Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Relocating to St. Augustine Fla. need places to shoot etc

Need all the help I can get. I’m looking for places to shoot, clubs to join and matches to schedule. I love St. Aug and can’t wait to get there.  Looking to shoot all the matches possible from 3 gun to PCC to SASS, and anything/everything in between! Appreciate any and all recommendations. 

St. Augustine has Ancient City shooting range and Fraternal Order of police shooting range. Ancient city hosts a uspsa match every last Saturday of the month, two gun every last Sunday of the month while FOP hosts one Uspsa Match every third Saturday of the month. SEPSA at Fernandina beach hosts a USPSA Match every second Saturday of the month. 

Ancient city range also hosts IDPA, steel challenge and other shooting matches. There is also Gateway rifle and pistol club which hosts NRA bullseye shooting, long range rifle, cowboy, steel challenge and other shooting stuff. 

You will find a variety of shooting activities every weekend within a radius of 30-50 from St Augustine. Plus, St. Augustine is a very nice place to live.

Pm me if you have any other questions. I’ll be glad to answer any questions.

Edited by George16
Spelling

• 3 weeks later...

I too just moved to the area (St Johns County near Rt13 and Roberts Road) and am looking for USPSA and IDPA matches.  Have seen they all appear to be on Saturdays.  Are there any that are on Sundays and weekdays?  Also looking for a home range to shoot at.  What else besides Ancient City is there?  While that looks like a nice facility, memberships seem to be quite pricey given that I probably won't go there to just shoot that often when not shooting matches.  Thanks for any feedback.

If you're up for a drive, Frostproof (universal Shooting Academy) has some awesome matches.  The place is run by Frank Garcia and Shannon Smith, two world class shooters.  Do I need to say anymore?

9 minutes ago, stick said:

If you're up for a drive, Frostproof (universal Shooting Academy) has some awesome matches.  The place is run by Frank Garcia and Shannon Smith, two world class shooters.  Do I need to say anymore?

Thanks, I have heard great things about the place; unfortunately I like to keep the drive under two hours.  That seems to be about 3.5 hours each way from where I live :(

2 hours ago, kirbinster said:

Thanks, I have heard great things about the place; unfortunately I like to keep the drive under two hours.  That seems to be about 3.5 hours each way from where I live :(

You can goto Gateway rifle and pistol club on Jacksonville’s west side and become a member for $130 a year plus $80 indoc fee for the first year for unlimited use of the facility. After the first year, annual renewal is $130. There are dedicated pistol bays you can setup and use for practicing for uspsa and idpa or steel challenge. You can do rapid fire and draws from these pistol bays and shoot pcc too.

im a member of this club and do my live fire practice once a week. I also shoot my rifles here. They have multiple rifle range up to 200 yards. The club house also sells reloading stuff and ammo and fairly competitive prices. In fact, their assortment of powders are a lot cheaper compared to stores such as academy sports and other online stores. 

It’s pretty much a straight shot from your place going through I-95 north then to I-295. 

You can also become a member of the Fraternal Order of Police shooting range and shoot there pretty much 24 hours. Once you become a member, you’ll be given a membership card that’ll enable you to open the gate using the magnetic strip on your card to access the place anytime you want too. There are lights to let you shoot at night. There are also cabanas and electric fans on these cabanas to alleviate the heat and humidity during these hot summer months.

Edited by George16

13 hours ago, kirbinster said:

Where is the Fraternal Order of Police shooting range, is that the one near Ancient City?  What does it cost to become a member, and do you need to be a LEO?

Yes. Right across the outlet mall. It cost around $200 a year. You don’t need to be a LEO to join.

saltwater shooting club is a nice one too. I like their long range rifle range for PRS.

Edited by George16

47 minutes ago, dannyd said:

You will find the greatest thing about Florida is its not New Jersey   ;)

Eeeehhh get down towards Palm Beach to Ft. Lauderdale and I'd start to disagree! ?

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the links to the clubs that are most active within a reasonable driving distance to St. Augustine.

SAPSA: https://practiscore.com/clubs/sapsa-1
SEPSA: https://practiscore.com/clubs/sepsa
ACPSA: https://practiscore.com/clubs/acpsa-2016
Shoot GTR: https://practiscore.com/clubs/shoot-gtr-uspsa
CAPS: https://practiscore.com/clubs/coastal-area-practical-shooters

I'm a local of St.Augustine..   We have a ton of great shooters here and a lot of match's in the area.   The first week of the month is Steel challenge, the 2nd weekend has a match in Yule, 3rd week is Steel challenge or USPSA at SAPSA,  and the fourth week is Ancient city USPSA match.   So there are two ranges here,  I would recommend trying to become a member of FOP113.   Ancient city is really expensive and I don't care for it much but that's just my opinion on it.

We have some great local gun smith's, and bullet manufactures that make some great ammo as well.    Let me know if you need anything,  we frequently go to the range and practice if you would like to check the place out before applying for membership.

On 7/9/2018 at 10:52 AM, kirbinster said:

Where is the Fraternal Order of Police shooting range, is that the one near Ancient City?  What does it cost to become a member, and do you need to be a LEO?

Its only a few miles away,  you don't need to be LEO,   But I'm sure there is a wait list now.   Due's are very reasonable!    You can access all the information to become a member from the website.

On 7/25/2018 at 2:50 PM, jtrump said:

Its only a few miles away,  you don't need to be LEO,   But I'm sure there is a wait list now.   Due's are very reasonable!    You can access all the information to become a member from the website.

Last I heard, waitlists  are no more and sponsorship isn't necessary either. Here's their website: https://sjcfop113.com/

21 hours ago, chrisstophere said:

Last I heard, waitlists  are no more and sponsorship isn't necessary either. Here's their website: https://sjcfop113.com/

Ron Faircloth runs the place now, he's doing a great job.   From the last time I spoke with him which has been sometime...  there was still going to be a wait list which could have changed.   But I know for sure they did away with the sponsorship deal which is nice.   It's certainly more economical to shoot at FOP and not deal with the hassle of walking into the ancient city office where they all think they are John Wick hah.

23 minutes ago, jtrump said:

Ron Faircloth runs the place now, he's doing a great job.   From the last time I spoke with him which has been sometime...  there was still going to be a wait list which could have changed.   But I know for sure they did away with the sponsorship deal which is nice.   It's certainly more economical to shoot at FOP and not deal with the hassle of walking into the ancient city office where they all think they are John Wick hah.

Had to look up "John Wick" now that's funny.   Still waiting for the club house at Ancient City.