Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting with a very bad back, is it still possible to participate in USPSA?

wanttolearn

I suffered a rather significant spinal injury and am left with a lot of pain but thankfully i can walk. I'll never be a top shooter but I would love to get back to shooting some of the active sports. I'm still rather accurate and extremely safe but I need some extra back support if I'm to make it through the day.

I was wondering if something like (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00897EPFM/?tag=gunpl-20) this might be legal and used to shoot USPSA or other club level pistol sports.

I'm not sure how i would attach holster and magazine holders?

I would sure love any advice. thanks

I also have a bad back. My spine doctor gave me a lumbar support with a flexible and hard(kydex) brace insert. When I shoot, I use the support with the flexible insert. I put my inner shirt first, back support, long sleeve shooting shirt tucked in, then my inner and outer belts. It limits my mobility, I.e running and bending over but I make do of what I am able to do within my limitations. 

It slows me down but it’s a lot better than not being able to shoot or do things I love doing. I have a lot of fun just being out in the range shooting in a Match with friends. 

Ask your doctor for one so you can use it while you’re shooting. Your insurance will pay for it too.

mine looks like this but has the flexible and hard insert.

Lumbar support

Edited by George16
Spelling

It really depends on your local club. Some setup stages where the physically fit have a major advantage.

Leaning around barricades or squatting/kneeling for low ports will probably be your biggest issues. For low ports run the course so they are last if possible, this way you will not be on the clock when getting up. For tighter leans you may just have to step over the fault lines and take the penalties.

You can still have a great amount of fun IMO. I often see those who are not so focused on performance enjoy the day the most. If you have a bad initial experience try the same match on a different squad, each squad at local matches seem to have their own personality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I read this, I’m laying on a heating pad after just calling my doctor to beg for more pain meds and move up my epidural date.  Welcome to the wonderful world of life with a bad back!

I had my first back surgery 7 years ago and am expecting another one.  I’ve shot USPSA in the meanwhile and even managed to win an L-10 trophy since then, so yes it can be done.  

Having said that, my plan over a lot of the last decade was to be a USPSA shooter first and foremost, but shoot Steel Challenge only as a form of interim sport or physical therapy while getting prepared for USPSA when injurred or recovering from an injury.   As the various injuries blended together, somewhere along the line I realized that I was getting really good at SC, I was very happy shooting it, and I should concentrate on that first and foremost.  I’m now a very happy and satisfied Steel Challenge shooter, and my bad back has very little effect on my shooting game due to the nature of SC vs USPSA. 

So, short version, yes you can still shoot USPSA, but you might want to consider giving SC a try as well.  

I had my Radio frequency surgery for my lower back last Thursday and shot yesterday. I didn’t do well but I had a lot of fun. I hardly felt any pain during the match due to adrenaline rush but once I got home, that’s a different story. 

Good luck and have fun.

Edited by George16

Really appreciate the information.  It's good to hear that others have managed to successfully participate with this type of challenge (though i'm sorry others are suffering as well). I really miss shooting.

Not sure if we have SC here as well but i'll do some research.

It's hard to imagine shooting with the back support but i'll have to give it a try.  Hopefully my belt will fit over the darn thing. Wonder if i'll have the stamina to make it through a course. Time will tell i guess. 

4 minutes ago, wanttolearn said:

Really appreciate the information.  It's good to hear that others have managed to successfully participate with this type of challenge (though i'm sorry others are suffering as well). I really miss shooting.

Not sure if we have SC here as well but i'll do some research.

It's hard to imagine shooting with the back support but i'll have to give it a try.  Hopefully my belt will fit over the darn thing. Wonder if i'll have the stamina to make it through a course. Time will tell i guess. 

Give rifle a try.  It’s a lot easier on the back (for me anyway) and there’s no holster to deal with.  If you go the SC route, a lightweight rimfire rifle feels like nothing and is the most fun gun to shoot, period.  

23 minutes ago, jkrispies said:

Give rifle a try.  It’s a lot easier on the back (for me anyway) and there’s no holster to deal with.  If you go the SC route, a lightweight rimfire rifle feels like nothing and is the most fun gun to shoot, period.  

SC might be a viable option if it's available to you.  The only stage requiring movement is Outer Limits.  A lightweight PCC or rimfire will negate the necessity for a holster.  SC also has very little stage maintenance once the match starts.  USPSA will have you pasting and resetting steel after every shooter.  

