Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

308 Projectiles for out to 300yds

Solvability

When you say “308” do you mean .308” projectiles in general or specifically for .308win, or maybe .300blk?   300 yards isn’t especially far for .308win but it would stretch the legs on a blackout.  For .308win I shoot 175gr SMK, which is expensive but It’s a bolt action, and I’ll only fire 20-ish in a sitting.  

Nosler Custom Competition 155gr is the best "bang for the buck" at around 23.5 cents a piece.  I tried some 110 gr carbine bullets, but they kept coming apart before they got to the target. ?

110gr and 125gr rifle bullets shoot well and recoil lightly, but they typically cost more than the Noslers.  Sierra 175gr SMK falls in that category too.

You can get Hornady 150gr for a little less than the Nosler, but it's not enough for me to take the loss in accuracy.

The other thing I take into consideration is if they are boat tail or not, as this makes it easier for reloading since you don't have to bell and crimp-- just press the BT in the sized mouth and the tail takes care of the rest.  Sierra makes a 135gr SMK that's boat tail which I'd like to take for a spin, and I think the Hornady 130gr is boattail?  I'll pay a few cents extra to save those two steps at the bench.

Is it just for plinking?

I load the Hornaday 150gr SST.  It's the bullet I use for hunting.  I took the kids out to practice and I shot 9 rounds at 200 yards.  It was enough for me to ensure zero and to stay ready for hunting season.