Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do polymer guns serve a purpose in USPSA production anymore

I personally love shooting glock because of reliability and price. You will see more $4,000+ 2011 guns have mag issues and jams. While I pick up my mags filled with sand that just keep running. Its painful for me to watch those guys break down there mags and brush them out after each stage. 

ultimately trigger pull and mechanics will be the same.  So keep running the glock imo

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, MrPan said:

I personally love shooting glock because of reliability and price. You will see more $4,000+ 2011 guns have mag issues and jams. While I pick up my mags filled with sand that just keep running. Its painful for me to watch those guys break down there mags and brush them out after each stage. 

ultimately trigger pull and mechanics will be the same.  So keep running the glock imo

I like my Glock too but it’s nowhere near the caliber of a 2011. 

7 minutes ago, Sarge said:

I like my Glock too but it’s nowhere near the caliber of a 2011. 

I agree,  but without basic pistol marksmanship and mechanics the gun won't get you very far. Money can't buy skill.

slightly off topic, but I'm new and trying to understand the rules. 

ISPC rules seem to clearly state the 34 and 35 are NOT legal in Production.   Am I reading this correctly?   If I'm going to shoot a Glock in iSPC production, is there anything to consider otehr than a 17?

FWIW I've got a 23 currently. 

Thank you.

Plastic guns will always have their place in our sport either due to lower cost to get in or people wanting to shoot with what they already have. I've shot plastic since I started uspsa. I don't feel like anything about it is holding me back and I will continue to shoot them until I feel like I am out shooting what I have, or I come into some money!

I'm almost 2 years into USPSA. Started with a G17 and am now shooting a 34. 

Took a class with Mr. Stoeger early in the year and spoke with him on the side. Asked him if I needed to buy a Stock 2 (which I kind of wanted to do) if I was going to get serious about competing. In so many words he said it made no difference at all. In fact he suggested I stay with the 34 due to the headache of gunsmithing, the different trigger pulls, and a couple of other things. 

Even so I was still interested and at a later point this summer was able to borrow a Stock 2 to shoot for a while. It was a beautiful gun, but after shooting it a bit I totally got what he was talking about. As he says in his Fundamentals book, "It's a tool. Don't get to wrapped up in it." 

Besides all that, Didn't Coley and Vogel place 1-2 at IPSC Nationals in Limited? (Standard) If plastic guns were a disadvantage anywhere I would think it would be shooting major rather than minor in production. 

I agree with the shoot what you have mentality. However, my first year I was shooting a G34 and didn’t really like the gun all that much. It meant that I didn’t practice much and it took me a year to make C class. This January I got a single stack and just getting the new gun that felt better and I liked more caused me to want to practice. I won my class at a major this year and have moved up to a solid B class shooter. I don’t think the gun made me shoot any better and some of the gun handling is more difficult with the single stack. But I will say that changing platforms to a gun that you like will cause to practice more, at least initially.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think it's absurd that IPSC decided to break Production Optics into two separate divisions because polymer guns supposedly aren't competitive. Look at what the top finishers from this year's nats were shooting. It's the Indian, not the arrow.

3 hours ago, Xanatos903 said:

I think it's absurd that IPSC decided to break Production Optics into two separate divisions because polymer guns supposedly aren't competitive. Look at what the top finishers from this year's nats were shooting. It's the Indian, not the arrow.

In Australia, there are relatively few top Production shooters using polymers..the vast majority are shooting Shadows (now many have ditched their SP 01s for 2s) and Tanfog Stocks. I know of 3 top Prod guys one with an M&P and two with Glocks and now only the M&P guy has stuck to his tupperware exclusively. I'm a bottom of the barrel grade shooter but often I've had the only plastic gun in the squad...things must be very different in the US.

Edited by zhuk

On 10/7/2018 at 8:37 PM, boudreux said:

Plastic guns will always have their place in our sport either due to lower cost to get in or people wanting to shoot with what they already have. I've shot plastic since I started uspsa. I don't feel like anything about it is holding me back and I will continue to shoot them until I feel like I am out shooting what I have, or I come into some money!

I agree that the plastic frame guns will always have a place. If you want new shooters to come out you should let them shoot something they would already own. There are multiple reasons why people choose to do something as a hobby, but the largest would be price.

