Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hammer up start allowed? Shooting a DA/SA in limited question

forkliftHIFI

40 minutes ago, ima45dv8 said:

We had a local shooter who was starting to develop some seriously good skills and scores in a relatively short time. He decided to make the leap from his Glock to a 1911. As he came to the line with it for the first time I said I hoped he'd done a lot of dry-fire practice with it, being as the Manual of Arms was so different. He said it wouldn't be a problem.

At the end of loading he holstered the gun. I asked him to raise his arm, and I slowly reached down and applied the safety. That one click was very loud. And ended his day.

30 minutes ago, waktasz said:

Don't do that. DQ the guy and ask him to unload, but don't touch their gun. If the guy shoots his own foot off, fine, but if I rock his gun in the holster and cause it, that's a much bigger problem. 

27 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

+1

+1000. Gee wiz Batman, that’s worse than the guy holstering without the safety, at least from a what bad things could happen perspective.  Becoming part of a problem is not being an RO.  Not to mention the liability you put yourself in.

2 hours ago, SCTaylor said:

@IHAVEGAS  no arguing that. But saying they have NO safety is disingenuous.

while glocks say they have some sort of safety, let's face it, if your finger gets in the trigger guard, or your clothing, or an elastic draw string, the so-called safety ain't going to stop the bang.  i have a bunch of glocks and love them, but keeping my finger and anything else out of the trigger guard is the only safety i count on.

same deal with the 1911/2011.  when you're handling the gun (holstering or drawing), your grip has (or should have) the beavertail grip safety disengaged.  with the thumb safety not engaged, you have the exact same risks as with glocks etc.

• 1 month later...

To close the loop on the initial question (I was searching for something simliar):

A DQ is issued if...

10.5.11 Holstering a loaded handgun, in any of the following conditions:

• 10.5.11.1 - A single action self-loading pistol with the safety not applied.
  • 10.5.11.2 - A double action or selective action pistol with the hammer cocked and the safety not applied.

Technically you wouldn't have a safety but you'd still be holstering the gun in an unsafe condition covered under either of the above.

Edited by matteekay