reason I was asking this question.  No one bats and eye at people using a striker gun with no thumb safety and a 2 lb trigger.  

 

Thanks for setting me strait guys

 

Edited by forkliftHIFI

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/23/2018 at 5:20 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

There was a posting, here at BE, a few months ago about what sounded like

a very experienced shooter who shot himself in the leg during a rapid draw, with

a plastic gun that had a Very Light trigger. 

 

No safety on the gun    :(

 

Jack - you know better than that. All polymer framed guns have some form of safety on the trigger. Thumb safety, not all of them... SOME form of safety, yes.

Edited by SCTaylor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lol @ striker fired guns' 'safety'. That's why they call it Glock leg and not 2011 leg.

 

On a side not, I wonder how sarge/satan managed to talk 2 different people into holstering with the safety off. I've RO'd tens of thousands of shooters and never seen it once (I did see it once when I wasn't the RO, when shooter forgot to put the safety on between strings).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

lol @ striker fired guns' 'safety'. That's why they call it Glock leg and not 2011 leg.

 

On a side not, I wonder how sarge/satan managed to talk 2 different people into holstering with the safety off. I've RO'd tens of thousands of shooters and never seen it once (I did see it once when I wasn't the RO, when shooter forgot to put the safety on between strings).

 

I saw it twice with one guy on the same day (long story, I wasn't the RO) and a few times before that. 

 

Each time it was a Sig 226 guy that decide he wanted to shoot Limited to avoid the DA first shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had a local shooter who was starting to develop some seriously good skills and scores in a relatively short time. He decided to make the leap from his Glock to a 1911. As he came to the line with it for the first time I said I hoped he'd done a lot of dry-fire practice with it, being as the Manual of Arms was so different. He said it wouldn't be a problem.

 

At the end of loading he holstered the gun. I asked him to raise his arm, and I slowly reached down and applied the safety. That one click was very loud. And ended his day.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't do that. DQ the guy and ask him to unload, but don't touch their gun. If the guy shoots his own foot off, fine, but if I rock his gun in the holster and cause it, that's a much bigger problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SCTaylor said:

 

Jack - you know better than that. All polymer framed guns have some form of safety on the trigger. Thumb safety, not all of them... SOME form of safety, yes.

 

A Glock 2lb trigger is a 2lb trigger.

I checked the math :) .

 

2 hours ago, motosapiens said:

 

On a side not, I wonder how sarge/satan managed to talk 2 different people into holstering with the safety off. I've RO'd tens of thousands of shooters and never seen it once (I did see it once when I wasn't the RO, when shooter forgot to put the safety on between strings).

 

I've seen it twice, once when a guy shot an IDPA classifier with a gun different than what he was used to. Yesterday when a guy on my squad shot the first round of a steel challenge with a Glock & the second with a 1911.

 

I dq'd the IDPA guy, RM did not want to dq the guy yesterday and I did not want to fight about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, waktasz said:

Don't do that. DQ the guy and ask him to unload, but don't touch their gun.

 

+1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...