Great information. Really don't know anything about SC but will read about it. Only tried USPSA and IDPA pre-injury.

Have been shooting bench rest rifle a little of late as it's tough for me to carry much weight. I don't enjoy rifle as much as pistol (but i do like it).... i've got to develop my skills in this faculty as well.

I have an old 9mm rifle in the safe, can't recall the model.. a camp carbine?  Haven't shot it in forever. Perhaps i could use that with a sling?

Holding a pistol out at length is fine. Static shooting is tolerable, it's the running, carrying weight and bouncing that hurts like hell and man i pay for it later. Such is life, I've got to get outside and enjoy life.

3 minutes ago, wanttolearn said:

Great information. Really don't know anything about SC but will read about it...   Static shooting is tolerable, it's the running, carrying weight and bouncing that hurts like hell and man i pay for it later. Such is life, I've got to get outside and enjoy life.

You don’t know it yet but you’re convincing yourself to be an SC shooer, lol!!!

Do not give up on USPSA though. I had a foot/ankle injury that went on for 2 years. I shot many matches in a boot and almost every one for two years limping from place to place. Totally enjoyed it even though I was not very competitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like yourself I have a bad back. Spent 2 days in the hospital till the Dr's  figured to see if I could ride it out. I'm not as competitive by no means like I used to be but I have fun. 

Gonna take George16's advice and look at the support.

Go back to shooting USPSA and enjoy the time on the range.

You might want to look at NRA Action Pistol/Bianchi Cup shooting. Despite the name, there is very little "action" to it. It still has holster starts, but you can shoot it in flip flops. It does have prone, but there is no hurry to get up. 

I have degenerative disc disease in the L4 & L5, & something going on in the thoracic spine. I bring a folding chair to matches now, the standing was a killer. I'm still the first one up to reset though. 

Edited by OPENB

I was thinking Bianchi Cup style shooting,  too.

If you enjoy IPSC/USPSA, do give it a shot. I haven't read how USPSA puts it but IPSC has the possibility to take fixed penalties if you are physically unable to take some shots. The IPSC rule says:

10.2.10 Special penalty: A competitor unable to fully execute any part of a course of fire due to incapacity or injury may, prior to making his attempt at the course of fire, request that the Range Master apply a penalty in lieu of the stated course requirement.

10.2.10.1 If the request is approved by the Range Master, he must state, in advance of the competitor attempting the course of fire, the extent of the special penalty, ranging from 1% to 20% of the competitor's points "as shot", to be deducted.
10.2.10.2 Alternatively, the Range Master may waive application of any penalties in respect of a competitor who, due to having a significant physical disability, is unable to comply with the stated course requirement.
10.2.10.3 If the request is denied by the Range Master, normal procedural penalties will apply.

Thanks...i sent an email to the NRA to see if there are any NRA Action Shooting or Bianchi Cup type courses or competitions near San Diego. Hopefully they might be able to forward me a list.

I know I'm never going to be capable of truly competing on equal ground with physically sound shooters and so i understand the necessity of such a policy, It's good to know the process.

I am 65 and I also have very bad back problems.  As long as I am standing straight I am fine, but if I need to bend or drop to the ground to shoot it becomes an issue.  We had a stage at our local club were we needed to shoot one round on each target reload and place one more shot on each target.  I was shooting my PCC GMR-15 and didn't have my Techwell magwell at this time.  I put the first rounds down range then made my reload shot one shot and the magwell fell to the ground.  Since I only had two mags loaded at the time I needed the one that fell to the ground.  A stage that would have taken 12-14 seconds took 25 seconds to complete.  I make sure I always have enough mags with me now.  I enjoy competing and do not want to give up shooting, but I have cut back some.  

I shoot with a club where we have several gentlemen who are "well aged" like a fine wine. They still have a great time and shoot great. We even have one younger fellow who shoots from a wheelchair. Does he win? No. But he does have a great time and he is a hardcore competitor. Personally, I have a pair of knees I have to be very careful with. So I do not move as spritely as many guys do. But so what? I have a blast and enjoy every match I get to shoot.

Look for a medical device that you wear under your clothing and then you can use your normal belt & holster.  Your Dr should be able to help you find the correct device.  You may have to go up a size or two on your belt.

I shoot mostly IDPA, some USPSA, some SC, some local mongrels.

On a good day, the adrenaline overcomes the aches and I feel fine from buzzer to ULSC.

On a bad day, I wince as I clump from place to place. 

The good days are getting less common.  But I still finish.