back in.

If you're reloading 9mm MAJOR, it's a personal choice - some people like to

use only new or once fired brass - then you'll have to find a source which you

feel comfortable is selling once fired brass.   BUT, many of us use Anything

(range brass) for 9mm MAJOR, and some of us continue to shoot it until

it falls apart  ….

So, how many problems you have depends on your equipment and your

personal choices    :) 

It depends on a few things. If you’re using long (heavy) bullets, some headstamps don’t seem to be compatible and tend to bulge badly (Aguila and CBC).

Some have crimped pockets that will need special attention on the first reload.

Some are copper/brass plated steel and should not be reloaded.

I throw away all CBC head stamps because they are usually too short and if I don't set the expander die for them they scrape the coating off my bullets. Its easier to just throw them away. 

I'm very anal when it comes to my brass.  I only keep Winchester, Federal, PMC, Speer, Starline, Remington & S&B.  All others go into the give away pile.  I remove all Stepped brass and toss them.

AMERC are the worst I’ve encountered. The heads will separate from the case. 

AMERC goes without saying. Anyone who’s been around a while knows that’s crap brass. Even when factory new, it’s crap ammo.

5 hours ago, stick said:

I'm very anal when it comes to my brass.  I only keep Winchester, Federal, PMC, Speer, Starline, Remington & S&B.  All others go into the give away pile.  I remove all Stepped brass and toss them.

My list is the same except I keep Blazer and don't use S&B.

I check brass before it goes into resize station.  I check inside, then check headstamps.  Brass with funny numbers, brass that I can’t read headstamp gets chucked.  S&B, CBC, stepped brass,  amerc.  all get chucked.

21 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

If you have a Dillon 1050, you'll have very few problems with almost anything -

That is my experience. I also do not load anything above 130 pf (9mm) so I do not get excited about it if there are a few pieces of stepped brass that get loaded, but I will pitch that stuff when I notice it. 

I've loaded some of the stepped brass, primarily "ammoload", and it worked fine for 9mm minor but I've seen enough pics of separated cases that I've started to toss it.

I keep the CBC but find that it works better when I adjust my dies. So I save up a bunch and then just load CBC for a bit. 

I find CBC to have a very stiff feel when working the press.

I used to think that S&B was not the greatest and had saved up a bunch not wanting to toss it. One day I was a bit low and decided to load the S&B. It was fine. Don't remember now why I thought it was problematic. I think at that point in time I was loading with a Lee turret and had primer insertion issues. More recently loading on a 650 and no primer problems with S&B. I do sort S&B with a magnet and have found a few steel cases, maybe 1 in 500 or thereabouts.

I like Remington (RP).  I like Federal. I like Winchester.

I think Blazer is the opposite of CBC, very soft feeling. Similar for CCI, Speer, Federal. Maybe not surprising given they are all part of the same conglomerate.

I've loaded Aguila, PMC, PPU, Geco, GFL...they all work but then I sort for headstamps and save up enough so that if I need to make a die adjustment for a given stamp it makes sense to do so. 

Edited by ddc

7 minutes ago, Chillywig said:

What about the brass that has a canaluver in the middle of it? Especially for major power factor?

No problems. I have loaded hundreds of those in 9MAJOR. Many repeatedly.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/17/2018 at 3:41 PM, Tnbb33 said:

Thanks for the feedback. CBC is one that has given me problems, lots fail to gauge.

What bullets are you using?  CBC case walls get thicker higher than most others, so if you have a bullet with a sharp shoulder at the base and/or you have to seat deeply, you'll run into trouble (usually bulging at the base of the bullet) more frequently.  In my experience, Montana Gold bullets, especially seated deeply, are basically a no-go with CBC brass, but bullets with more rounded shoulders like Berry's Plated and Blue Bullets coated seem to work out better.

On 6/17/2018 at 1:07 PM, njl said:

It depends on a few things. If you’re using long (heavy) bullets, some headstamps don’t seem to be compatible and tend to bulge badly (Aguila and CBC).

Some have crimped pockets that will need special attention on the first reload.

Some are copper/brass plated steel and should not be reloaded.

This ^

• 2 weeks later...