Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

16inch ar15 barrel search

lucas

44 minutes ago, lucas said:

Who was the company who makes a 16 inch ar 15 barrel that has a gas length a bit longer than mid length ?

Odin and stretch precision make 16” barrels with intermediate length gas systems.

Criterion and SMOS Arms make 16” barrels with rifle length gas systems. 

I’ve been very happy with the stretch 16, but the Odin and criterion barrels look like a really good value.

• 2 weeks later...

I now have two ARs with Criterion barrels. One is a 16” with rife length gas, the other is 22” 6.5 Creedmoor. Both guns shoot 1/2 groups. The people at Criterion are awesome and you can get the barrels headspaced with a high pressure bolt and a very good price point. I can highly recommend this company and their products. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just replaced my melonite Stretch16. It made it 12k rounds then started keyholing at 50 yards. If I drop a bullet into it it doesn't hit rifling and stop till about an inch after the chamber, so it's been on the way out for awhile and explains my erratic accuracy for the last 2k rounds.

I was actually hoping the (now discontinued) melonite barrel would last longer, 12k rounds is about two seasons worth for me and I don't feel like buying a nearly $400 barrel that often, especially after just proving to myself over the last 2k rounds that a 1-3 moa barrel can get the job done fine in 3 gun.

So now I'm also in the hunt for 16" intermediate or rifle length barrel thats on the cheaper end of the price spectrum.

Criterion

15160-HY12    16"    1-8 RH    .223 WYLDE    Rifle    .750    2.05 lbs 

Chrome lined $269 at optics planet

Recently put on a recent build and have been very happy

1518S-HY12-N    18"    1-8 RH    .223 WYLDE    Rifle    .750    2.20 lbs

stainless nitrided 

Criterion seems to offer a fair value with no magic voodoo claims. Chrome lined may offer some extra durability

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, apetrulis01 said:

Criterion Barrel with rifle length is what I am running on my current setup. Very soft shooting and is MOA accurate at 3 and 4 hundred yards. 

How long is the barrel? 

Special Ops Tactical makes a rifle length gas 14.8” barrel with an rearward angled gas port that they claim is reliable.  Has anyone heard of any actual real world use? For $209 may be worth a testing out.

17 hours ago, Hawk21 said:

Special Ops Tactical makes a rifle length gas 14.8” barrel with an rearward angled gas port that they claim is reliable.  Has anyone heard of any actual real world use? For $209 may be worth a testing out.

Just something to think about that I have pondered. Is a 14.8 barrel with rifle length any better then a 16 inch which we know can be reliable. Now a 13.7 or shorter I under is a savings. But 1.2 inches where reliability could be suspect isn't worth it to me. Just food for thought.  

• 2 weeks later...

Odin and Stretch16 both make a 16” with intermediate gas, I use the Odin and it’s great, with my hand loads I get under 1” MOA. I know Stretch16 currently has some barrels in stock and they sell quick and usually are a few month out when they sell out. For my next build I’ll probably go with the Stretch16 just for the cool factor, plus I know a few shooters who use them and the accuracy they get is crazy.

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread. Seems like Stretch16 is unobtanium. Their FB page suggests more production in January 2020.

What's the explanation behind discontinuing the melonite? To me it read like they are intimating it hurts accuracy.

Any alternatives worth checking out?  Is the Criterion 16" rifle length with chrome line still a good alternative? I was kind of hoping to avoid chrome lining, suspect it isn't ideal for accuracy.

My son shot a Stretch barrel and the barrel extension came loose due to the melonite coating, at least that was their explanation. They did take great care of him and fixed it or sent a new barrel very fast. He has had no issues since, with many rounds thru it. 

We bought a 16" Criterion barrel for my granddaughters 3gun AR with rifle length gas. It is the softest most accurate of the 2. My son has shot both and really likes the Criterion better. It will be both of ours next barrel.

gerritm

I've heard a lot of good about the Criterion chrome lined barrels. All the ADM guys love them and I've seen them in action at longer range in matches and they're clearly plenty accurate for 3 gun. 

Since this thread started Odin introduced a 16" rifle gas, Iron City Rifleworks has one, Lantac seems to have discontinued their 14.5 and 16 intermediates, and I just noticed Foxtrot Mike has a very inexpensive 16" rifle gas barrel.