Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550b index sprocket sticking

The index sprocket on my 550b locks up sometimes trying to index. It doesn't seem to matter how tight the shell plate bolt is. I think the bolt is turning as the sprocket is indexing, this tightening itslef down. I noticed when I unscrewed the bolt and removed it, I couldn't get the sprocket to slide down off the bolt.

Any body else have this problem

550b video

Edited by GregInAtl
check off notification box

1 minute ago, George16 said:

There is a set screw on the bolt. Make sure the setscrew that locks the bolt in place is tight so the bolt stays in place and doesn’t rotate and tighten up while you’re indexing it.

yes, the set screw is tight. I am thinking that the sprocket is trying to turn the bolt but the set screw won't allow it. I have the feeling it has something to do with the sprocket being stuck on the shell plate bolt.

When was the last time you took it apart for cleaning? If you haven’t cleaned it for awhile, I recommend doing it and start from there. I usually do that every six months. It’s surprising how much crud gets in there after that time. Good luck.

4 minutes ago, George16 said:

When was the last time you took it apart for cleaning? If you haven’t cleaned it for awhile, I recommend doing it and start from there. I usually do that every six months. It’s surprising how much crud gets in there after that time. Good luck.

Do you ever lubricate the shell plate bolt?

Edited by GregInAtl