Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Logan lathe Model 1922

lizl

Hi guys, I understand that a Logan Lathe Model 1922 is a desirable lathe for gunsmithing.  That said, what would be a fair price for a Logan model 1922 with 3-jaw and 4 jaw chucks as well as a full set of attachments in excellent condition?  I have a very interested buyer but neither of us knows what a fair price would be.  Many thanks for any help!

Also depends a lot on where in country you are.  Also one thing to consider is how much available space you have for it. The smaller “hobby” sized lathes and mills can actually command a premium over the larger more capable machines just due to the fewer people that want one for a home shop.

I have an 825 that I think I paid $650 for and tore it completely down and rebuilt it for perspective.

Broken gears and and parts are findable on eBay as well as from Logan but they’re expensive from Logan.

• 2 months later...

Seems that one would want a full sized lathe and mill and you almost need an out building for space and to keep the smells out of the house. I thought I understood how to be a gunsmith until I met a real gunsmith.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

5 hours ago, alsipd said:

Seems that one would want a full sized lathe and mill and you almost need an out building for space and to keep the smells out of the house. I thought I understood how to be a gunsmith until I met a real gunsmith.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Your entire post is irrelavent to what he was asking when posing the question of the value of a small hobby size Logan lathe.

I’m also curious how you ever thought you had a clue what a “gunsmith” was if you now somehow believe that it’s their tools or big machines that somehow converts them into a “real” gunsmith.

It’s seemingly obvious that you think a gunsmith is purely a machinist and I think you’d be surprised to learn how little time in the average day they spend near a mill or lathe.  

I think you’d also be surprised at how little time a “real” gunsmith achially ispends that a bigger machine somehow makes them better at h.  I’d however argue that any “real” gunsmith doesn’t n need a full size mill, lathe, or other machine to turn 

Your entire post is irrelavent to what he was asking when posing the question of the value of a small hobby size Logan lathe.

I’m also curious how you ever thought you had a clue what a “gunsmith” was if you now somehow believe that it’s their tools or big machines that somehow converts them into a “real” gunsmith.

It’s seemingly obvious that you think a gunsmith is purely a machinist and I think you’d be surprised to learn how little time in the average day they spend near a mill or lathe.  

I think you’d also be surprised at how little time a “real” gunsmith achially ispends that a bigger machine somehow makes them better at h.  I’d however argue that any “real” gunsmith doesn’t n need a full size mill, lathe, or other machine to turn 

Sorry I got you all worked up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Na, not really worked up and I’m not sure what happened to the rest of it.

anyway, my point was, that the machinery doesn’t make the gunsmith, a quality machinist and  gunsmith could/should be able to do nearly all work with hand tools and be able to produce the same or better level of quality as they can with machinery.

machinery is what allows a pro gunsmith to save time and actually try to be profitable.  Time saved vs money spent as well as what the persons primary focus type of work are all drivers for what size equipment they own.

just saying you could be an incredible  gunsmith with hand tools only if you didn’t have to make money at it