Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide goes forward on reload; M&P Pro9

gittist

M&P Pro 9:  When reloading, the slide will often go forward on the reload, but not always. I like that when shooting in a competition. As near as I can tell it's not always the same magazine.  I'd like it to do that every time. Any suggestions? 

I love that mine does it, and after a while I was able to get to 95%+ consistency with it, just by consistently slamming the mag in with the right amount of force.

The change in the M2.0 to prevent this is the only reason I haven't bought one.

3 hours ago, Domineaux said:

I love that mine does it, and after a while I was able to get to 95%+ consistency with it, just by consistently slamming the mag in with the right amount of force.

^ this , my Performance Center 9L dos it almost everytime , I just have to slap in the mag "just right" and it goes.

I love it,  my shadow 2 does it as well but not quite as easily as my 9L does

4 hours ago, Domineaux said:

+1

As long as I seat the mag firmly ... my 5 inch 40 always closes ... gently and it always stays open ... IMHO a big benefit w/ shooting anything!!

I have wanted a 2.0 since they came out but like you ... the extra effort/time required to close the slide is the only reason I have not bought one. 

I can't imagine what they thought they were fixing??!? If you put a magazine in the gun ... wouldn't you want the slide to close?? Would you want to walk around with the slide open??

49 minutes ago, pete627 said:

I can't imagine what they thought they were fixing??!? If you put a magazine in the gun ... wouldn't you want the slide to close?? Would you want to walk around with the slide open??

I can understand their reason for "fixing" it, as many didn't like that it wasn't 100% consistent at doing one thing or the other, and that makes sense.

But considering a lot of guns do it at least occasionally, and plenty of folks appreciate that M&Ps were pretty consistent at doing so, I'd rather they offer a "fixed" slide stop that could be swapped in, instead of making all M2.0 models use the "fix".

55 minutes ago, pete627 said:

In theory, it can cause malfunctions. It would be possible to miss the reload & have the slide close or in a "dynamic" situation, whack the gun causing the slide to auto-forward.  Don't forget competition guys are a VAST minority of gun owners.

Well .. when I really really wanted to make sure the slide stayed open it was very easy to put my thumb under the slide release and push up ...

IMHO it is kind of natural to do that with any gun.

With my 1911 I can easily push down on the slide release with my strong hand after a magazine is seated and the slide promptly close ... The 2.0 I tried wouldn't budge ... it took two hands to get the gun to close.

Edited by pete627
Edit: Sorry guys ... not trying to be argumentative ... but hey ... on my 1.0 I can release the slide with one had too ... just like the 1911.

11 minutes ago, SCTaylor said:

In theory, it can cause malfunctions. It would be possible to miss the reload & have the slide close or in a "dynamic" situation, whack the gun causing the slide to auto-forward.  Don't forget competition guys are a VAST minority of gun owners.

I think the vast majority of gun owners will not be needing their gun in a "dynamic" situation. I'm pretty sure that most guns in the country are just safe queens.

17 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

I think the vast majority of gun owners will not be needing their gun in a "dynamic" situation. I'm pretty sure that most guns in the country are just safe queens.

Dang it, I mean't we are NOT a vast... idgit.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, but don't forget that marketing these companies employ. ?

1 minute ago, SCTaylor said:

Dang it, I mean't we are NOT a vast... idgit.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, but don't forget that marketing these companies employ. ?

I think you said it right, I got you.

I do think your average person will see a gun auto-forwarding as a malfunction. I'd just as well have my not guns do it either. I watch guys and it looks fast in IDPA, but every now and then it doesn't go so the wack it again or worse it doesn't pick up a round or jams. And in that one reload they loose all the time they gained with the auto forward. If it works for you 100% it'll probably save you some tiny fractions of time here and there.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 9:53 AM, Domineaux said:

That is one of the main reasons I haven't bought any more of the 2.0...well that and the fact the grips were too aggressive, and they don't make a black 5" yet.

