Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finally did it - Atlas Gunworks

dthomas1003

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my idiot moment with the new gun and this info might help someone else. One of my main motivators to purchase an Atlas Titan Operator was to carry it on duty. After ordering it, I spoke with other 1911/2011 carriers and the consensus was that the Safariland holster made for a Springfield TRP Operator was the one to get. I ordered it and had it waiting when my Atlas arrived. I had an old Streamlight TLR-1 that I had removed from a rifle and put it on the pistol and checked the holster fit. It was a no go. No way was that going into the holster. Talk some more and try a Surefire X300 as it's not as wide as the Streamlight. I can't even get the light to attach to the pistol. Upon closer inspection, the rail adapter on both lights is way too wide for the accessory rail on the gun. Both adapters are 1913 adapters. The Streamlight was able to grip the sides of the rail just enough to give the impression of proper mounting. After much head scratching, I have the ah ha moment and remove the Streamlight from my current duty gun, a Glcok 17 and it fits like a glove. Test the gun in the holster and it goes right in and locks. Moral of the story, make sure your light is mounted properly to ensure a correct fit in the holster and not all accessory rails on handguns are 1913..lol

1 hour ago, dthomas1003 said:

Here's my idiot moment with the new gun and this info might help someone else. One of my main motivators to purchase an Atlas Titan Operator was to carry it on duty. After ordering it, I spoke with other 1911/2011 carriers and the consensus was that the Safariland holster made for a Springfield TRP Operator was the one to get. I ordered it and had it waiting when my Atlas arrived. I had an old Streamlight TLR-1 that I had removed from a rifle and put it on the pistol and checked the holster fit. It was a no go. No way was that going into the holster. Talk some more and try a Surefire X300 as it's not as wide as the Streamlight. I can't even get the light to attach to the pistol. Upon closer inspection, the rail adapter on both lights is way too wide for the accessory rail on the gun. Both adapters are 1913 adapters. The Streamlight was able to grip the sides of the rail just enough to give the impression of proper mounting. After much head scratching, I have the ah ha moment and remove the Streamlight from my current duty gun, a Glcok 17 and it fits like a glove. Test the gun in the holster and it goes right in and locks. Moral of the story, make sure your light is mounted properly to ensure a correct fit in the holster and not all accessory rails on handguns are 1913..lol

On the x300u did you swap out the mounting system to the one that is made specifically for metal framed guns? The light does not come ready for metal framed 2011s. Assuming you have the A and not B model.

• 3 weeks later...

DThomas,

How are you liking the gun? I have been looking at the Operator and am curious to see how people like them. I haven't seen too many reviews on the Operator model.

Any additional thoughts? How is the weight? Are you still loving it? I'm really curious about that grip. 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, geraldskip said:

DThomas,

How are you liking the gun? I have been looking at the Operator and am curious to see how people like them. I haven't seen too many reviews on the Operator model.

Any additional thoughts? How is the weight? Are you still loving it? I'm really curious about that grip. 

Thanks!

I have about 1,000 rounds through it which encompasses a couple of training sessions at work, a couple of Tuesday Night Steel matches, and firing it just to get the feel for it. It has been a mix of Speer Lawman 124gr and Speer GoldDot 124gr +p. Hands down the best shooting gun I have fired. With the Lawman ammo, the sights do not move and they only slightly move with the +p. This thing just shoots flat. Those that have watched me shoot it, that is always their first observation, how flat shooting it looks. It does have some weight to it but that helps getting the sights back on target. I do not notice it during the course of my shift anymore than I did the G17. The grip is awesome. Ergonomically, it fits my hand much better than the Glock and is much more comfortable. The rubberized grip tape is grippy and I do not have to worry about it tearing up my uniform. It's a very comfortable grip and it stays put in my hand. The slide moves like it is on ball bearings. Every thing else about the gun is just as good. My required 4 lb trigger breaks clean and crisp and you would think it was much lower. If you're looking to purchase some thing like it, you can buy with confidence. This is an excellent firearm and I am still blown away by it every time I shoot it. So much so that I have even considered shooting Limited Minor at the upcoming Area 2 Match just so I can shoot it, it shoots that well. 

Good stuff! 

For other fence sitters...

FWIW. Ben Stoeger, “the dark lord”, said that he’s never seen a limited gun from builders you’d recognize work out of the box...”except Atlas, they work. And Brazos”. 

He trains a lot of people and is a salty cynical guy. 

Episode 20 of PSAD. 

6 minutes ago, Paulie said:

Good stuff! 

For other fence sitters...

FWIW. Ben Stoeger, “the dark lord”, said that he’s never seen a limited gun from builders you’d recognize work out of the box...”except Atlas, they work. And Brazos”. 

He trains a lot of people and is a salty cynical guy. 

Episode 20 of PSAD. 

Salty, cynical and wrong in this case.

1 hour ago, RangerTrace said:

Salty, cynical and wrong in this case.

Yeah, it’s just his opinion. That and ten bucks will get you a coffee at Starbucks.

I know a guy personally who sent a Brazos gun back multiple times before it ran. 

And my Cheely Guns seem to get the job done.?

3 hours ago, Sarge said:

Yeah, it’s just his opinion. That and ten bucks will get you a coffee at Starbucks.

I know a guy personally who sent a Brazos gun back multiple times before it ran. 

And my Cheely Guns seem to get the job done.?

Sure.  I'm not bashing Atlas at all, I just have person experience with other brands that ran 100% from day one too.