Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open gun expected accuracy

Stymie12000

Just looking for what you guys are getting for group size. Say 20 yards with a frame mounted optic open! I've got a slide mounted optic open and a frame mounted optic open. And the frame isn't as accurate. Just want to make sure something else isn't going on!

Steel gun with steel grip.  With My slide mounted open (steel frame with polumer grip) I can do cloverleaf at 20 yards. Same load is maybe 3"@ 20 with frame mounted

I switched optics with same results! 

Edited by Stymie12000

12 minutes ago, mro111lland said:

Sounds like a loose mount or dot I can get 1 inch or less at that distance

Thanks for the reply's. I did swapp out the optics to rule that out. Also, made sure mount was torqued. That totally crossed my mind.  I think something else is going on. Sounds like what Im getting is not the norm. Im going to explore different bullets. Need to rule that out. I have tried hs6 and aa #7. #7 is more accurate in both guns. 

Edited by Stymie12000

What bullet are you loading? 

I have two open guns (both STI framed 2011) and each is very accurate out to 30 yards with the ammo they like and its different for each of them.  Both shoot under 3" for 10 shot groups.

One likes 125 gr MG and Zero JHP over N-350 and HS-6.  The other shoots better with 115 gr MG JHP over N-350.  Other loads can give acceptable accuracy but the listed loads are just more accurate.

So far I've tried 115gr blue with hs6 and #7. I have also tried 124 fmj with hs6. The 124 shot the worst but I only tried one powder charge. 

The #7 is by far more accurate in the frame mounted. The slide mounted gun likes both hs6 and #7.

I have some 115 fmj MG coming. I'm thinking the one gun may not like the coated. 

Btw both guns have identical barrels from the same manufacturer!

Edited by Stymie12000

How tight is your slide to frame fit with the frame mounted optic

one reason accurails became popular was because with a frame mounted optic you’re aiming the gun with the frame instead of the sights on the slide

My Open gun shoot same hole groups at 15 yards with Rainier plated.  I get one hole groups with Montana Gold JHP and X-Treme plated.  One brand of poly coated bullet is as good as the X-Treme.  All of the others I've tried are worse.

My last open gun from Don Fraley, shooting Win 540 that I had 8lbs of and Montana Gold 115 round nose complete jacketed shot 1.5 at 50. The gun liked the ammo and and AWT builds very accurate pistols.

2 hours ago, SilverBolt said:

Do both guns run the same barrel?  

Yes, both have the same barrel. I even switched the barrel/slide from one to the other. Lockup wasn't great but accuracy was better! Lockup is really tight with the barrel/slide that it was fit with!

I can get cloverleafs at that distance if I do my part. I’m running a 5” infinity ultimatch barrel and deltapoint pro on a Everglades Mount . Ammo is 8.5gn HS-6 w/115 gn Precision Delta JHP 1.165” at 172 PF

2 hours ago, johnsonian85 said:

Are your bullets hitting the comp?

When I picked up my open gun (used) I had to ream the comp and then everything tightened up. (Everglades 124 JHP, HS-6, never used anything else.)

Yes, I have ran a 9mm comp reamer down the comp. 

I have tried the everglades 124 and hs6.  That gave me the worst accuracy.  However my everglades bullets mic out at .3535". So I'm going to slug the bore. See if it's on loose side!

55 minutes ago, Stymie12000 said:

Yes, I have ran a 9mm comp reamer down the comp. 

I have tried the everglades 124 and hs6.  That gave me the worst accuracy.  However my everglades bullets mic out at .3535". So I'm going to slug the bore. See if it's on loose side!

Sorry to hear it didn't help!

Slugged both barrels. Both were the same. However in the process I noticed what looks to be baffle strikes.

Even though I ran a comp reamer. For some reason I may still be getting strikes. I'm going to put the barrel.in the lathe today and run some #. For some reason, maybe the comp is not running true to the bore! 

12 hours ago, Stymie12000 said:

Got the barrel on the lathe. Indicated in the barrel true. Sure enough the comp was .005" out round with the bore. So I opened the comp up to .375 to get the comp concentric with the bore. Now to go test!

That's probably it. I've found the comp reamers to not reliably relieve baffle strikes. I ream to 0.375" now and go.