Does anyone know how to get the slide to fall easier on the 2.0 when you slam a mag in?

On 6/22/2018 at 3:41 PM, pete627 said:

Well .. when I really really wanted to make sure the slide stayed open it was very easy to put my thumb under the slide release and push up ...

IMHO it is kind of natural to do that with any gun.

With my 1911 I can easily push down on the slide release with my strong hand after a magazine is seated and the slide promptly close ... The 2.0 I tried wouldn't budge ... it took two hands to get the gun to close.

Its not a "slide release", Its a "slide stop". The M&P, like many other semi-auto's is designed for the stop to catch the slide and the shooter grasp the slide at the serrations, pull back a tad and release it to chamber a round. The best plan is to not run dry and insert a fresh mag without running to slide lock. If you run to slide lock, you already wasted too much time and releasing the slide as designed won't cost you any more than you've already given up. And if you've passed on the 2.0 because of the slide stop.......you've passed on S&W's best M&P yet..

Edited by mpeltier

You're absolutely correct ... I agree ... on the 2.0 it is indeed a slide stop

Every once in a while ... shooting production or steel ... and not making that last shot/plate and needing just one more my 1.0 has saved my butt ... I've even got a chuckle once when someone said "hey!! did you reload??"  It didn't take two hands. If it had not slammed closed I would have simply slid the slide release down with my thumb as I moved my weak hand into position (as I would do with a 1911). 

It hasn't happened a lot ... If I shot a toe off for every time it has happened I could probably still wear tennis shoes .?

I try to always count .. plan my stages well etc etc ... but somehow a shoot to slide lock will sneak in there sometimes ... I think it goes with the game.

I appreciate your insights ... but yes .. that is exactly why I quit looking at them.

Thanks ...

1 hour ago, pete627 said:

You're absolutely correct ... I agree ... on the 2.0 it is indeed a slide stop

Every once in a while ... shooting production or steel ... and not making that last shot/plate and needing just one more my 1.0 has saved my butt ... I've even got a chuckle once when someone said "hey!! did you reload??"  It didn't take two hands. If it had not slammed closed I would have simply slid the slide release down with my thumb as I moved my weak hand into position (as I would do with a 1911). 

It hasn't happened a lot ... If I shot a toe off for every time it has happened I could probably still wear tennis shoes .?

I try to always count .. plan my stages well etc etc ... but somehow a shoot to slide lock will sneak in there sometimes ... I think it goes with the game.

I appreciate your insights ... but yes .. that is exactly why I quit looking at them.

Thanks ...

Its a slide stop on the 1.0 as well. Not my definition but S&W's. Just read the manual. Your 1911 doesn't auto forward does it? non of mine do. Not trying to single you out if it seems that way, but relying on auto forwarding could be a bit of a bad habit in my opinion.

I can see where it has seemingly helped you in a few instances where you already made a mistake, but I have seen it go the other way many times as well. The 1.0 was our issue pistol for several years and many fellow officers would rely on auto forwarding their M&P, and more times than I can count they got a click when the slide failed to pick up a cartridge and load it, or the slide didn't go forward when they expected it too. Though you may have some success with it, do you really want to rely on a technique that may not be reliable?

If you think it goes with the game.....it does. I personally do not look at it as part of the game, I refuse that. It is very rare for me to go to slide lock, and it should be for you as well, or at least that should be your goal.

5 minutes ago, mpeltier said:

Its a slide stop on the 1.0 as well. Not my definition but S&W's. Just read the manual. Your 1911 doesn't auto forward does it? non of mine do. Not trying to single you out if it seems that way, but relying on auto forwarding could be a bit of a bad habit in my opinion.

> snip <

OK ... I appreciate your input and your opinion. 

IMHO ... if I release the slide either by slingshot or by pressing down on a button (a button on the side of the gun that is preventing the slide from moving forward) as I position my weak hand and re-establish my aim ... AND ... a round doesn't chamber ... I would fix the gun ... something is wrong with it.

