Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio for open?

ATLDave

I've been shooting a Tanfo' LTD in Limited division for several years.  I have a lot of muscle memory/indexing built up on this "platform."  I feel like I know reasonably well how the internals work, how to fix them/keep them running.  

I'm toying with getting an open gun.  I have no intention of becoming a full-time open shooter.  I'd like to maintain the ability to go back and forth between the open gun and my limited gun.  

Obviously, the CW is to get a 2011-based open gun.  (But the CW was also to get a 2011-based limited gun... you see how much regard I gave that!).  

So I'm here for the crowdsourced wisdom: is Tanfo' stupid for open?  Are Gold Teams feasible?  Possible to keep them running?  Are there readily-available options for changing out the barrel if the popple holes are making it difficult to make PF?  

Educate this ignorant, iron-sighted peasant, please!

Edited by ATLDave

I have no experience with the gold team.

I use two limiteds which were converted to open by canyon creek. Both in 9mm major

One has the tanfoglio 3 port comp with thin barrel and other one has a 4 port canyon creek comp and heavy cone barrel. the gun with the 4 port comp is noticeably flatter. Both have 3 popple holes cut in same locations. Both make major very easily. I use lightened slides on both and run light recoil springs and both have been reliable except for ammo issues that were my fault figuring out OAL and such.

I made M in 3 months swapping between both of them which is where I’m at in production so don’t feel like the guns are holding me back or anything.

Recently shot the spartan 300 with the backup gun and took first open. I only get 28rds in a big stick. Aside from that I don’t see a disadvantage especially if you want to keep shooting what you are familiar with.

a58e988d06d6b5939d5972ba07aa8e78.heic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A better comp option is on the way.... with that being said I make Major with Power Pistol and AA7 with the V12 configuration. I went to PP after a friend did some experimental loadings for me. Turns out PP makes major easier, and is just as flat, cleaner, produces good gas, and is cheaper. AA7 was so dirty it induced malfunctions. Other than needing to be more OCD about my loads the gun runs. Any mishaps I've had could be lead back to my ammo. So far I really like my open gun. Still trying to find a 170 mag option though. The K38 are hard to get, MBX offerings are iffy. I've been just running 140 mags. Sucks. But I've been told repeatedly by a company 170 pads are in the works also. 

2018-06-22 10.53.12.jpg

2 hours ago, ATLDave said:

How do you like it in the open configuration?  Have you had difficulty loading to major PF?  Challenges getting it to run right?  

i use it for 9 mm  factory ammo minor only. reloading is illegal in my country.

1 hour ago, kneelingatlas said:

I'll have a compensated barrel/comp you can drop into a Limited within a few months

Interesting!!!  Define "drop into"?  Using the original slide?  Any sense of the likely price point (not going to hold you to it)? 

I assume that it will not then be compatible with a Gold Team upper?  

On 6/22/2018 at 10:53 AM, Apolo said:

A better comp option is on the way.... with that being said I make Major with Power Pistol and AA7 with the V12 configuration. I went to PP after a friend did some experimental loadings for me. Turns out PP makes major easier, and is just as flat, cleaner, produces good gas, and is cheaper. AA7 was so dirty it induced malfunctions. Other than needing to be more OCD about my loads the gun runs. Any mishaps I've had could be lead back to my ammo. So far I really like my open gun. Still trying to find a 170 mag option though. The K38 are hard to get, MBX offerings are iffy. I've been just running 140 mags. Sucks. But I've been told repeatedly by a company 170 pads are in the works also. 

2018-06-22 10.53.12.jpg

I like that checkering on your Magwell.  You do that yourself?

I have zero experience with tanfo open guns but I was looking at getting one before I placed a order for an Atlas. I won’t name who specifically but a very well known top shooter that was sponsored by Tanfoglio and shot open and still shoots open recommended I buy a 2011 and not the Tanfoglio. Quick reminder here... he was still sponsored by tanfo at the time and strongly urged me to shy away from getting a Tanfo for Open. That says a lot when someone getting paid by a company and is still competing at a national and world level tells you to spend more money and buy an Atlas when he doesn’t even have one. 

I have zero experience with tanfo open guns but I was looking at getting one before I placed a order for an Atlas. I won’t name who specifically but a very well known top shooter that was sponsored by Tanfoglio and shot open and still shoots open recommended I buy a 2011 and not the Tanfoglio. Quick reminder here... he was still sponsored by tanfo at the time and strongly urged me to shy away from getting a Tanfo for Open. That says a lot when someone getting paid by a company and is still competing at a national and world level tells you to spend more money and buy an Atlas when he doesn’t even have one. 

That’s not exactly an apples to apples comparison though. Buying a factory open Tanfo vs a custom build 2011.

If this un-named “top shooter” was telling you to not buy the factory Tanfo and instead to get a factory STI open gun that would be an equal statement.

I have one gun with a factory Tanfo comp and no, I don’t find it up to par against STI based open guns I’ve shot. (All of which had more effective comps). However my custom built Tanfo with a large canyon creek comp runs flatter than the several custom and factory 2011’s I’ve used. Personally I don’t find it a detriment In any way against a 2011. But all that being said I don’t think it matters. Buy what you like and tune it to run optimally for you. After that only the training matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know who your talking about told me same thing, went with gold team anyways and it’s git it’s goods and bads.

She’s flatter than an sti , but finaky! Takes some work to get her to run .  I chose this route because my limited and production guns were like sewing machines. Plus the platform is so easy to work on when needed. 

That being said, and I love my tangfos but with any open gun be prepared to have ups and downs, it’s like a rite of passage , almost like they have a soul and test your last nerve lol

If I could take back my tang open purchase would I ?  Never. It’s a beautiful gun and when she runs it’s a sight to see! Just be ready to do work 

Mags are the main issue in the Tanfos.  When I had my Gold Team it ran great with 140s.  Never could get a 170 that was 100%.  Shooting indoors with the V12 barrel is unbelievablely loud.

I would buy it again if the mag issue got better.  I'm running CZs in open now and couldn't be happier.

I second this brooks, but I may have found cure for MBX and eaa 170s 

Grams TS follower and 13 coil spring MBX base pad on eaa170mm, trim lips to match 140 mm 

mbx 13 coil with TS follower 

im 500 plus deep into both right now 0 malfunctions.  

17 hours ago, Mlussoro said:

I second this brooks, but I may have found cure for MBX and eaa 170s 

Grams TS follower and 13 coil spring MBX base pad on eaa170mm, trim lips to match 140 mm 

mbx 13 coil with TS follower 

im 500 plus deep into both right now 0 malfunctions.  

Going to have to dig out a TS follower and try that.

Just had this done and its beautiful. Testing to come. 2 K9 mags. With plastic stock base pad it's 170. With the metal pad shown it's over just a tad, but I'm gonna practice with the metal pad to avoid damage.

2018-07-02 18.32.12.jpg