Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide goes forward on reload; M&P Pro9

gittist

On 8/23/2019 at 5:07 PM, robertg5322 said:

It's not saving  you any time if you have to whack the mag after it's inserted.

Anything that you are doing beyond trying to make the reload smoothly is a waste of time and consistency for me.

Other thing, if the slide goes forward on its own that looks cool but it does not cut down on my shot to shot time, it does not matter when the slide closes as long as it is closed before you are ready to aim. 

Yeah that's my point. 

As a left handed shooter, having the slide auto forward is a huge time saver over contorting my trigger finger to try and reach the slide stop, or racking the slide to release it. I wish every gun was designed to do it, and can't understand why every gun isn't designed to do it.

25 minutes ago, robertg5322 said:

Yeah that's my point. 

As a left handed shooter, having the slide auto forward is a huge time saver over contorting my trigger finger to try and reach the slide stop, or racking the slide to release it. I wish every gun was designed to do it, and can't understand why every gun isn't designed to do it.

As a fellow lefty, could not agree more. Maybe there is no benefit for right handers, but there certainly is for us. Certainly noticing that to my detriment now with a Shadow, unfortunately.

Edited by zhuk

4 hours ago, robertg5322 said:

Yeah that's my point. 

Ummm... The M&P slide lock is ambidextrous. No contorting of the trigger finger is necessary unless your a proctologist.

2 hours ago, mpeltier said:

Ummm... The M&P slide lock is ambidextrous. No contorting of the trigger finger is necessary unless your a proctologist.

Ummm yeah,  but as one who has shot longer than guns with left handed slide stops have been widely available, and considering the fact that not all guns have ambi slide stops, I'm not crazy about creating muscle memory that may not serve me on another gun (1911, Glock). 

Auto forward requires me to do nothing but insert a mag. It's the ultimate upgrade to any gun, and benefits right handed shooters as much as left handed shooters.

Like mag catches. Almost all guns have some option for switching it, but it's easier to continue using my strong hand middle finger than train my thumb and have issues when I use a gun that isn't reversible.

10 hours ago, robertg5322 said:

Auto forward requires me to do nothing but insert a mag. It's the ultimate upgrade to any gun, and benefits right handed shooters as much as left handed shooters.

Getting the smooth reload is the time saver for me, hitting the release as my left hand is establishing a grip costs nothing on the timer shot to shot. It is a really easy thing to measure. 

On 6/22/2018 at 8:20 AM, gittist said:

M&P Pro 9:  When reloading, the slide will often go forward on the reload, but not always. I like that when shooting in a competition. As near as I can tell it's not always the same magazine.  I'd like it to do that every time. Any suggestions? 

I have a .40 PRO that will do this most of the time.   I would expect it to drop the slide and the slide would not drop.  I stopped relying on this and just use the slide stop/release.  

9 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Getting the smooth reload is the time saver for me, hitting the release as my left hand is establishing a grip costs nothing on the timer shot to shot. It is a really easy thing to measure. 

If you're having to move your thumb to hit the slide stop, it's costing something. Not much, but something. 

I'm not trying to change the way you do your thing, just noting that auto-forward is always going to be better and should be engineered into every gun.

4 hours ago, robertg5322 said:

If you're having to move your thumb to hit the slide stop, it's costing something. Not much, but something. 

I would encourage folks to measure shot to shot time for themselves if they are interested. Inserting a mag with enough force to autoforward reliably is the slow way to do things for me. 

On 9/25/2019 at 11:34 AM, Salsantini said:

I have a .40 PRO that will do this most of the time.   I would expect it to drop the slide and the slide would not drop.  I stopped relying on this and just use the slide stop/release.  

This is precisely why S&W re-engineered the 2.0. It wasn't consistent or reliable. Too many variables to engineer a handgun to do this reliably. It would/could be a disastrous liability issue if they said "yeah, that was designed to automatically let the slide go forward on inserting the mag and load a round, but oops it didn't do it and the poor guy got shot trying to defend himself". And then there's the warranty issue. How many pistols would they get back when people just can't get it to go forward magically on inserting a mag? They were smart to re engineer this defect out of the pistol. If it works reliably for some people that's great, but I wouldn't trust my life to it.

In competition (and I've said this before) if you run to slide lock, you either didn't plan your stage right or you royally goofed. In either case, if the slide magically goes forward and loads a round for you, you'll never make up the time you've already lost. Another split second at that point to reliably hit the slide lock costs no more than you already lost.

12 hours ago, mpeltier said:

In competition (and I've said this before) if you run to slide lock, you either didn't plan your stage right or you royally goofed.

Is it safe to assume that you do not shot SS major or production? 

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Is it safe to assume that you do not shot SS major or production? 

That would not be a safe assumption. I do shoot Limited and 3-gun more than anything these days, but for many years I shot SS and Limited 10 exclusively. I actually took high overall in limited 10 at the Florida state championship some years ago. And I didn't win it by going to slide lock.....planning your stage to reload between target arrays with one still in the chamber is the way to do it, Every time. Accept nothing less.

20 minutes ago, mpeltier said:

planning your stage to reload between target arrays with one still in the chamber is the way to do it, Every time. Accept nothing less.

Any advice on planning make up shots ? :) 

Other thing is my local stage designers have been known to deliberatly force 9 or 11 shots on occasion, it adds to the challenge (fun) when you can not afford to miss that plate or 1 of those 3 mini poppers. 

6 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Any advice on planning make up shots ? :) 

Other thing is my local stage designers have been known to deliberatly force 9 or 11 shots on occasion, it adds to the challenge (fun) when you can not afford to miss that plate or 1 of those 3 mini poppers. 

Yeah, read the first line of your signature line.....and don't miss.

It takes far less time to get a proper site picture and make your shot the first time than to make a shot up. If you need make up shots your exceeding your speed limit. Slow down a touch and you will get better results.

4 hours ago, mpeltier said:

It takes far less time to get a proper site picture and make your shot the first time than to make a shot up. If you need make up shots your exceeding your speed limit. Slow down a touch and you will get better results.

I've watched Alex Gutt shoot a make up shot on a steel plate, this was after he won the production nationals. After winning the IPSC world championship Ben Stoeger credited his win partially to shooting an extra "safety shot" at fast swingers and similar very difficult targets.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2019 at 7:54 AM, mpeltier said:

That would not be a safe assumption. I do shoot Limited and 3-gun more than anything these days, but for many years I shot SS and Limited 10 exclusively. I actually took high overall in limited 10 at the Florida state championship some years ago. And I didn't win it by going to slide lock.....planning your stage to reload between target arrays with one still in the chamber is the way to do it, Every time. Accept nothing less.

How about an eight shot array after an unloaded start? With three more eight shot arrays?

Edited by robertg5322

On 9/27/2019 at 8:34 AM, mpeltier said:

Are you seriously taking the fudd stance to "slow down and get your hits?"

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...