Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody else have issues w/ TTI +5/6 basepad springs?

Outofammo

Hello everyone. I was able to locate a thread or two where people reported issues with their TTI basepads but not much info in the form of updates for fixes or remedies. I run TTI +5/6 basepads on three separate Glock 17 mags. With the TTI spring, the follower will eventually get stuck about 3/4 of the way down the magazine. When I load the mag to capacity (22 or 23 rounds), after about 6-7 rounds are spent the follower will get stuck and basically the remaining rounds will be sitting inside the mag with no spring pressure. I can dump all the remaining rounds out of the magazine by simply inverting the magazine and the follower still wont return to the top of the magazine. I will have to remove the basepad entirely to "reset" the follower. I have since changed to the Wolff +5% springs originally intended for the Glock 31/33 round mags and have not had any issues so far. Of course I cut about 5 coils from the Wolff springs before installing.

I have noticed that the TTI springs wont "clip" or "snap" properly into the factory follower like the OEM spring or Wolff spring does. I am wondering if this is the reason why the TTI seems to bind sometimes and cause the follower to get stuck? Any additional info would be great. It seems like 99.9% of people have no issues with the TTI basepads but I find that hard to believe as all three of mine gave me issues consistently before the spring swap. Thanks everyone for the info.

My TTI spring clipped into the follower. It took some effort but it will. Your's not being clipped in is your problem. Get the spring properly seated and your problem will stop. I have probably over 3,000 rounds on my +5 and it's still going strong, without a single issue. 

I have actually clipped the spring into the follower but the loop in the spring is so oversized that it causes the follower to bulge at the sides. The bulge then does not allow the follower to travel freely inside the magazine and will actually limit its movement so much that the slide lock will not engage in 2 out of the 3 magazines that I have. Its a very odd problem as it seems as if almost NOBODY has issues with TTI pads, but I have had issues with all 3 of mine.

Again, I changed over to the cut down wolff spring and have had no issues so far.

• 4 months later...

I started having feeding issues (the slide would stall half way through a magazine) with my G35 with TTI extensions and eventually diagnosed it as bad mag springs. When removed from the magazine the free length was less than that of a stock mag spring. They didn't have a lot of use either and I leave mags unloaded. Replaced with ISMI extra power springs and no more problems. I'm not sure why the springs took a set so quickly.

Ours have run great and I pretty much leave them loaded all the time.  I changed the springs electively after a couple of years.  I want to recall I had to play with one of the psrings to get it to snap onto the follower.  I have had good luck with the TTI Grandmaster trigger kits too.

• 5 months later...

Anyone else run into this with Gen 5 Glocks?

I have a new 34 and bought 3 of these basepads from BSPS. All have a spring that wont seat correctly into the OEM Glock follower.

Edited by nick779

• 3 weeks later...

Have you called TTI? Assemble the magazine without the follower and spring and look down the feedlips to see if there is a ledge between the magazine and basepad. You might have to shave the inside of the magazine down like a magwell or clean up the follower.

16 hours ago, JAustin316 said:

Have you called TTI? Assemble the magazine without the follower and spring and look down the feedlips to see if there is a ledge between the magazine and basepad. You might have to shave the inside of the magazine down like a magwell or clean up the follower.

I had to bend the portion of the spring that the follower clicks onto. TTI sent me a useless video showing me how to get the factory spring in, but it REQUIRED modification in order to click in properly

5 hours ago, nick779 said:

I had to bend the portion of the spring that the follower clicks onto. TTI sent me a useless video showing me how to get the factory spring in, but it REQUIRED modification in order to click in properly

Oh so their IG videos are better than their product support videos? Lol

It was a joke. I basically had to figure it out because their answer was that "it fits, youre installing it wrong"

Seriously, the bend in the end that fits in the follower is about 1/8" bigger than stock, it doesnt fit... I did some weird like shepard's hook bend into it and it fits nice and tight now.

• 2 years later...

I noticed on a couple of mine that if you’re not super careful one of the coils can get just barely caught between the extension and the body of the magazine. Everything will seem fine until you run a mag through and then it will bind up. I’ve started cycling a mag of dummy rounds through after installing the extensions now to verify it’s functioning properly.