Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 550 - Automatic Primer System Problems

I'm having problems with the primer feed on my Dillon 550 (1986 vintage).  It was reworked by Dillon about 3 years ago.

About 2000 rds ago my press started dumping a few primers on the ground.  One primer would be in the cup and with every third pull or so of the handle an extra primer would pop out.  One primer in the cup and one on the ground.  I'm currently running S&B SPP primers but this weekend tested the primer system with a hundred Winchester SPP and have the same problem.

I replaced the small primer tube flexible orifice (part #14024) without improvement. 

I also played with the adjustment on the slide pickup adjustment screw (part #13961) but that will only make things worse, not better.

I also checked to assure the knurled primer shield cap was snug and not too tight.

Can the primer feed stop pin (part #14051) wear out over time?  Inspected and it appears OK.

Any suggestions?   Thanks.

Let's start with the easy stuff. Are you using the small primer tube? If you have the large tube this problem can occur. 2. As you know that when the slide goes back the white stop pin moves back and drops one primer into the cup. Even if it looks good replace it. Re adjust the stop pin just until one primer drops. Clean the hole the pin goes through. The pin may be sticking. 

Press has the correct (small) primer tube.  Just now pulled the white stop pin and cleaned it and the hole with alcohol and adjusted the stop pin back and forth.

Looks like  a primer feed stop pin (part #14051) is added to the shopping list.  I don't know if the pin was replaced when Dillon worked over the press, but if not, the original lasted well over 250K rds,

I was also going to stock up on replacement small flexible orifices (part #14024) for the magazine tube  but found a thread where some folks were having good luck replacing the 550 primer magazine with the plastic tip with the 650 primer magazine (part #22032) that is all brass.

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for the help.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Cleaned the hole for the Primer Feed Stop Pin with alcohol and a pipe cleaner.

Cleaned and greased the pin.

Pulled the primer magazine assembly and visually inspected to verify Primer Seating Cup was lined up with the tube.

Out of the last 140 primers loaded into the machine, 25 primers ended up on the ground.

This is a recent problem noticed in the last 2000 rds loaded on a press.  That is after the press has loaded many thousands of rounds.  Only small rifle and pistol primers have been loaded in the past 10 years so other than cleaning, nothing has been switched out except for occasional replacement of the Flexible Orifice.

Any other suggestions or is it time to order parts?    I'm looking at replacing Primer Feed Stop Pin (Part # 14051), the Primer Feed Stop spring (Part # 13979) and stockpile a couple of the Flexible Orifice Small (Part # 14024).

Thank you.

I'm guessing you know this but I'll put it out there anyway.

Part 14024 is keyed. It's necessary when installing the primmer tube to set it in the black primmer pipe and twist it until is sets down fully. The primmer tube is fully seated when no more than 1/2 inch of it is showing above the primmer pipe. I once spilled a lot of primmers when I failed to do this.

Thanks Paul.  I don't remember having that problem but bet I dumped a bunch of primers at least once in the past 30 some years.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.  Order placed for all the parts that could come into play.  Will update once they are installed.

I'm having problems with the primer feed on my Dillon 550 (1986 vintage).  It was reworked by Dillon about 3 years ago.

About 2000 rds ago my press started dumping a few primers on the ground.  One primer would be in the cup and with every third pull or so of the handle an extra primer would pop out.  One primer in the cup and one on the ground.  I'm currently running S&B SPP primers but this weekend tested the primer system with a hundred Winchester SPP and have the same problem.

I replaced the small primer tube flexible orifice (part #14024) without improvement. 

I also played with the adjustment on the slide pickup adjustment screw (part #13961) but that will only make things worse, not better.

I also checked to assure the knurled primer shield cap was snug and not too tight.

Can the primer feed stop pin (part #14051) wear out over time?  Inspected and it appears OK.

Any suggestions?   Thanks.

What did Dillon say? Call them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Dillon replacement parts came in today.  

I replaced the Primer Feed Stop Pin (Part # 14051), the Primer Feed Stop spring (Part # 13979) and the Flexible Orifice Small (Part # 14024).

Loaded 100 quick rounds and the Primer System is back to running 100%.