If it "ever" failed to chamber a round at slide release (either way) I would worry at which time it might decide not to do so during regular operation.

It is very rare for me to go to slide lock. I do not include slide lock reloads in any stage plan (I think the IDPA folks may have to). If it does happen (for what ever reason) and I have to use two hands to get the gun closed or I accidentally launch the magazine over a wall or something then I will probably show clear and take a miss. 

IMHO ... ?

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/22/2018 at 8:20 AM, gittist said:

M&P Pro 9:  When reloading, the slide will often go forward on the reload, but not always. I like that when shooting in a competition. As near as I can tell it's not always the same magazine.  I'd like it to do that every time. Any suggestions? 

I like having the slide fly. On my full size mod1 I give a good wack one the mag is in and she goes forward everytime!

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/20/2018 at 1:03 PM, mpeltier said:

If you run to slide lock, you already wasted too much time and releasing the slide as designed won't cost you any more than you've already given up. 

Your math is off. If I run dry, say for the sake of this discussion it costs me a half second. If I have to release the slide vs. it releasing itself, it costs me an extra amount of time (say for the sake of this discussion .25 seconds). So when I run dry, if it auto forwards, I've lost .5 seconds if the slide auto forwards. If I have to manually forward it, you add the .25 seconds to the half second I'm eating for running dry.

It did cost me more time to actuate the slide release, slide stop, doohickey, thimajig, whatchmacallit or whatever you want to call the slide stop than if the slide auto-forwards. 

On 8/12/2018 at 11:56 AM, rustybayonet said:

I like having the slide fly. On my full size mod1 I give a good wack one the mag is in and she goes forward everytime!

It's not saving  you any time if you have to whack the mag after it's inserted. My thumb is on the slide stop when inserting the mag, so even if it didn't auto-forward, the slide would ride home. If you just have to insert the mag vigorously, it's saving you whatever time actuating the slide stop would have cost. If you're whacking the mag after it's inserted (smacking the bottom after it's in the gun), you're wasting time. 

Of course the fastest way to run a stage is to not run dry. So this is all theoretical, right?

23 hours ago, robertg5322 said:

Your math is off. If I run dry, say for the sake of this discussion it costs me a half second. If I have to release the slide vs. it releasing itself, it costs me an extra amount of time (say for the sake of this discussion .25 seconds). So when I run dry, if it auto forwards, I've lost .5 seconds if the slide auto forwards. If I have to manually forward it, you add the .25 seconds to the half second I'm eating for running dry.

It did cost me more time to actuate the slide release, slide stop, doohickey, thimajig, whatchmacallit or whatever you want to call the slide stop than if the slide auto-forwards. 

I think you missed the context in which I meant cost to mean. I didn't mean in actual time, but more in overall performance or points on a stage in which you find yourself with an unplanned standing slide lock. When this happens, there is also an additional reaction time to consider. For most competitors its substantially more than .25 seconds. 

On 8/24/2019 at 2:34 PM, mpeltier said:

I think you missed the context in which I meant cost to mean. I didn't mean in actual time, but more in overall performance or points on a stage in which you find yourself with an unplanned standing slide lock. When this happens, there is also an additional reaction time to consider. For most competitors its substantially more than .25 seconds. 

I get that, the times were for the sake of the argument.

That said, we all at some time or another run dry. It costs time, it makes you yell at the gun during the stage (as if it's the gun's fault for not changing magazines before it runs dry), and it is annoying. Having the slide auto-forward (if it's reliable) after a magazine is sent into the gun is a benefit. One less thing to have to do to get up and shooting again. Anything that can be done automatically is probably going to be faster than if I have to initiate the action. 

That said, I still have my thumb on the slide stop when inserting the magazine, so if for some reason it doesn't auto forward, the action of the bun being pushed up against the thumb will send it home. As I shoot left handed, this last part only works on ambidextrous guns or guns where the slide stop on the right side of the gun is far enough forward that my trigger finger can get to it.

• 4 weeks later...