Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X5 rear sight pin drifted out, replacement is easy

ddc

So a couple weeks ago I got my X5 out for some dry fire and said to myself "self, what a strange sight picture you have."

Turns out the pin that the elevation portion of the rear sight pivots on had disappeared at some point.

This is my first gun with an adjustable sight and looking at my other X5 it appeared that the pin might be proprietary as it appeared to be of reduced diameter on the left side.

Jumping to that conclusion I called Sig and explained the predicament. They said "we don't have that pin available. you'll have to send in the slide"

I went round and round with customer service to no avail. They wouldn't tell me about the pin or say anything else than "you will have to send it in".

So I gave in and sent it in.

Several days later I got a little more curious and decided to drive the pin out of my other X5 and check it out.

It turns out it is just a standard solid pin. The reason it looked narrower on the left side is that the opening on the left side is narrower. That's all.

The pin measures 5/64" x 5/8". Maybe a tad bit longer.

I wrote Sig a nasty email asking why they couldn't simply have told me the pin size. They did not respond.

Couldn't find a solid pin in that exact size but did find some 5/64" by 1" at McMaster-Carr.

I used a cut-off wheel on a Dremel to get it down to size, smoothed, leveled and chamfered the cut a bit; nothing fancy; just using the Dremel again.

Installed and added a bit of blue loctite. Seems to work just fine.

Hope that helps.