Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

16inch ar15 barrel search

lucas

I like my Criterion. Starting to think how you fit and mount the barrel matters a lot - lapping the receiver, making a tight tap in fit by freezing barrel and/or heating receiver, using green Loctite, shims, buying known combinations of barrels and receivers that fit tight. 

No prom jokes please

On 11/21/2019 at 5:06 AM, gerritm said:

My son shot a Stretch barrel and the barrel extension came loose due to the melonite coating, at least that was their explanation. They did take great care of him and fixed it or sent a new barrel very fast. He has had no issues since, with many rounds thru it. 

We bought a 16" Criterion barrel for my granddaughters 3gun AR with rifle length gas. It is the softest most accurate of the 2. My son has shot both and really likes the Criterion better. It will be both of ours next barrel.

gerritm

Mine did the same thing.  I had to send it to McGowen and pay around $80 to get it fixed.   Not too pumped about having to pay to get my $400 barrel fixed.  I don't think my next barrel will be a stretch.  

Edited by farinx

On 11/21/2019 at 7:06 AM, gerritm said:

My son shot a Stretch barrel and the barrel extension came loose due to the melonite coating, at least that was their explanation. They did take great care of him and fixed it or sent a new barrel very fast. He has had no issues since, with many rounds thru it. 

I am taking my upper with stretch to test on Saturday.  What should I be looking out for?  It's a totally new build 

The funny thing about it was how the accuracy deteriorated gradually with less than 1K thru the Stretch barrel. My son has always been very good at longer ranges 300 plus yards and at a major match started missing. Shorter range was OK. He has a whole Strelok program figured and tested, knew his distance and holds. Finally went to the range and all was off. Took it apart the extension pretty much fell off. 

Did pay for shipping back, but they Stretch took good care of us, fixed it and sent back with NC. Has been fine ever since. He just shot it to test zero at 200 yards using Hornady Black 75gr BTHP.  All 6 shots were in a 2" bull, so pretty good accuracy. 

gerritm

Edited by gerritm
Add info

If you are considering a complete upper, and depending on your intended purpose,  Knight's Armament has had their intermediate 16''. But they don't sell the barrels separately.  It also uses their proprietary E3 Bolt. Knights also has a 14.5 with an intermediate gas system. 

I have one of their Mod2 16'' rifles and it shoots very smooth. But for competition I run a Rainer 16'' Intermediate that's been setup as pure game gun.