I started gaming with SS 9mm 1911, minor in IDPA, then moved to a steel Para, then a 6 " STI Bull barrel for USPSA,,, like my heavy guns. But was shooting major. Then I got into pins with heavy loads of 44 mag and 45acp.
I recently got a XDM OSP,,,   4.5" with a Viper,,, basic drop in trigger job and some mag extensions and a lighter recoil spring , combined with mousefart 147 gr ammo... Man I love this thing it rocks.. I  was just a B class, with bad knees,,, but know way would I ever feel this gun is holding me back from what I could do with a heavier steel gun

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2018 at 11:40 AM, Mikeski said:

I agree that the plastic frame guns will always have a place. If you want new shooters to come out you should let them shoot something they would already own. There are multiple reasons why people choose to do something as a hobby, but the largest would be price.

This.. getting new users to shoot when they have to have a 1k gun to be competitive would severely limit the sport. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/18/2018 at 7:24 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

Lots of Area matches and the like are won with polymer guns.

I went the Tanfo route, and was shooting it when I made A class.

I’m back in a polymer gun (Q5 match) and my classifier percentages are closer to M than they were with the metal gun. Not because of the gun(s). Because of how practiced I am with what I’m shooting on match day. 

You hear you need a metal gun because guys with metal guns are certain they are better with their metal gun. They need to justify their purchase.

Find the gun that fits your hand best. And keep that one. 

Is it true that the q5 has a stronger recoil

6 minutes ago, JohnS23 said:

Is it true that the q5 has a stronger recoil

Recoil honestly doesn’t matter very much unless you sit around on gun forums instead of working on gripping your gun hard, and practicing.

But yes, a gun like a Tanfoglio or even an X5 does feel like it recoils more softly. I hear online a lot that the Q5 is very snappy but it’s only a minor difference compared to something like a 34 or P320, and I prefer it’s ergonomics enough that I shoot Walther.

Walther. Tanfo. CZ. Glock. You’ll shoot the same score with the same amount of practice behind any of them.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

8 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Recoil honestly doesn’t matter very much unless you sit around on gun forums instead of working on gripping your gun hard, and practicing.

But yes, a gun like a Tanfoglio or even an X5 does feel like it recoils more softly. I hear online a lot that the Q5 is very snappy but it’s only a minor difference compared to something like a 34 or P320, and I prefer it’s ergonomics enough that I shoot Walther.

Walther. Tanfo. CZ. Glock. You’ll shoot the same score with the same amount of practice behind any of them.

You’ve got a good point. 

The reason I’m asking is that the Q5 in my area sells for $670, which is cheaper than anything online. I was wondering if there was something wrong with it especially Walther came up with a new Steel frame.

I’ve also read a couple of negatives online but you said it best, it’s more of a user problem than the gun itself.

Thanks! 

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

The Q5 is a great gun. I love mine.

I bought a second ironsight one (5” PPQ) so that I’ll have a backup actually.

It is really that good that you bought a second one. I am leaning towards the Q5 polymer. It is way cheaper than the steel framed. I do not think it has that much of a difference.

@JohnS23 well to be fair, that isn’t abnormal. Most guys who shoot a lot wind up wanting a backup gun, plus my girl needs something to shoot in matches, too. ;) 

I shot a 45oz steel Tanfoglio for a year, then came back to light 20ish Oz polymer guns because they’re what I carry. I really don’t think there is much difference in speed & accuracy if you’re well practiced and you’re driving the gun hard.

Polymer guns are just fine. They carry quicker and with 9 minor weight isn’t an issue. Of course the trend is to go heavy, but glocks and m&p’s and 320’s finish high and win a lot still. The real difference I see with tanfos and cz’s is in sight stability, but you have to muscle those guns around a lot more (relatively speaking). the lighter guns get around quicker, but you have to deal with minute muzzle shake/ vibration when it gets there (which can be reduced greatly with practice and technique). All personal preference and how much money you wanna spend in production

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The other side of the coin are shooters that shot for years and kind of drifted away. I shot for 20 or so years, have had a number of nice high end 2011 and 1911 open and limited guns that I sold when I lost interest in the game. The last year or so I wanted to shoot a match now and then, to reconnect with old friends as much as anything. A XDM 5.25 with a little trigger work and a little touch here and there serves the purpose very well.---------------Larry